SR20DET or 13B would be the best?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
orangebmw;559570 said:
u need to overhaul your M20...cost u about RM2k only...my overhauled M20 cost me RM2.5k only including labor, 12 new valves (broken when timing belt putus:rock:), piston ring, conrod bearing, gaskets, all water..vacuum...petrol and oil hoses, oilseals including gearbox and longshaft oilseals...everything new and cost only 1/3 of SR20 halfcut price :top:...

care to share the workshop??:love::eek:

M30-Newbie;559728 said:
So cheap? OMG... my mechanic quote me RM5k for that full overhaul. :listen:

haha...go buy spareparts by yourself :top:...much cheaper than leave the car to mechanic and pay lump sum total bill...i buy sparepart in penang which the shop also order from Bavarian Auto Segambut...i think if u in KL can get cheaper parts from Bavarian auto since u buy directly from there...

db8;559800 said:
care to share the workshop??:love::eek:

haha...the workshop at kangar, perlis :)...i'm from perlis...just a 'kampung' workshop can overhaul BMW...so i think in KL lot of workshop can rebuild your UDM perfectly..ask sifu of E30 in this forum...:top:

m20 part so cheap compare from my previously gsr eng..m20 timing belt only rm45...huhu...

fabianyee;559140 said:
I have driven an E30 with SR20DET, have to say it's fast on the straight, cos was playing around with the GTech meter for 0-60mph drag... IIRC, can do it under 7 sec.. but it didn't feel like a BMW anymore...

for E30, there are various schools of thot on engine choices (sticking back to BMW engines).
1) handling - less frontal weight - better agility. M42 is a good choice... Can brake later into corners, B road champions.
2) Power - stroked M20, M5x or even S50... Straight line acceleration is brutal. Handling would be compromised due to heavier front.
3) torque muscle... M30 3.5 engine... More raw muscle, can probably pootle around town in 5th gear...
4) extreme - M60 4.0 (V8s), S62 V8 5.0 from the E39 M5...
5) Extremely mad - S85 V10 5.0 from the E60 M5...

Each has its pros and cons...

If u really want a jap engine in the BMW, can I suggest the F20C instead, 4 pot VTEC with 240hp.. hehe... not many of that around... ;)

Bro, I found Most extreme mad conversion:
V12 from M70
[video=youtube;1bhHuw2ZFGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bhHuw2ZFGE&feature=related[/video]

Stick with BMW engines.. there are so many options out there,u just need to look for it.Like Mizhan said earlier,meet up with the e30 guys and they will point u in the right direction.

U want turbo power,try look up some Scandinavian sites.These guys are known for their turbocharged BMWs,done on original BMW engines mind..my first car was a '87 e30 320i coupe.It was nice but lacked oomph so I went for a transplant.Got myself a 2.5 M20 with manual gearbox,engine was taken apart,cleaned,port&polished and viola! Very very nice car indeed,tho it lacked the power of a turbo,the chassis was just sublime! Everytime I drove her,I had a grin from ear to ear! Toh from Speedworks had a complete 2.7 engine at that time,but he wanted rm14k for it,and I just started working so salary wasn't that good.Couldn't afford it so I went for the cheaper option,a standard 2.5.If only I could turn back time..

If I were ur position,I'd go for an M50B25.

I truly agree with Supergripen...nothing like the original roar of BMW Engines!!:top:

johnj;563962 said:
I truly agree with Supergripen...nothing like the original roar of BMW Engines!!:top:

...and the superb feel from the chassis of a e30.

Even compared to my hard riding,hard charging e90,my old e30 gave me more satisfaction..and not to mention the silly grin on my face everytime I drive her:4:

Maybe I should start another e30 project huh?? Still got my ESS Twinscrew.. M52B28,e30,TS2...hmmmm:idea:

After long time decision... Now i already make decision to transplant in an E36 - M52TUB25 (double vanos)

How you think about this? Need alot of modification?

M30-Newbie;566733 said:
After long time decision... Now i already make decision to transplant in an E36 - M52TUB25 (double vanos)

Thats a very good decision...a good mechanic will be able to do a good job!

M30-Newbie;566733 said:

why dont you just turbo the current engine in your e30? its not as expensive as you think. as 350whp in an E30 chasis is plenty much :D

M30-Newbie;566733 said:

Since when E36 has the M52TU double vanos???? or was it from the E46?

E36 has the M52B25 which was used in the E36 323i and similiar to the engine in the E39 523i with 170hp... BMW detuned it from 190hp so as to 'create' a power gap to the M52B28 with 192hp.... The M50TUB25 from the E36 325i has ~190hp....

And u need the oil sump from the E34 M50 engine for your E30 conversion, as the oil sump from the E36 will not clear the E30 subframe... This is one of the many possible things u'll encounter along the way...

fabianyee;566922 said:
Since when E36 has the M52TU double vanos???? or was it from the E46?

E36 has the M52B25 which was used in the E36 323i and similiar to the engine in the E39 523i with 170hp... BMW detuned it from 190hp so as to 'create' a power gap to the M52B28 with 192hp.... The M50TUB25 from the E36 325i has ~190hp....

And u need the oil sump from the E34 M50 engine for your E30 conversion, as the oil sump from the E36 will not clear the E30 subframe... This is one of the many possible things u'll encounter along the way...

I still not saw the halfcut, just the mechanic told me that E36 halfcut is M52TU got double vanos. It cause me RM 8000 just for the halfcut... RM 10k is complete OTR.

I not sure it true or not.. but I search in wikipedia, I found the year 1998 - 2001 E36 got M52TUB25. BTW I believe it would not be a E36 halfcut as you said, and i think it suppose to be a E46 too. How u think?

here the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M52

Top Bottom