SMG I characteristics

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Riezal-R

Club Guest
*This thread should read "SMG/SSG" instead of "SMG I"*Test drove an E46 325i SMG/SSG today. It was my first ever experience with the SMG gearbox. Everything went smooth, but I'd like to find out the actual characteristics of the gearbox.While in C mode, the shifting was just slightly laggy/jerky, compared to a normal auto. The throttle was about 50% open, the car lags/jerks a bit while changing gear, and picks up again after the shift. I thought SMG would shift faster than a manual gearbox, but as I experienced earlier, it wasnt the case. If anything, I could shift a stick just as fast, with a proper racing clutch.So i was told that when the gear is shifting, I should lay off the throttle slightly, so that the lag/jerk won't be felt so much. I tried that method and true enough, the jerk/lag wasn't as significant as before. So that means, when im driving the SMG, i should constantly layoff the throttle everytime the gear shifting. But is this how the SMG should be driven? Seems like a tiptronic would shift smoother than the SMG.My worry is that the slight lag/jerk means that the gearbox was faulty or not optimum. Do share any experiences any of you may have with the SMG.

I got no experience with SMG I but have read that it was BMW's first cut attempt at the semi-auto manual gearbox. The SMG II followed soon after and I'm told is a lot better. There are impending incarnations which are still work-in-progress. It's as if BMW realises they're not the best in this aspect and are striving to improve quickly. It kinda reminds me of the Selespeed, which was very bad initially, and improved to not so bad but still bad in the 147.

I've been in an M3 with SMG II, the shifts are much smoother. An improvement from the SMG I. But i'm still curious of the characteristics of the SMG I.

Had test drive my fren m3 smg II... hell is a big NO to me... Super jerky will make u puke... Tried dunno wat S3~6 mode worst... but engagement of the gear is definitely faster.

Think only the driver will like it but not the passenger, never know when the jerkiness will shock u.

The jerky-ness im experiencing is not to the the point of puking.. but yes, it would be uncomfortable to a passenger who does not appreciate race-like gear shifts.

After having done a little more research, i've come across such statements:

"it does not change like an automatic and, to some, it feels weird that the acceleration pauses momentarily as it changes gears."

This is exactly what im experiencing. The 'lag'.

"Sounds to me like you might be trying to drive like an automatic. make sure ur lifting the gas on shifts."

"Switch so Sport mode and the gears would shift faster. Less jerky."

Is this how the SMG should be driven? Feedback from non-M3 SMG owners would be great.

SMG 1 sounds like it works as well as the AMT in the Savvy. :stupido2:

The AMT in Savvy is laggy and changes pretty slowly, but quite smoothly though... It actually crept forward in 1st gear on the test drive unit that I drove, not a good idea for an automated manual. If the AMT is reliable it should be okay on a non-performance small car like the Savvy. No idea on SMG1...

Another car out here with an automated manual is the Smart Forfour... haven't driven also...

Good info on the Savvy, but I'm more curious to know if seech has driven both the SMG and the Savvy.

no lah bro. Haven't driven SMG but have driven AMT. Tats why from reading all your descriptions I mentioned that it 'sounds' like AMT.

Actually Savvy does not have a 'creep' function in the AMT. Maybe LCP's Savvy is different or Proton 'upgraded' software to allow for creep. The one I drove doesn't move until you step on the accelerator. A bit tricky on slopes if you ask me. Step too little and it rolls back, step too much and it jumps forward. Dangerous man.

AMT shift quality in Auto mode is terrible. All jerky and it holds the gears too long. Manual shifting is ok. I would agree that it is quite smooth and not too laggy. Interesting but ultimately I wouldn't buy one. Quality is terrible. For that money can get a decent 34 with plenty of cash to spare for the inevitable breakdown and repairs. :)

LCP;255429 said:
The AMT in Savvy is laggy and changes pretty slowly, but quite smoothly though... It actually crept forward in 1st gear on the test drive unit that I drove, not a good idea for an automated manual. If the AMT is reliable it should be okay on a non-performance small car like the Savvy. No idea on SMG1...

Another car out here with an automated manual is the Smart Forfour... haven't driven also...

Have a Smart 4/4 and you need to get use to it or else the lag when it changes gear is quite irritating. Once you are use to it you will automatically release the trottle a bit at each shift. It is easier to use the manual mode where you can time when to release the trottle. Citreon C2 is similar.

SMG is better but for this type of car it could have been better.

I guess "lag" is the keyword here for the automated manuals, especially in auto mode. And all are better off by changing manually and lifting off the throttle a bit.

I've been driving the SMG/SSG for 5 days now and I don't think its that bad at all. Yes, it could be improved (which BMW has done with SMG II & III), but the SMG/SSG isn't all that bad. It is loads of fun to drive once you get to know how the gearbox works and the best way to drive it.

It needs to be treated just like a manual. Only difference is that the computer controls the clutch for you. Easing off the throttle when changing gears and understanding when the gears would shift, helps to smoothen the ride. No more jerks. It takes a bit more effort compared to driving a normal automatic, but its something that I do not mind at all.

The only slight problem I'm facing at the moment, is that the car does not like to be driven at slow speeds! The gearshifts and ride is much smoother at high speeds, compared to driving at slow speeds.

Any worksyop is recomended for us to hand over our SMG to them? any expert in SMG system?

Riezal-R;255646 said:
I've been driving the SMG/SSG for 5 days now and I don't think its that bad at all. Yes, it could be improved (which BMW has done with SMG II & III), but the SMG/SSG isn't all that bad. It is loads of fun to drive once you get to know how the gearbox works and the best way to drive it.

It needs to be treated just like a manual. Only difference is that the computer controls the clutch for you. Easing off the throttle when changing gears and understanding when the gears would shift, helps to smoothen the ride. No more jerks. It takes a bit more effort compared to driving a normal automatic, but its something that I do not mind at all.

The only slight problem I'm facing at the moment, is that the car does not like to be driven at slow speeds! The gearshifts and ride is much smoother at high speeds, compared to driving at slow speeds.

Hi Riezal,

I couldnt resist commenting on this topic...

Im glad that you have adapted to the SMG transmission. I used to drive the smg for 4 years in my 325i...and I must say that, once you learn to shift, its as smooth as driving a manual. Driver and passengers cant feel the shift.Be it driviing fast or slow, it can be smooth...I think you got the thinking right...treat it like a manual because it is a manual tranmission - with actuators. If you are a Top Gear mag reader, there was an article by Clarkson recently that explains all the different transmission techs nowadays, including SMG, M-DCT etc. Being one of the earlier AMTs, obviously its not as "fast" as the newer trannys, e.g. the DSG. Anyhow, the key thing that SMG gives is the ability for you to exert control while driving...the launch control, and the ability to control your gear shifts when entering and exiting corners, overtaking slow pokes on steptronics or simply enjoying the whine and roar of the M54 2.5 straight six as it revs to 5/6k RPM...

Anyway, this is not a new topic, a few years back there was quite a bit of discussion in this forum on this topic as well. Enjoy the car!

Top Bottom