Should I get a BMW or Audi?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Bro, a tankful of petrol in my 7 recently cost approx S$170... I cry every time at the fuel station, not smile

Personally age is no factors in choosing the series you are looking for, more so of your requirement.
I am 28 and I have been driving a five for the last 3 years. ( E60 then the current F10)
I prefer the 5 over the 3 because we do have a 3 at home and the 5 provide much more cosseting ride and i like the IL6 Smoothness.

If you have factor in your financial calculation and the 5/ E is within easy reach. ( some studies suggest you should never pay 25% of your income for monthly maintainence of the car, 30% for your house) then by all means get it

In Malaysia,27 year old female buying an exec will be like a poor fitting glove as most 40 years old managerial level would not be able to afford one. Please consider you are a very lucky bunch and same goes to a lot of bros here.
With the current climate, female and high end luxury cars will/ might be target by mobsters so please be extra careful

In terms of two cars that you narrowed down, both are great. From financial point of view, the E250 will make a really good buy as is 6k cheaper and 30 k cheaper than the 523i. In Sg, the E250 is more expensive.
1.8 Komp engine producing >200 engine is more than sufficient for daily usage ( your req) and is still relatively fuel frugal compare to similar level/ class of cars.
And E250 is one hell of a solid car. I tested it, sat in it.. is luxurious and solid, reminded me of the old W124 and W126 ( Best S Class ever made) I was considering this against a 523i But the Bimmer got the better of me of various factors.

520D, what can I say, the F10 is perfect mid executive car. fantastic looks and engine. I test driven the 320d and was blown away!Just imagine the diesel engine with the Smooth 8 Speed ( Merc only 5 speeder) plus better NVH. It will be a joy..
The interior design and 10.2 inch I drive monitor is also a nudge better.

If you are in the market for a exec level like this 6k is marginal. ppl spent> ten thousands on bodykit and rims respectively! Modding the car is expensive!
I can safely say, you can forego the idea of 523I as is already an outgoing model, and it doest make economical sense in the trio.

Hope this helps

+1 what ck318ci said :) - another thing, I reckon the present F10 will age a LOT more gracefully than the awkward (personal opinion only, pls don't flame me) current model E-class. Sadly, I think the current Mercedes design direction has really taken a turn for the worse since the last generation's smooth, sleek lines - as unreliable the old W203, W211 were, at least they were pleasing to the eyes, but the new ones can't seem to make up their minds whether they wanna be boxy or fluid and end up being a mish-mashing of both...

ck318ci;687611 said:
... most 40 years old managerial level would not be able to afford one....

smiles_76.gif

Sorry bro...
Infact, i know a lot of uncle aunty who in their 40s and work as a manager level for some years are not able to afford a BMW, to them, a toyota altis is already very good..

So, peeps from BMWCLUBMALAYSIA are indeed very fortunate..

TrincyLim;687570 said:
I guess it's better to spend on car rather than on unnecessary stuffs, which I have spent too much. :p

This is a good one! I think u can be a good BMW owner, Cheers!!!

wobbles;687584 said:
Don't have to envy me, dear - at my age (39, turning 40 next year), I envy people like YOU.

Hey, u are bro wobbles! , not uncle lah!!!

wobbles;687575 said:
Of course! It's no obligation - in fact, I would say you HAVE to test drive before you decide.

The 520d is more expensive because it runs on diesel, and you will save more money in the long term with every visit to refuel at the pump. How much more expensive is it, compared to the E250? Mind you, the E250 is actually a 1.8L engine, so it's actually th smallest engine in the range, although tuned to produce more power than the base E200 which has the same engine, but a lower output. If the price difference isn't punitively prohibitive, I'd probably still go for the car your heart said 'yes' to the first time :)

Just to add a bit, in my humble opinion, actually what really make the BMW 520d shine is on its 380Nm torque. For the fuel consumption aspect, I think should not be a too significant factor for consideration, i.e. comparing 523i and 520d, over 100,000km driving distance, 523i real life average FC = 10.5L/100km, 520d's FC = 7.2L/100km, so 523i will used a total of 10,500Liters@RM1.90/L = RM19,950.00, 520d will used 7,200Liter@RM1.80=RM12,960.00, a difference of RM6,990.00 over say 5 years.

Both the BMW and Merc customers are of very distinctly different character.

One is more incline to take risk, want excitement, be in control, sporty, performance, point A to point B with adrenalin rush... while the other stresses on practicality, reliability, boring, laid back, classy, comfort, point A to point B without drama, etc.

All the numbers provided by morrogan above to Trincy, should be secondary. I have yet to find out if Trincy is the boring or exciting type.. Seriously Merc is a boxy, square and boring car, fit for the nerds while BMW fellas are all risk takers, living like there's no tomorrow.. buying a BMW is actually taking a plunge.. after you drove BMW, the next problem you'll face is you run out of replacement car options because the rest just doesn't feel the same.

We want to feel every bump on the road so that we are connected to the road and can react accordingly while Merc try to isolate the driver/passenger from feeling every bumps on the road because that's the main objective of "comfort", drive through bumps as if there's no bumps. One will tell you your car is spinning and demanding you to react while another try to hide from you that your car has lost control. See the difference in car build philosophy? :4:

If tomorrow is the end of the world, I seriously suggest you to take the BMW! Merc can wait till next life! :4: One is the roller coaster, main attraction in the theme park and the other is the spinning tea cup, sitting next to the similar boring merry-go-round.. do u dare to ride with us?!

EL118;687652 said:
Hey, u are bro wobbles! , not uncle lah!!!

Haha ... bro to you ... uncle to TrincyLim. I have to admit, I'm not as young, slim, handsome as I would like to think I was anymore... Now, when I stand in the bathroom, I can't even see my toes, the tummy is in the way... reality bites & the truth hurts hahaha

astroboy;687677 said:
Both the BMW and Merc customers are of very distinctly different character.

One is more incline to take risk, want excitement, be in control, sporty, performance, point A to point B with adrenalin rush... while the other stresses on practicality, reliability, boring, laid back, classy, comfort, point A to point B without drama, etc.

All the numbers provided by morrogan above to Trincy, should be secondary. I have yet to find out if Trincy is the boring or exciting type.. Seriously Merc is a boxy, square and boring car, fit for the nerds while BMW fellas are all risk takers, living like there's no tomorrow.. buying a BMW is actually taking a plunge.. after you drove BMW, the next problem you'll face is you run out of replacement car options because the rest just doesn't feel the same.

We want to feel every bump on the road so that we are connected to the road and can react accordingly while Merc try to isolate the driver/passenger from feeling every bumps on the road because that's the main objective of "comfort", drive through bumps as if there's no bumps. One will tell you your car is spinning and demanding you to react while another try to hide from you that you car has lost control. See the difference in car build philosophy? :4:

Astroboy, I respect your opinion - but, that's a little bit of an over-generalization & stereotype :).

An M3 might be one for the hoons, just as an AMG C63 would be as well, but given how luxurious and comfortable the latest incarnation of the venerable 5s & 7s have become, I would propose that the new(er) BMWs no longer fit the picture you painted.

In fact, the new 5 series was recently voted the top Executive Car in 2011, as seen in this LINK here. You don't become the world's best Executive Car by being a buckling bronco & bouncing the buttocks off the driver!

wobbles;687679 said:
Haha ... bro to you ... uncle to TrincyLim. I have to admit, I'm not as young, slim, handsome as I would like to think I was anymore... Now, when I stand in the bathroom, I can't even see my toes, the tummy is in the way... reality bites & the truth hurts hahaha

Life starts at 40 for men, my bro.

At 40, one has wisdom, financial freedom, status, "reasonably" good energy (i supposed, ha ha). No wonder u are enjoying life with your Beemer collections.

EL118;687689 said:
Life starts at 40 for men, my bro.

At 40, one has wisdom, financial freedom, status, "reasonably" good energy (i supposed, ha ha). No wonder u are enjoying life with your Beemer collections.

Hahaha ... well, from what I've been privileged to see of your E60 & E66 & the lovely house in which those beauties come home to park, I have to say you've started enjoying life even EARLIER than 40! Well done sir!

Enough said.... I see you two as my idol...will want to be like you guys when i am more senior.. hahaha

namidub;687586 said:
I am 28 and i envy you at your age have the luxury of choosing an E or a 5er!
As for now i will enjoy my 320d and smile every time i sit behind the wheel AND during refueling..

:listen: think about how many 28 years old out there will envy you when they are driving a Honda Civic but you are already riding on a spanking E90 320d! :rolleyes:

wobbles;687679 said:

Ha ha ha! I don't know whether to cry :20: or to laugh :24: cos although I can still see my toes... but I can't see my neck anymore :71::top:

wobbles;687685 said:
Astroboy, I respect your opinion - but, that's a little bit of an over-generalization & stereotype :).

An M3 might be one for the hoons, just as an AMG C63 would be as well, but given how luxurious and comfortable the latest incarnation of the venerable 5s & 7s have become, I would propose that the new(er) BMWs no longer fit the picture you painted....

That's why I'm driving a 3-series.. :4: As the newer BMWs are all growing in size.. I seriously do not know what they want to gain.. I only know my porch is not growing.. :dontknow:

wobbles;687685 said:

An M3 might be one for the hoons, just as an AMG C63 would be as well, but given how luxurious and comfortable the latest incarnation of the venerable 5s & 7s have become, I would propose that the new(er) BMWs no longer fit the picture you painted.

In fact, the new 5 series was recently voted the top Executive Car in 2011, as seen in this LINK here. You don't become the world's best Executive Car by being a buckling bronco & bouncing the buttocks off the driver!

I think I side tracked along the way... back to the questions of whether 5 series (F10) better or the new E250 CGI better.... very easy one (don't flame me ah) :tomato: :
- BMW F10 520d ==> a potentially sexy girl that is appreciative of power and knows her stuff :8: --> where to find? :love:
- Merc E250 CGI ==> a play-it safe girl who is appreciative of the finner things in life :biggrin: --> also good but boring sikit la...

End of the day... both marques are great cars.. but if u would to ask me to advice my other half... :listen: I would tell her to pick the Beemer! :top:

and yeah... cheers to making a GREAT CHOICE! :beer:

If the pretty girl is very loaded and doesn't mind pumping full tanks of petrol evry 500-600km, then the 523i.
If she is careful with her pennies and likes a car that gives close to 1000kms for a full tank, then the 520d.
Also, mind you, in Malaysia diesel is cheaper than petrol per litre.
With the energy crisis and economic fallout hitting the world, I would bet that fuel prices would be on the way up over the next few years, even decades.
So if you say you are going to keep the car for 5 to 8 years, the diesel's a no-brainer. The longer you drive the petrol car, the more pennies you are gonna bleed.
Also, because of the sturdier components of a diesel engine and the lower RPMs it has to work at, there's less wear n tear and they last years and years more than petrol engines.
Ever noticed the odd old bas mini from the 70's still plying our roads? That's diesel's longetivity for all to see!
The 320d the 520d would be your best bets!
They are the winning horses for decades to come!

Top Bottom