Once-In-A-Lifetime Project

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
initialM;482250 said:
How I wish this place is in JB.
Hey that VW GTi looks good too. Reminds me my fav UK magizine FAST CAR:top:

i am sure there are competent painters in JB; you just need to explain to them the processes you require done.

that's a MkI. after owning a MkII GTi 18 years ago and driven several MkI, i can conclude they were indeed the most fun hot hatches. todays cars although more powerful, are simply obese.

mizhan;482024 said:
thanks bro.. my wallet got a huge gaping hole on it because of those parts. magazine ka.. tunggu siap dulu ok? myself nervous after painter admitted earlier that the ceramic clearcoat is a bit*@ to polish!

Yeah, heard some more new parts are coming in soon :)

Saw my paint shop polishing one car painted with Glasurit High Gloss (45), and it took him a solid 3 days to do so!! But it will last for a long long time, and that thing really shines!

this has become my favorite thread, looking good there matey. cant wait for new updates :)

thanks bro.. it'll be a while before the next update. certain parts of the car need to be re-done, then all the polishing work once more. to make matters worse, the painshop is jammed up with cars in various stages of work.

mizhan;482038 said:
another installment of barangs from InnerPower. more to come from Mr Tang & Ah Wai, me no money yet :(

0198.jpg

Hi bro, looks like y trims there..talking abt barangs, wonder what is your plans for the carpeting and interior sound insulations...seem like the original E30 carpets (wtih sound insulations) and the dashboard rear insulations are no longer orderable....you goin for wurth or dynamat?

Bruce_Z;482911 said:
Hi bro, looks like y trims there..talking abt barangs, wonder what is your plans for the carpeting and interior sound insulations...seem like the original E30 carpets (wtih sound insulations) and the dashboard rear insulations are no longer orderable....you goin for wurth or dynamat?

hey zul.. yup, those are some of the trims; the rest are occupying 3/4 of my living room. mr tang told me you have been seriously shopping too :)
honestly, i haven't given much thought about insulation stuff yet. i'll either use the carpet from my previous E30, look for decent ones at chop shops (if lucky) or get ah kit to fabricate new one.
will let you know in about a month which sound proofing material i choose - cost will be the deciding factor.

i expect this car to be at the paintshop another 3 weeks, after which it'll return to the bodyshop for application of underseal. i'll be lucky if mike actually does that within a week..

let me buy you a drink soon, would love to hear the status of your E30 :wink:

I admire your throughness bro...:rock: Mine in "cut & paste" stage, some skin grafting work. But should be ready for painting in a week or two lah. Talkng abt paint...thinkin of Sepang bronze lah bro...

mizhan;483264 said:
sepang bronze works well on a 4 door. go for it bro..

Sepange bronze is a much nicer colour on e30, Hey Mizhan, I'm thinking about going on this route for my car.
:)

Guess what he has as his front bumper.

EEEE30;483455 said:
Sepange bronze is a much nicer colour on e30, Hey Mizhan, I'm thinking about going on this route for my car.
:)

Guess what he has as his front bumper.

Another sepang bronze E30? Yeah, it's a nice colour. Now I'm really glad I chose red at the last minute, otherwise both our 2-door E30 will look almost identical - both WBM plates too!

those look like U.S. spec bumpers.. but are they E30 bumpers?

mizhan;483461 said:
Another sepang bronze E30? Yeah, it's a nice colour. Now I'm really glad I chose red at the last minute, otherwise both our 2-door E30 will look almost identical - both WBM plates too!

those look like U.S. spec bumpers.. but are they E30 bumpers?

well it's not sepange bronze. It is Bronze and what you see on top of the bonet is actually oxdization (green colour stuff). It is really a head turner and looks cool when you see it in person.

He has those bumpers we call "diving board" bumpers which was meant only for US market, but he put his rear bumper at the front to get rid of the license plate holder cut out.

EEEE30 ....fuhh nice colour you have there ...got to see it in real action ...nice car too ...

sir mizhan ...any updates on this life time project which is a stunner ....

ICEMAN 13;484875 said:
EEEE30 ....fuhh nice colour you have there ...got to see it in real action ...nice car too ...

sir mizhan ...any updates on this life time project which is a stunner ....

thanks for the compliments bro.. you were at the paintshop? haven't been there in a week. they're supposed to touch up a few areas which i am not happy with. however some sanding is required, then need to queue for the paintbooth. i can't wait to get some of the trims on.. then it'll resemble a car, finally.

it's an E30 colour btw - misano rot.

sir mizhan ....just wanna know further ....what's the pro and cons of ceramic paint .... just wanna to know further .... other than that spectacular shine ...say for instance there is a scratch / knock which needs to touch up ...can they match the colour of the new area VS the original painted paint ??

ICEMAN 13;484884 said:
sir mizhan ....just wanna know further ....what's the pro and cons of ceramic paint .... just wanna to know further .... other than that spectacular shine ...say for instance there is a scratch / knock which needs to touch up ...can they match the colour of the new area VS the original painted paint ??

colour is the same stuff.. just the clearcoat contains ceramic molecules. so matching is not an issue.

ceramic based clearcoat is basically tougher than high-solid laquer. only reason to choose is the higher resistance towards scratches, chips, swirls & discolouration. this is not to say it can't be scratched at all, just tougher. hence you get a longer lasting finish.

the downside is the polishing.. it's toughness makes it difficult to smoothen. in fact, a car recently painted with high-solid will appear more shiny as it is easier to rub down & polish. it is over the years that ceramic clearcoat will appear more fresh compared to conventional laquer.

Hey Bro,

I just read all 34 pages and am absolutely amazed at your adventure where few may dare venture.

Restoration is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Syabas bro, this is a rare gem. :top:

BrianJ;485073 said:
Hey Bro,

I just read all 34 pages and am absolutely amazed at your adventure where few may dare venture.

Restoration is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Syabas bro, this is a rare gem. :top:

thanks bro.. hope to see you tonight!

kevster30;485080 said:
Updates.....we want updates!

these are photos as of yesterday. the story is like this -

after painting, tan used the services of the detailing shop next door in the interest of time; his own boys were busy with other customer cars.

unfortunately, those detailers underestimated the work required by a car recently sprayed with ceramic clear. they apparently lacked neither patience and/or skill to get the finish smooth and clear. the result - dents on the doors and roof. no need to ask how pissed i am.. not to mention 3 weeks wasted and another 3 to rectify.

as you can see, the doors are puttied where the surface was pushed in. tan will have to sand down all the affected panels and respray. undamaged panels shall be properly polished by his boys as shown below.

0203.jpg

0204.jpg

0205.jpg

Top Bottom