SR20DET or 13B would be the best?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
M30-Newbie;558739 said:
I'm new in BCM, hope all senior can help me~

I do have an E30 Coupe, but engine was bust. So now thinking to upgrade to either SR20DET (S14) or 13B (FD3S), even both half cut was found with fair price and both was loaded too.

How you all suggestion, go for SR20DET or 13B? I will accept and listen to all party of suggestion.:top:

Ok this is where most of the ppl who ask this same question got their facts wrong.
What makes a BMW a BMW is not just the body panels, BMW emblems, or its looks but its german engineered engine.
Now why would someone wants to stick a jap motor into a BMW body? Just for the sake of cost? so then why not get rid of your BMW and get a japanese car altogather?

And you came here to a BMW enthusiasts' club and ask how to "destroy" an e30?
I suggest you sell your e30 and get a japanse car.

This is my take on your question.

i wish the moderators would make a decision on discussions regarding non-BMW engines in BMWs. there are a at least half-a-dozen local websites which are more appropriate for this.

I have driven an E30 with SR20DET, have to say it's fast on the straight, cos was playing around with the GTech meter for 0-60mph drag... IIRC, can do it under 7 sec.. but it didn't feel like a BMW anymore...

for E30, there are various schools of thot on engine choices (sticking back to BMW engines).
1) handling - less frontal weight - better agility. M42 is a good choice... Can brake later into corners, B road champions.
2) Power - stroked M20, M5x or even S50... Straight line acceleration is brutal. Handling would be compromised due to heavier front.
3) torque muscle... M30 3.5 engine... More raw muscle, can probably pootle around town in 5th gear...
4) extreme - M60 4.0 (V8s), S62 V8 5.0 from the E39 M5...
5) Extremely mad - S85 V10 5.0 from the E60 M5...

Each has its pros and cons...

If u really want a jap engine in the BMW, can I suggest the F20C instead, 4 pot VTEC with 240hp.. hehe... not many of that around... ;)

mizhan;559120 said:
i wish the moderators would make a decision on discussions regarding non-BMW engines in BMWs. there are a at least half-a-dozen local websites which are more appropriate for this.

Understand your sorrow of witnessing yet another lovely Bavarian engineering masterpiece going to be surgically operated into a Frankenstein.

The good news is your E30 will appreciate more in value through time when there's lesser and lesser authentic E30 survive this cruel world. Glad to know that not all E30 fell prey to hands that does not appreciate Bavarian motorsports history.

S2000 engine in E30..... sluuuurp! :love: :D :D

mizhan;559163 said:
AB, basket la you.. :eviltongue:

Scary to even imagining going for E30 meet and find yourself surrounded by Frankensteins.. :saint:

A: How's your E30 engine?
B: Aiyaa.. I am looking SR20 extractor la.
C: What the better rear diff to mate 13B? Any idea?
A: :62:

is it easy to find for m42 engine? and how much it would cost?

astroboy;559202 said:
Scary to even imagining going for E30 meet and find yourself surrounded by Frankensteins.. :saint:

A: How's your E30 engine?
B: Aiyaa.. I am looking SR20 extractor la.
C: What the better rear diff to mate 13B? Any idea?
A: :62:

Pain answer~

mizhan;559120 said:

your idea was the Best! Because not all people still stick to BMW engine therefore when we talk in here, it hurt the feeling of real BMW fan. Please forgive me for my asking hurt feeling question to all BMW fan.

M30-Newbie;559372 said:
your idea was the Best! Because not all people still stick to BMW engine therefore when we talk in here, it hurt the feeling of real BMW fan. Please forgive me for my asking hurt feeling question to all BMW fan.

buy me a drink. we'll figure out a way to replace your dead engine with another BMW one that fits your wallet.

mizhan;559375 said:
buy me a drink. we'll figure out a way to replace your dead engine with another BMW one that fits your wallet.

no problem man~
M3 S14 engine still able to find?

make friends, and ask around. do it the old fashioned way - face to face. forget about asking for (serious) help via forums and internet in general.

db8;559212 said:
is it easy to find for m42 engine? and how much it would cost?

alamak nobody want to answer me ka? :sleep::motz::bawling:

db8;559381 said:
alamak nobody want to answer me ka? :sleep::motz::bawling:

There's search button for you to use... ;)
There are few threads regarding on M42...

i owned E30 RB20 before and sell it...now E30 323i M20B23...
as comparison - power of course la RB20
maintenance - M20 cheaper than RB20...M20 parts cheaper by half of RB20 price
headache? - RB20...M20 less headache

now, new owner of my previous RB20 E30 also convert the car back to M20B25...no more headache :)

M30-Newbie;559052 said:
I was using M20 engine and the problem on engine is:
1. About 2 year already, the white smoke issue. Previously I need to top up every week, now seem everyday already.
2. Compressor air-cond bust already
3. Over heat issue when on traffic jam
4. Under power
5. Clutch almost finish already
6. High mileage, currently already 700k ++

Therefore consider to change engine rather than repairing, but beside this I also consider about M50 engine.

u need to overhaul your M20...cost u about RM2k only...my overhauled M20 cost me RM2.5k only including labor, 12 new valves (broken when timing belt putus:rock:), piston ring, conrod bearing, gaskets, all water..vacuum...petrol and oil hoses, oilseals including gearbox and longshaft oilseals...everything new and cost only 1/3 of SR20 halfcut price :top:...

orangebmw;559570 said:
u need to overhaul your M20...cost u about RM2k only...my overhauled M20 cost me RM2.5k only including labor, 12 new valves (broken when timing belt putus:rock:), piston ring, conrod bearing, gaskets, all water..vacuum...petrol and oil hoses, oilseals including gearbox and longshaft oilseals...everything new and cost only 1/3 of SR20 halfcut price :top:...

So cheap? OMG... my mechanic quote me RM5k for that full overhaul. :listen:

M30-Newbie;559728 said:
So cheap? OMG... my mechanic quote me RM5k for that full overhaul. :listen:

Bro u need to browse more the forum. Get on hold of E30 sifu & enthusiast.
Sometimes BMW is cheaper than Japs. Even if more expensive it will last longer & give different kind of feeling. I fall in love with BMW when I sat for 1st time in a fren 14yrs old E30 318i.

Top Bottom