New Paintwork

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
stevenallgood;539567 said:
Hi Deli,

FYI GLASURITt is the brand of paint that are sprayed onto the car.For every respray, there are the undercoat, 2K base coat and then 2K clear coat. GLASURIT products are originally from Germany, that explain why BMW uses it on their cars .
Today most paint shops import the base inkfrom these manufacturers and mix to the color that you want with the metallic compound, be it Glasurit, Dupont, BASF etc. Of course there is a ratio for every shade of color.
Also someone mentioned why the resprayed paint is more prone to stratches compare to original paint. The reason is that new car paint is oven baked to a higher temperature after the painting in the factory. This is not possible for respray, can you imagine the car subject to the high temperature after the respray with all the rubber parts and interior parts attached to the car.That is the reason why if you can keep the original paint in its best condition, it will last a long time.
There is also 2 kind of 2K paint, 2K means mixture of 2 component, paint and hardener. The ones used by factory are mostly slow drying, therefore the need for high heat oven to dry the paint quickly.This also contribute to the extra hardness.
For refurbishment and respray, depending on the expertise of the resprayer, there is the alternative of faster drying 2K, which is cheaperand generally not as durable. BTW most spray booth that are used are generally to prevent dust from setting onto the car after the respray, there are not oven.

Sorry if I offened anybody, but just to share with fellow forumers.

Great info :top:

stevenallgood;539567 said:
. BTW most spray booth that are used are generally to prevent dust from setting onto the car after the respray, there are not oven.

Sorry if I offened anybody, but just to share with fellow forumers.

i have to agree on this statement for once ..yehh most of them are just preventing dust and not as oven ...but these days most of those repurtable shops already upgrade to oven furnace type ...

mine is always done in the close room and the oven is left to heat up (dry up) through out the night ...

ICEMAN 13;723941 said:
i have to agree on this statement for once ..yehh most of them are just preventing dust and not as oven ...but these days most of those repurtable shops already upgrade to oven furnace type ...

mine is always done in the close room and the oven is left to heat up (dry up) through out the night ...

Hi ICEMAN 13, could you pease share the shop which you go to for paint works. cheers!

Sorry for hijacking into the thread like this, I'm also looking into respraying my E46 which still has it's original coat on since 1999. Is there a good recommendation for a body shop to do that in Penang Island area preferably. Would be great if they can do my rims at the same time too.

Guys....any experience with Kim Foo Motor, at Batu Caves? Lots of fancy cars there.

i resprayed my car at soo seng bolton batu caves.....a bit pricy but the quality is superb.

bmadzi65;824416 said:
i resprayed my car at soo seng bolton batu caves.....a bit pricy but the quality is superb.

How much did you pay and did you change colour ?

Top Bottom