[SAFETY] Door automatically unlock and open

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

adri4n

Hi Fellow TRJs,

I've had this car for 2 months now its a 2103 F30 320d running around 54k km on the odo...

yesterday was driving from Johor back to KL ... it was raining and i was doing 150-160km/h

until i reach ayer keroh stretch .. suddenly the rear passenger side door was automatically unlocked and opened (indicator showing the "door open" making the ding ding ding sound...)

other doors remained locked, i was shocked and had to make an emergency stop to check wats wrong...

i'm pretty sure i had all doors closed and locked up else the indicator would have sounded when i left JB...

after that incident it didnt reoccur after that.. anyone else been through or heard something similar like this before?

this is pretty serious on safety as i had my kid (5 y.o) sitting at the back and luckily he was strapped onto his seat belt else things would have ended up real real bad (in case u 'r wondering if my son was the culprit to the door unlocked and opening .... he was sleeping when this happened)...

Not sure what caused the door to open but you need to have a serious look at yourself driving that speed in the rain with your kid onboard!!

Agree with Rick!

About the door unlocking itself, i heard many isolated stories on this. Mostly with comfort access features. Problem is, its hard to replicate the error to resolve the issue.

Could be related....
While washing my car with keyfob in my pocket, sometimes the door will lock and unlock when water is flowing and touching the door handle. Sensor??

1. thanks for the input/advise ..i will reflect on my speed with onboard passengers..

2. my car doesnt have the comfort access function..

I had similar experience before on my E90 once.
My situation is this. Earlier in the day one of my door was not closed properly, and I was lazy to open the door and closed it again, so I did what I used to to with Japs, just pressed it shut. Then later in the day went through a small bump and the same door became "unclosed", not to the extend of the door swinging wide open, just a ding on the dash stating the door is not closed (properly). Doors still locked though.
From there on, never had the situation again as I make sure doors are closed properly. No more lazy ass!

It occurs twice for me, the rear right side passenger door unlock by itself ... it wasn't raining. Mine is LCI 320i.

I had it check at the service centre, they checked back the history and indeed there is fault code detected and they said reset it. so far it doesn't reoccur, will monitor.

un-lock or opens?

Unlocks means the door it not locked but is still shut.

Open means the door is ajar or open.

Mine unlock and open but it wasn't swing wide open, you know, as if you close the door but wasn't shut properly, half close type.

Chin Eng said:
Mine unlock and open but it wasn't swing wide open, you know, as if you close the door but wasn't shut properly, half close type.
same

Bro, my F30 320i with less then 2000km , driver side door suddenly open while driving about 60-70km perhour , recall road surface is not so evenly paved.The car interior lighting light up and with the ding ding sound warnings. I pretty sure the car door is auto lock after a few second drive off and it did not sound the ding ding warnings . Did anyone have this problem solve ? Pls advise .

Bro, my F30 320i with less then 2000km , driver side door suddenly open while driving about 60-70km perhour , recall road surface is not so evenly paved.The car interior lighting light up and with the ding ding sound warnings. I pretty sure the car door is auto lock after a few second drive off and it did not sound the ding ding warnings . Did anyone have this problem solve ? Pls advise .

1 time happened to me with my 2016 330e sport. Suddenly door unlock while leaving car park and i though i hit somewhere. later i open/close and never happend again. If i face the same problem again i will go service :)

Had that problem too once, on the driver side. Hmm...wonder what could possibly be the problem.

The solution to the problem cannot be found at the moment as the problem cannot be replicated to find a solution. In the meantime, to ensure safety, make sure everyone in the car is buckled up to avoid being fling out of the car in the event of a hard cornering session.

The same happened to me once in every BMW i had. All occasions were the driver's side it unlocked and opened while driving. First was e90 320i then e90 320d and recently happened to my 330e. I noticed it all happened while speeding above 170km/h when you hit a wavy road condition. Those were scary experiences to me as i started questioning the cars' safety.

Top Bottom