Petrol consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

WJW

Club Guest
Hi All,First of all, Great forum! Just got a 2002 E39. I noticed the CON1 display on the dashboard is 21L/100. Does this mean the car is currently running at 21L/100KM!!?? If yes, what could be the problem for such high consumption? or could it be something wrong (setting) with the info on the display? I do feel the car is quite sluggish from 0-50km/h. Any advise?By the way, what the norm consumption for city/highway drive?Cheers!

Check on the Fuelly record in my signature, that is my FC Record. Mine is 523i, the FC might slightly different from yours but not much.

Cool stats. I will take my car in for a check up. Any heads up and advise?

i just had the same problem. reset the monitor couple of times.still the same.:102:: mine showing 39L/100km. then its goes up and down up to 20L/100km. need to bring it to the shop this weekend.

I might be wrong.... but u can try this. When you reset the monitor, try doing in when you are not sitting standstill or if you are going to be flooring the car right after the traffic light. Just my observation.... because the consumption meter is based on a constant "average" calculation.

If I reset it while i am just cruising and my consumption meter is hardly pass 10L/100km for a while, I find the figures continue to be much lower compared to if i am bored at the traffic light, reset consumption and then floor it when the light goes green. It takes a very VERY long time to get the average down if it started of at 40L/100km and then slowly dropping down. Just my observation

I am always calculating based on how far i travel with a full tank. For example my old junk can go about 400km for town and 600km for long distance travelling with a full tank..i dont simply take the average consumption displayed..my twosens

Check "Test 20" -> Average fuel consumption correction factor 20.0 XXX9 Press button when correct 1s position is attained
Test 20 is run from meter cluster.
Check what the figure is currently showing. Some say it's better to leave it 1000 or slightly above.

I am using the same approach too :)
I believe this is much more accurate :)

JFT63;768896 said:
I am always calculating based on how far i travel with a full tank. For example my old junk can go about 400km for town and 600km for long distance travelling with a full tank..i dont simply take the average consumption displayed..my twosens

jsng;768946 said:

Same approach here... my average for 50L is about 360 KM Town but will reach 600 +++ on highway...

[this morning i reset it again. once i move it showed 39.5, then it goes down while im driving till 8.8L/100km. ]

i just had the same problem. reset the monitor couple of times.still the same.:102:: mine showing 39L/100km. then its goes up and down up to 20L/100km. need to bring it to the shop this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Check "Test 20" -> Average fuel consumption correction factor 20.0 XXX9 Press button when correct 1s position is attained
Test 20 is run from meter cluster.
Check what the figure is currently showing. Some say it's better to leave it 1000 or slightly above.[/QUOTE]

bro how do i check "Test 20". thanks

actually what does the '2nd' fuel consumption button do? i always reset both and the result will be different everytime..

mika;768975 said:
actually what does the '2nd' fuel consumption button do? i always reset both and the result will be different everytime..

The idea is you reset one (normally Cons 2) for short range consumption, and leave Consumption 1 for long term.

For example, you reset you cons. 2 for you journey from KL to Kedah, you'll see you highway consumption. But you'll see your Cons. 1 as your long term (maybe over 1 year) as a day to day average consumption.

jsng;768946 said:

hehe...my old school of thought..:top:

Top Bottom