SR20DET or 13B would be the best?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

M30-Newbie

Club Guest
I'm new in BCM, hope all senior can help me~I do have an E30 Coupe, but engine was bust. So now thinking to upgrade to either SR20DET (S14) or 13B (FD3S), even both half cut was found with fair price and both was loaded too.How you all suggestion, go for SR20DET or 13B? I will accept and listen to all party of suggestion.:top:

i have yet to see an e30 with a 13b inside in msia..perhaps you should pioneer the project heehe

13B would be interesting but be prepared for a lot of modification done to fit that into the engine bay...
And engine overhaul every 50,000km or 100,000km to change the apex seals..

jumpman;558743 said:
i have yet to see an e30 with a 13b inside in msia..perhaps you should pioneer the project heehe

In May land, I think 13B engine is not popular. Because:
1. They think rotary not lasting
2. Fuel eater
3. Very hard to find an pro mechanic
4. Maybe hard to get part.

Back to topic, If E30 convert to SR20DET. Many modification need to be done?

Suggestion: sr20

Better suggestion: keep BMW heart, perhaps different engine, for as long as it stays within BMW family.

It might be cheaper to get one from mudah. Complete cars, with Jap engines fitted.

kgb;558757 said:
Suggestion: sr20

Better suggestion: keep BMW heart, perhaps different engine, for as long as it stays within BMW family.

It might be cheaper to get one from mudah. Complete cars, with Jap engines fitted.

Mind to show me that link?

'upgrade' to a japanese engine?? i think you're in the wrong forum. this Club is affiliated with BMW Council International; doubt they will appreciate.

when i get my 1st bimmer belong to my dad e30 bout 10 years ago i trasnplant to rb20det...but the result like shit i spend so alot of money so regret.................better stick to the ori eng.

mizhan;558845 said:
'upgrade' to a japanese engine?? i think you're in the wrong forum. this Club is affiliated with BMW Council International; doubt they will appreciate.

aiya bro..give pple a break la :top:

mizhan;558845 said:

Sorry for that~ But I'm thinking to have an turbo charge engine and cheap to maintains, so BMW engine would be forgiven.

M30-Newbie;558876 said:
Sorry for that~ But I'm thinking to have an turbo charge engine and cheap to maintains, so BMW engine would be forgiven.

Brudder, what engine are you currently using in your e30? M20 M40?

Have you checked around how much it would cost to replace it with a similar unit? (times cheaper than putting Jap engine)

How long have you "suffered" with bmw engine problems before deciding to let go of it? So far i found my M40 to be quiet reliable and not that expensive to maintain. Parts are plenty and reasonably priced, at times cheaper than SR20 parts that you'll be requiring soon.

When selling, you might find it a bit challenging to let go, as none of bmw enthusiasts bother with it, given Jap engine was installed.

All i am saying is, reconsider! Stick to ORI, stick to BMW. :top:

:68:Don't suffered your e30 la bro...:78: just go to buy silvia or rx7 if u want to feel the turbo charge..:10: Hmm...:39:

318is engine would be suffice for E30:top:
Better still get S14 engine:listen:

[video=youtube;Gs2gSPk52lY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs2gSPk52lY&feature=related[/video]

kgb;558902 said:
Brudder, what engine are you currently using in your e30? M20 M40?

Have you checked around how much it would cost to replace it with a similar unit? (times cheaper than putting Jap engine)

How long have you "suffered" with bmw engine problems before deciding to let go of it? So far i found my M40 to be quiet reliable and not that expensive to maintain. Parts are plenty and reasonably priced, at times cheaper than SR20 parts that you'll be requiring soon.

When selling, you might find it a bit challenging to let go, as none of bmw enthusiasts bother with it, given Jap engine was installed.

All i am saying is, reconsider! Stick to ORI, stick to BMW. :top:

I was using M20 engine and the problem on engine is:
1. About 2 year already, the white smoke issue. Previously I need to top up every week, now seem everyday already.
2. Compressor air-cond bust already
3. Over heat issue when on traffic jam
4. Under power
5. Clutch almost finish already
6. High mileage, currently already 700k ++

Therefore consider to change engine rather than repairing, but beside this I also consider about M50 engine.

Rastabimmer;559042 said:
:68:Don't suffered your e30 la bro...:78: just go to buy silvia or rx7 if u want to feel the turbo charge..:10: Hmm...:39:

Sorry... E30 was my birthday present given by my dad when I was 20 year old, now still loving with the outlook of E30 even already drove it about 7 year ago.

M30-Newbie;559055 said:
Sorry... E30 was my birthday present given by my dad when I was 20 year old, now still loving with the outlook of E30 even already drove it about 7 year ago.

Then you should appreciate her more. M50 is a good choice. Can ask E30 sifu bout it:top:

M30-Newbie;559055 said:

Hmm...it's mean a sentimental value for u,so don't suffered your e30 with turbo engines...my friends e30 sr20 already kena tapau with e30 C1 alpina 2.3,:20: lost his mind & now in projects convert back to ori e30 engines but with 2.7 power..:trytofly: huh...:40: m50 or m52 oso better choice...:top:

Top Bottom