Premium Fuels A Rip-off?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
it does make a diff on a carburator-ed engine as there is not much compensation from the absense of ecu IMHO

Howdy,

Just signed up. Still trying to get the hang of all this....be patient with me ok?
I have a friend operating petrol station. He says he had to dilute the petrol with kerosene to make better profit (he admits doing so). Tip is do not refuel on fridays or long holidays (refuel earlier unless no choice).

This is because there will be no enforcement officers on duty to catch them. i personally use mobil but it depends on the station itself. One particular mobil station can give me 400km on RM50 (used on 1.5wira auto) and another gives me only 350km for RM50 i guess that station has diluted its petrol. I have never gone to that station since.

FYI, i used caltex regular on my e39 for RM85 i get 400km (near empty) now using vpower i am getting about 500km (12.4L/KM) Hope the info helps.

astroboy;262127 said:
V-Power is same RON with Regular Shell ma.. Right? With cleansing additive added to keep the fuel system cleaned and of course the price added too la.

I buy a bottle of STP injector cleaner to clean my fuel system every year and I believe it will do the same, if not better.

I tried V-Power on a new car and can't tell the difference, except emptier pocket.

V power has a higher RON number of 98 when compared to the normal green one which is 95 if i have not mistaken. I think the v power just meet the minimum requirement RON for the newer higher compression cars. Cars like the BMW E60(from what i read runs on 98RON) and the Golf(friend told me that is also runs minimum 98RON)

Egon-E39;265123 said:
Howdy,

Just signed up. Still trying to get the hang of all this....be patient with me ok?
I have a friend operating petrol station. He says he had to dilute the petrol with kerosene to make better profit (he admits doing so). Tip is do not refuel on fridays or long holidays (refuel earlier unless no choice).

This is because there will be no enforcement officers on duty to catch them. i personally use mobil but it depends on the station itself. One particular mobil station can give me 400km on RM50 (used on 1.5wira auto) and another gives me only 350km for RM50 i guess that station has diluted its petrol. I have never gone to that station since.

FYI, i used caltex regular on my e39 for RM85 i get 400km (near empty) now using vpower i am getting about 500km (12.4L/KM) Hope the info helps.

I thought kerosene is more expensive then petrol. I know that here in Aust,kerosene is more expensive then petrol at the pumps. I think in my opinion as long as u pump at very busy stations they won't bother to dilute the petrol.

i think its true, sometimes when i pump at those stations nearer those at the country side the consumption tends to suffer quite alot! but by going to those at more popular and busy places, the consumption is better!

OOT: Shell employees that wear red polo shirts means they have acheived better sales than Shell employees with yellow polo shirts with red vests.

M30;265565 said:
V power has a higher RON number of 98 when compared to the normal green one which is 95 if i have not mistaken. I think the v power just meet the minimum requirement RON for the newer higher compression cars. Cars like the BMW E60(from what i read runs on 98RON) and the Golf(friend told me that is also runs minimum 98RON)

V power is still ron 97.

farex;265904 said:
V power is still ron 97.

Oh my bad...i remembered it as 98RON. That is bad though...means that the fuel does not meet the minimum requirement of the newer cars.

my fren in subaru says the wrx needs and only can fill in ron98, but msia dun have, so only can pump v-power but still will cause some sorta damage

AlexNg;266009 said:
my fren in subaru says the wrx needs and only can fill in ron98, but msia dun have, so only can pump v-power but still will cause some sorta damage

I dun think it will cause damage unless there is preignition taking place...i have read that some ECU are able to adjust for the lower RON fuel up to a certain number.

Well you guys decide then. do try and find out. Perhaps we can have a thread to state which station to go for. M30-i dont know about kerosene prices, if not kerosene i wonder what is used?

Caltex is at RON97 it is stated at the pump. V-Power is also RON97 but with additives, correct?

Egon-E39;266053 said:
Well you guys decide then. do try and find out. Perhaps we can have a thread to state which station to go for. M30-i dont know about kerosene prices, if not kerosene i wonder what is used?

Caltex is at RON97 it is stated at the pump. V-Power is also RON97 but with additives, correct?

i think you are right about the RON97 on both petrols.

i personally won't go to Kajang's Shell n Sg. Long first Shell (near the main road)
its dirty bad service and i think they dilute:thefinger:

Have been using shell for the past few weeks and I'm averaging abt 550km on a full tank...this week, have just changed to petronas pumped at the station in DJ, mileage seems to be alot better, now the mileage is reading 440km and i still have 1/3 of a tank to go...kinda odd....

Didnt change my driving style...infact when using shell i was feathering the throttle quite alot...

Will try petronas for the next couple of weeks...maybe its just gremlins...

My old man is a great fan of Petronas despite me passing a Bonuslink card to him to collect points at Shell. He claims he can feel Petronas petrol gives more pickup, engine more responsive, and he is feeling Petronas fuel more "pure".. :stupid:

BTW, he's using a Volvo 940.. :D

astroboy;266793 said:
My old man is a great fan of Petronas despite me passing a Bonuslink card to him to collect points at Shell. He claims he can feel Petronas petrol gives more pickup, engine more responsive, and he is feeling Petronas fuel more "pure".. :stupid:

BTW, he's using a Volvo 940.. :D

I used to use Caltex some ten years ago. Then switched to Mobil/Esso, felt like smoother. After tried Petronas, I felt my engine much smoother. So now mainly use it

fellow forumers,

perhaps we should all give petrol companies a try and come to a conclusion as to which petrol company gives the best result. Eg-Try one particular month using only petronas-clock the average mileage and engine response, then switch to another and do the same thing.

What do you think? or is it depending on the vehicle like either BMW or Volvo 940 or Kancil etc?

Top Bottom