rear axle differential got noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tsho

Club Guest
Hi allMy 320i is having humming noise at the rear during low speed. I will hear the noise more obvious while driving around 20 to 40 km pH. I have sent my car to another workshop to diagnose and out the differential unit is faulty. No problem with the wheel bearing or long shaft. My car only clock 53k km mileage and model 2010. My warranty with AB just finished last 2 months. I heard the cost of new parts is very expensive.Does anyone has any idea? I thought of claiming from AB since the car is still in low mileage and less than 4 yrs

Rear axle rarely damage at such low mileage. Any sign of oil leak at rear axle before? Suggest that you change to make sure the rear axle oil is insufficient in your rear axle before going through a nightmare.

How did the mechanic confirm it was the rear axle and wasn't the wheel bearing? Gut feeling by turning the wheels?

- - - Updated - - -

Rear axle rarely damage at such low mileage. Any sign of oil leak at rear axle before? Suggest that you change to make sure the rear axle oil is insufficient in your rear axle before going through a nightmare.

How did the mechanic confirm it was the rear axle and wasn't the wheel bearing? Gut feeling by turning the wheels?

1) check differential oil level

2) check drive shaft boots for tears; torn boots can lose grease when driving in rain, or worse masuk pasir - sure to produce noise.

Dear all

Thank you for your feedback. Just heard from the SA from AB that they may need to change the diff oil by dismantling the axle and longshaft.

I htink this will cause a bomb with high labour charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear all

Thank you for your feedback. Just heard from the SA from AB that they may need to change the diff oil by dismantling the axle and longshaft.

I htink this will cause a bomb with high labour charge.

Another update. SA told me that they need to change the diff oil, dismantle the axle, long shaft', etc. It will take a few days to fix the car. Worst I need to bear all the cost regardless whether it will solve the problem 100%. But I thought the diff oil is classified life long by BMW? If yes why should I need to pay for the oil change?

Have u got a outside opinion from a independent work shop ?

Also did u check if the sound was actually the diff ? Could be from the tyres.

By the way, the diff sound, how does it sound ? If has a metallic grinding sound, then it's it, if not, then something else.

Best of luck.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the diff sound, how does it sound ? If has a metallic grinding sound, then it's it, if not, then something else.

Best of luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Best of luck.

I had same problem with my 325 Msports(2008, pre-LCI), but at 80km/h and above.

The humming came from centre to the back, with small vibration on floor pan.

After many round checkings(rear tyre balancing, rear wheels bearing, long shaft coupling) - finally found out it was due to auto torque converter off balanced.

Got the torque converyer repaired/overhauled, changed long shaft coupling, needle roller bearing, long shaft centre bearing. The car is working well now.

Hope this help:)

Guys,

Just to update you all. I got my car back from AB and it is confirmed that my Axle diff unit is faulty. Since my warranty expired on July, BMW is willing to absorb 50% of the cost. The price is 8k excluding labor. I was requesting for free replacement since my car is relatively low mileage (52k) and less than 4yrs, but out of goodwill gesture, BMW is willing to share the cost. What do you all think?

- - - Updated - - -

Guys,

Just to update you all. I got my car back from AB and it is confirmed that my Axle diff unit is faulty. Since my warranty expired on July, BMW is willing to absorb 50% of the cost. The price is 8k excluding labor. I was requesting for free replacement since my car is relatively low mileage (52k) and less than 4yrs, but out of goodwill gesture, BMW is willing to share the cost. What do you all think?

wow, this is new to me..i have never heard the rear differential failures..if money is not an issue, i wud go ahead with the change..please do share with us the part# involved..

yup, normally you'll only hear of differential failures after car exceeds 20 years old.

Sorry for my late update. I was away lately. Yes I have changed the diff unit with AB. Don't hve the part number with me. Car is quieter now. I read in BMW forum in Singapore, that some members do face the problem and their mileage is low. I also check with independent workshop MSpeed, n this diff problem is quite common in E90. Hope this help

Top Bottom