Sepang Experience With The Z4

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

raz451

Club Guest
Hello Z4ers!I post to share my experience I had at Sepang for the High Performance Challenge yesterday. Although, I had initially registered my E46 for the event, a voice inside my head kept bugging me to take the Z4 out to play. Call me crazy, but that was just what I did! As a newbie to track driving, I was enrolled into the Group 1 category, with a sit-in instructor. I almost gave up the idea on my arrival to Sepang F1 Circuit. I was jittery. Despite the assurances from fellow members who were there, that it was going to be more disciplined in Group 1 with no overtaking on corners, and that I should go about it at my own pace, I was still paranoid. The thought of having someone bumped into me from the back sent shivers down my spine. (Well, it’s only natural I would feel that way as insurance coverage does not include track driving!):eek:I started off really bad. Think I was the most courteous driver ever on track. Willingly letting others passed. :driver: Hey! There’s always the first time. I was really tensed and my palms were sweating a river. I was busy looking out for cones for braking and cornering and with the cars coming nearer at high speed behind me, I almost freaked out.On the second session (we were given 3 sessions of 25 minutes each in all) I did a tiny bit better, according to my instructor, although I did not feel the difference. But I managed the corners more at ease in comparison to the first round but still letting others passed me. The third round was wondrous! I went in with the top down. I should have done that earlier. At least I could have felt more comfortable despite the never-ending nervousness. With the full-faced helmet and the soft-top up my head, I felt restricted and cooped up. This last bit was more spirited. Corners were taken with more power and surge. With the wind gushing through me, my confidence built-up and the adrenaline level pitched high. I had refused overtakers initially but gave in when I made a sharp turn a little too late thus having the others too near for comfort.I would strongly recommend that you guys consider this event the next time around. It’s an experience of a lifetime. You can never get the feel of the real Z4 no matter where you take it to, be it the trunk road of Ulu Yam, up and down the hills of Genting Highlands or through our infamous evenly distributed pot-holed roads. I realised yesterday that the Z4 is actually a sensuous roadster. I could feel the smoothness as it crooned its way into my heart, especially during the last few rounds. Shifting the gear to Sports make the Z4 even more responsive. It grips like a leech on corners. The handling and brakes, like all BMW, are almost flawless. It’s definitely not a racer’s car and I, of course, did not push it hard enough but it did turn a mediocre driver like me to a speed demon (wannabe lah!).I hate to admit this but I think I’m hooked. Maybe, the next event we could all go together? How’s that?

raz451,

your aprehension going onto the track with a beloved machine - is very much understood. The fact there was little untoward incidents ( none in your case ) lies with the simple fact, we in HPC are very strict on rules especially on the passing rules and flags. I hope you paid attention to Brian's and my briefing. In any case - as said to you, you had one of our best instructor for the day - Hafidz but then again, I believe we are all equally good and passionate about instructing. ( Hafidz has anyhow car racing experience in Sepang, like some of us )

As you were aware, the Mini group came in force in the afternoon ( Group 2 ) - and we had to stop some drivers from driving further as they dun even know what a red flag meant. In the end, everyone had to wait for these few reckless few ones to come in, before play can be resumed for their friends.

IMHO, Group 1 is hence, by far the safest group to join if you want to experience Sepang track safely. Do at an open day and its like driving on Federal Highway with maniacs all around you!

Well, thanks for your kind words and hope to see you & your nice black beauty again.

Best regards,
Jules
HPC Head Instructor

Looking forward for HPC participants to share their "live to tell" experience and finally raz started a thread by herself!

WOW!!....

What an experience! and I'm pretty sure others would have different stories to tell. Looking forward for more!

Were there debris on the track where an overtaking car can potentially kick into your face and leave behind scar on your face and screen? When some cars went off road, they will bring debris onto the track and can be kicked up at well over 200kph and shoot into another car... kind of scary.. :( I see some American apply a paint protector onto their front (a layer of easy to peel off clear plastic) and remove them after the event.. is it necessary?

So raz, what's the max speed u manage to hit?

200kph??? not many cars can hit 200kph on the back straight or even the front straight... However, I've instructed a CLK DTM which hit 220kph 3/4 way down the back straight.

As for debris, I got more from driving on normal road compared to driving on the track...

Raz, hope I did not go overboard and scared you with the taxi ride before your session...

Best regards,
Fabian
HPC Asst 'Cheap' Instructor :burnout:

My first time experience on track was in 2003, rode shotgun in a Mini Cooper S with the owner sharing his knowledge on how to take each corner. What reference points to look out for especially at Turn 14...

Then came my first experience trying on track in an open track day... There wasn't as many cars back then as there were more open track days. Still it was a nerve wrenching experience. I had a forumer, sideways, sitting next to me giving guidance but still I made boo boo here and there.. Then came back into the paddock, did some information 'download' and digesting.. went out and got better...

It also help if you're into go-karting, where you can learn to take racing lines at a slower pace. Maybe we can also organise some go-kart outings for those interested... Try to beat my lap record in an 80cc kart at the stadium shah alam go kart track, my best time there was 1:12:20... Not that far away from Jazeman's 1:11:XX lap record..

Jules;316469 said:
raz451,

your aprehension going onto the track with a beloved machine - is very much understood. The fact there was little untoward incidents ( none in your case ) lies with the simple fact, we in HPC are very strict on rules especially on the passing rules and flags. I hope you paid attention to Brian's and my briefing. In any case - as said to you, you had one of our best instructor for the day - Hafidz but then again, I believe we are all equally good and passionate about instructing. ( Hafidz has anyhow car racing experience in Sepang, like some of us )

As you were aware, the Mini group came in force in the afternoon ( Group 2 ) - and we had to stop some drivers from driving further as they dun even know what a red flag meant. In the end, everyone had to wait for these few reckless few ones to come in, before play can be resumed for their friends.

IMHO, Group 1 is hence, by far the safest group to join if you want to experience Sepang track safely. Do at an open day and its like driving on Federal Highway with maniacs all around you!

Well, thanks for your kind words and hope to see you & your nice black beauty again.

Best regards,
Jules
HPC Head Instructor

Thank you Jules and your team of instructors for making my first experience on the track a memorable one.

Yuppers! You'll definitely be seeing me again on the track.:top:

Kind regards

astroboy;316484 said:
Looking forward for HPC participants to share their "live to tell" experience and finally raz started a thread by herself!

WOW!!....

What an experience! and I'm pretty sure others would have different stories to tell. Looking forward for more!

Were there debris on the track where an overtaking car can potentially kick into your face and leave behind scar on your face and screen? When some cars went off road, they will bring debris onto the track and can be kicked up at well over 200kph and shoot into another car... kind of scary.. :( I see some American apply a paint protector onto their front (a layer of easy to peel off clear plastic) and remove them after the event.. is it necessary?

So raz, what's the max speed u manage to hit?

Astroboy,

I started this thread to share my life experience on the track with fellow Z4ers. Quoting Lee36328 from another thread: “There's only so much fun one can have in waxing the damn thing... sometimes you gotta actually DRIVE it...”:4:

Anyway, with the Z4 being the closest to the ground in the Group 1, I did see debris on the tracks at one of the corners (can’t remember where though. Did I tell you I was busy being paranoid? Hehehe..). And it did occur to me what if it got kicked on by the car in front of me sending it flying and hitting through my windscreen and eventually cracking my RM52 full-faced helmet for gaya purposes only? I shudder at the thought my friend!

Oh, think I only did 170 km/h max on the straights. The fun lies in the trick corners (ceh! Now eksyen already!) At one sharp point (again, I can’t remember which one, sorry guys), I was actually screaming “Oh My God” as I took the corners. It was scary s***. And Hafidz, my instructor seated next to me went, "Yeah!!!! Now floor!":eek: Hahaha...

Raz,
Good experience heh..??

My first Sepang SIC experience??? I spun on every corners la. Sideways ask his friend to sit in with me.Guess who..?? It was Tengku Djan,he virtually drifted my e30 on every corners! we were stopped by the official with a stern warning. haha.. No wonder I cannot drive straight.....:burnout:

Ramsing,

Sorry..not that I dun want to take you for a ride in my car. You are the 20th person in line yesterday.:rock:

Events organised by HPC are more in control situation. Hope to see you again.

fabianyee;316492 said:
Raz, hope I did not go overboard and scared you with the taxi ride before your session...

Fabian,

I almost cabutz after the taxi ride with you. Gripping on the door handle for dear life when you took the corners. Your skills were indisputable though.

But hey! I surived HPC! Malaysia Boleh....Raz pun bole!

Cheers

Heh Astroboy, Sepang isn't some grassroots track like a lot of Americans race on. It's F1, cream of the crop, you generally aren't going to find random car parts and oil all over it :wink: Some gravel can get kicked on from people going off, but usually it will be at the slowest parts of the course and the marshals will clean it up if its bad.

Good to see the BMW drivers making a good day of it and conducting themselves well. Especially compared to a few members of another car club that were drag racing and doing donuts in the car park, speeding & driving wrong way in the pit lane, and from what i heard, getting out and taking pics of themselves on track with cars whizzing by! :eek:

fabianyee;316500 said:
My first time experience on track was in 2003, rode shotgun in a Mini Cooper S with the owner sharing his knowledge on how to take each corner. What reference points to look out for especially at Turn 14...

Then came my first experience trying on track in an open track day... There wasn't as many cars back then as there were more open track days. Still it was a nerve wrenching experience. I had a forumer, sideways, sitting next to me giving guidance but still I made boo boo here and there.. Then came back into the paddock, did some information 'download' and digesting.. went out and got better...

It also help if you're into go-karting, where you can learn to take racing lines at a slower pace. Maybe we can also organise some go-kart outings for those interested... Try to beat my lap record in an 80cc kart at the stadium shah alam go kart track, my best time there was 1:12:20... Not that far away from Jazeman's 1:11:XX lap record..

go-kart at shah alam, I like!!!!
Remember last time we had a session, I tapau-ed almost everyone. It would be fun to do this again

raz451;316538 said:
Fabian,

I almost cabutz after the taxi ride with you. Gripping on the door handle for dear life when you took the corners. Your skills were indisputable though.

But hey! I surived HPC! Malaysia Boleh....Raz pun bole!

Cheers

Luckily you stayed on and enjoyed it more as it went along... hahhaa... Anyway, I am definitely not the best of drivers there...

cempaka;316550 said:
and from what i heard, getting out and taking pics of themselves on track with cars whizzing by! :eek:

joking right? :eek: damn...

Raz, Im glad you managed to pluck up the guts to give HPC a try...and as you have written, its all well worth it. Track driving not only gives you the opportunity to explore your driving skills to your own limit, it also allows you to get to know your car much better at speeds that you'd normally wont/cant be doing on public roads.
Only now, are you more appreciative for what your car is made of and amassed of the way she handles.
I for one dont quite enjoy Sepang as I find the track too broad for my liking although the wide and long sweepers do make up for it in some way. I prefer tighter and narrower tracks.
ps. Dont mean to put a damper on your high spirits with this story....I friend of mine (instructor too) was being taxied in a M3 convertible some years back on the Shah Alam Track (Bt Tiga)The driver came in too hot (Lucas loop) went wide and off the track and unfortunately the car flipped and landed top down. Landed himself in a coma for nearly a month and came out of it....with a partial paralysis.....but then, the driver was going way too fast for his own ability. Silly bloke.
Enjoy but be safe!

cempaka;316550 said:
and from what i heard, getting out and taking pics of themselves on track with cars whizzing by! :eek:

this I am keen to know more as there was no mention of this in the post event de-brief with the instructors....can you please elaborate more?

okow;316608 said:
Raz, Im glad you managed to pluck up the guts to give HPC a try...and as you have written, its all well worth it. Track driving not only gives you the opportunity to explore your driving skills to your own limit, it also allows you to get to know your car much better at speeds that you'd normally wont/cant be doing on public roads.
Only now, are you more appreciative for what your car is made of and amassed of the way she handles.
I for one dont quite enjoy Sepang as I find the track too broad for my liking although the wide and long sweepers do make up for it in some way. I prefer tighter and narrower tracks.
ps. Dont mean to put a damper on your high spirits with this story....I friend of mine (instructor too) was being taxied in a M3 convertible some years back on the Shah Alam Track (Bt Tiga) and the car slipped and landed top down. Landed himself in a coma for nearly a month and came out of it....with a 'lil paralysis.....but then, the driver was going way too fast for his own ability. Silly bloke.
Enjoy but be safe!

Thanks Okow. I'll keep that in mind. Safety first definitely.

To tell the truth, I hardly had any sleep the night after HPC. Every time I closed my eyes, the images of going through the circuit and taking corners at a speed I never thought I would do in a lifetime kept fleeting through my mind. It was scary indeed.

But I hope I'm not telling too much and in my doing so, frightened away the other Z4ers from participating in this event. Then again, maybe they are not as crazy as I was (and of course, RedZ4) to bring their "babes" to the track!:burnout:

i am interested in this, can u call me xxxxxxxxxx. If not How do I get in touch witht he organizer?

Hey Raz,

Glad you were doing better in the 3rd session as opposed to the first couple. I noticed that you were a little shy around the corners when I was behind with my student (black singaporean civic). He was on your tail coming into turn 8. guess you were not on full throttle coming out of the turn. No worries... you get better as you continues driving.

Its normal for a female newbie to feel apprehensive on the track with so many cars around. Even my girlfriend who was in my car in Group 3 was feeling a little scared all the cars were very close to each other and fighting to get to the next corner. Also the sound of the tires squeeling got her a little uneasy.

My A4 was pretty fun to drive around but certainly not as involved or fun as the Z4. I had to induce a little oversteer to line up the car to get around one corner. Other than that, its pretty simple. If I had my Z4 it would have been more than a few oversteer situations. Next time...

hey why don't you post some of your pictures I sent you.

Top Bottom