Reconditioning of Starter Motor on E38

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

andrewk

Club Guest
Guys,Thought I post this for your info and price guide.My starter motor gave way last week. The motor could not engage properly due to a loose gear (and some other thing which my mech said but I couldn't remember - smthing about a screw).Anyways, due to the cost of a new motor (RM1k plus), I decided to recon the existing one. The whole thing took roughly 4 hours for the shop to remove the motor, recon the whole thing and put it back. Starts like a dream now (on first crank).Damage is RM660.

Pussy: Sorry boss.. didn't hang around. Just dropped off the car and picked it up later.

Alan: I also have no idea. The mech just said they recond the whole motor.... whatever that means....

Nevertheless, if anyone has any experience what that actually means, please share la... I'm not to mechanically well verse on these matters....

Andrew, the charge of RM600 is way, way too high. If a starter is still repairable it should not cost more than RM200 all in with labour. Usually it's just replacing carbon bushes and repacking the grease.

Anyway, I just replaced mine before CNY with a chop shop unit for RM350 with labour cost.

Tend to agree that RM600 is pricey to replace carbon bushes & re-grease. The so called "new" starter selling for over RM1k++ is in fact re-conditioned from overseas (France & Germany). I have seen a couple of these "new" starters and at a glance, one would thought it is a brand new one as the packaging and finishes are of high quality.

herbert;607462 said:
Tend to agree that RM600 is pricey to replace carbon bushes & re-grease. The so called "new" starter selling for over RM1k++ is in fact re-conditioned from overseas (France & Germany). I have seen a couple of these "new" starters and at a glance, one would thought it is a brand new one as the packaging and finishes are of high quality.

very true, but i sometimes doubt their reliability to perform...just scared sometimes, there is many cheats out there these days...

Thanks all for the tip. :top:

The recon work is RM480 with the rest being labour. But duely noted that it is on the high side.

I should've shopped around but I didn't have time, so I went back to my regular workshop which had to outsource the recon work.

Lesson learnt I guess.

andrewk;607487 said:
Thanks all for the tip. :top:

The recon work is RM480 with the rest being labour. But duely noted that it is on the high side.

I should've shopped around but I didn't have time, so I went back to my regular workshop which had to outsource the recon work.

Lesson learnt I guess.

No lesson't learnt, just that if you are happy with the work and wont breakdown, then it's worth it..you yourself have to be happy.
Imagine mine, a V8, from the bottom, with the cross member removed to access...mine too giving me the creeps now..

Pussy: As it is fixed and working better than before, I'm a happy camper. My mech did said he can get me a used unit from a chop shop, but he won't guarantee it'll last. So, I told him to just get it rebuilt. As for cost, I guess the Chinaman in me is always looking for a cheaper alternative! hahah!!

At least my experience will benefit the rest of the guys here should their starter motor fails.

Top Bottom