Run Flat vs Non Run Flat tyres E90 325

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
As some of you may have read by now, I hv just purchased a 06/07 325i.The car needs new tyres. The tyres are staggered with 225/45/17 (F) & 255/40/17(R).The car has Dunlop (F) & Michelin PS2(R) non run flat.I am keen on getting Michelins.In Aust, UK and Spore, the car runs on 225/45/17 all round and the recommended tyres are PS3.However PS3 does not come in 255/40/17.Therefore I can either getPS3 225/45/17 (F) 245/40/17(R)OrPS2 225/45/17 & 255/40/17Non run flats costs rm3k less and are more comfy.The tyre shop owner strongly suggest getting run flatsfor safety. He says 80% of his clients use back runflats.Are PS2 an overkill for 325. They are usually used for M3.Should i go for run flats.90% travel in Pg. only occasionally drive to Ipoh andAlor Setar.Care to share your expereinces?tq

Run flat tires or RFTs are designed for the car to be able run even with a flat tire and to save space/weight. IMO, it would be more useful in European countries where tyre repair/replacement shops are not commonly available unlike here locally.

But I'd say for someone who normally only travels in the city, the need is less since tire shops are everywhere. It would boils down to how often you travel outstation & the type of area you normally travels to. It would come in handy when you're travelling outstation on highways or remote areas here though.

RFTs are known to have harder sidewall, some may love it for better handling or some may complain over the bumpier ride. Most E90 owners I known have since switched to non-RFTs as they cost less, more variants to choose from & easier to source.

The cons of having non-RFTs is that you would require a spare tyre just in case.

There's an on-going discussion on GT Radial Champiro HPY, which offers decent performance but doesn't hurt your wallet. You may wanna check that out as well.

You can try out cheaper brands as mentioned above, GT Radial Champiro HPY or you can also try out Nexen N8000. Quite cheap compared to RFT's.

Don't forget to buy a sealant kit which costs around RM50.

A lot of debates on whether to continue with RFT or non-RFT.
For a peace of mind, i would continue using those RFTs.
However, the tyres themselves would definitely break your bank.

I switched to GY ASY 2. No complaint and performance in wet condition is marvelous.
Only trade off wih run flat is the safety from side wall failure or puncture during high speed run.
But then again i believe Ferrari or Porsche does not run on RFT?

For me, I hated the original RTFs, the RE050, because the ride was hard and noisy. So I thought, let's go AS2. Well the ride was so nice, much softer and not noisy. Come remit time, the AS2 sucked compared with the RE050. I ran in my AS2 for about 1,000 kms before pushing it. Cannot compare with the RE050 at all. RE050 walls are stiffer and it's obvious.

AS2 makes car unsettled on hard corners. Can feel a bit of shakes through the corners. On track, the AS2 heats up and tends to get more and more slippery. The RE050 much more consistent on a track.

As a DD, the AS2 is more than enough. Question is what are you looking for from the tyres? Performance/handling or comfort? Without RTF it's best to get a mobility kit, just in case unless you are an AAM member I guess.

The tyres are staggered with 225/45/17 (F) & 255/40/17(R).
The car has Dunlop (F) & Michelin PS2(R) non run flat.
I am keen on getting Michelins.
In Aust, UK and Spore, the car runs on 225/45/17 all round and the recommended tyres are PS3.

The car which runs on 225/45/17 all round are the non Msport with same size rims all around.
If yours is an M-sport,the rims are staggered,hence the correct size is 225 fronts and 255 rears

However PS3 does not come in 255/40/17.
Therefore I can either get
PS3 225/45/17 (F) 245/40/17(R)
Or
PS2 225/45/17 & 255/40/17

Go get the PS2,correct size and better than PS3 IMHO.
PS3 is not a replacement for PS2 as some might have been misled.

Non run flats costs rm3k less and are more comfy.
The tyre shop owner strongly suggest getting run flatsfor safety. He says 80% of his clients use back runflats.
Are PS2 an overkill for 325. They are usually used for M3.

It is not an overkill.They are great tyres for your car,but if you think you dont drive hard enough,you might want to consider cheaper alternatives. I once had mine on GYA2 (225 and 245) great tyres,but lacks the rear grip as compared to 255s
I have upsized to 19" since and run on CSC3 which are great tyre in dry and wet,but wears very fast.
But there has been a lot of discussion on your 17" tyres,unfortunately are not many options for staggered 17".
some come out with suggestion like GT Radial Champiro HPY and Nexen N8000,they are worth a try though

Should i go for run flats.
90% travel in Pg. only occasionally drive to Ipoh andAlor Setar.
Care to share your expereinces?

Yes,if you dont mind to have a harsh ride and a big hole in the pocket with a little bit peace of mind.I switched to non RFT after both my rear RFT punctured beyond repair.Never regretted since then.But as i travel a lot i have my trusty spare tyre in the trunk,which has saved me at least in few occasions.

Im on non RFT GYA2 for > 18 months, done 50k KM so far, surprisingly the tread & grip still good. I believe it can go for another 20k-30k KM. I may lucky, the mobility kit still brand new so far.

I am currently using Goodyear F1 AS2. 225/45/R17 (F) and 245/40/R17 (R). The difference in the radius is negligible and definitely good the price!

I replaced my tyres and i went back to RFT. I value safety above all else. When you have had punctures (highways and city vandalism) you will appreciate RFT when it gets you out of a bad situation. If you want a soft comfy car go buy a Lexus.

You have to ask yourself how much is your safety (or your loved one's) worth?

I experienced a puncture occasions twice during ownership. I'm on non RFT. Both ocassions are in PLUS highway. Got AAM membership, but they can't do much as it happened late night and no tire shop available.Need to flat-bed the car to the tire shop until next morning.My advice if you travel outstation frequent, better stay with RFT or get a space saver spare tyre.

Quotations I've got for non run flats-

Michelin PS2

225/45/17 RM895
255/40/17 RM995

Total RM3780

Toyo T1 Sport

225/45/17 RM550
255/40/17 RM760

Total RM2620

I have pretty much decided on non run flats.

Is PS2 worth the RM1160 premium over Toyo.

My concerns are Comfort, Noise & Longevity.

Could you share your personal experience with PS2 vs T1 Sport. Tq

PS Signed up for AAM.

I could be wrong but I don't think they make PS2 anymore. Could be old stock? I'm riding on PSS and they're awesome.

I have narrowed down my search to Toyo T1 Sport vs Michelin PS2/PSS.

A friend of mine said Toyos in Alor Setar are cheaperer, about RM2500 per set.

Price difference is RM3900 vs RM2600.

I don't mind paying the extra RM1300 if the tyres can last 40k km, are quiet and comfotable.

Although I rarely push the car to the limit but I enjoy a good ride like everyonelse in this forum.

Thks for putting up with me guys.

Fadhlan;793556 said:
I could be wrong but I don't think they make PS2 anymore. Could be old stock? I'm riding on PSS and they're awesome.

AFAIK there is no RFT for PSS right? May I know what are the sizes of your PSS?

Thanks

I have decided on non run flats.

Leaning towards Toyo T1 Sport.

Anyone tried this tyre before......is it quiet, comfortable and lasting?

Tq

I have just booked Michelin PS2. Tyres should arrive next week.

Only snag is that PS2s have been discontinued and therefore the PS2 stock is not new.

But there is no PSS for17 inch.

So decided to get it as it may be my last chance to try PS2.

Hopefully the tyresarenot too old. Tyre shop guy said it shld be 2012 or 2011.

Older than that i told him i wont accept.

Is 2011 tyres ok still?

Tyres just arrived at the shop. They are end 2011 tyres which shdn't be too bad.....just a little over 1yr old.

Tyres shd be good for 6 yrs from manufacture date and i normally change my tyres every 2-3 yrs....45-50k km. So i guess thats fine with me.

Looking forward to fitting them on this weekend.

The tyre shop guy told me that the front wears out faster.

In my car the rear still has PS2 but the front PS2 fitted by previous owner had worn out and is now on Dunlops which also is wearing out.

Since its a "new" car, i decided on new tyres.

Let u guys know how the tyres are after using them for a while.

Fitted PS2 tyres today.

The front ie end 2011,rear mid 2012. Thats fine with me.

Tyres are quite and comfotable. Hvnt pushed the car yet......whats the run in period/mileage?

Total cost RM3600.

Top Bottom