Need Help on Tyre Decision. Many thanks to helpers.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GreenGhost

Club Guest
Hi everyone.Im upgrading to 19s on my E46 325i. The rims im upgrading to is 8.5 inches.1. Im undecided on the tyres ( 235/35/19 ) between the TOYO T1R and MICHELIN PS2. I know they are completely different class all together. I want to try the T1R but have been told by the shop that it wont fit nicely. T1R has a tendency to leave a gap between the rim's lip and the tyre wall. As a result making the rims look small or aweful. Can anyone who has used the T1R let me know if this is true?2. 2nd question is on the width of the tyres. According to the manual the tyre size should only go as far as 235 and if i go wider it would rub. Has anyone fitted on 245s before? Was there any problem? Thanks to anyone who can help me out on these 2 issues.......Have a nice day, Jon

GreenGhost;211966 said:
Hi everyone.

Im upgrading to 19s on my E46 325i. The rims im upgrading to is 8.5 inches.

1. Im undecided on the tyres ( 235/35/19 ) between the TOYO T1R and MICHELIN PS2. I know they are completely different class all together.

I want to try the T1R but have been told by the shop that it wont fit nicely. T1R has a tendency to leave a gap between the rim's lip and the tyre wall. As a result making the rims look small or aweful.

Can anyone who has used the T1R let me know if this is true?

2. 2nd question is on the width of the tyres.
According to the manual the tyre size should only go as far as 235 and if i go wider it would rub.

Has anyone fitted on 245s before? Was there any problem?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out on these 2 issues.......

Have a nice day,

Jon

well the PS2 is by far the better tire, but the T1R is good too. 245 can fit but you might get some rubbing in the front, the back you can go up to 265 and still be ok. I'm thinking the shop just wants you to buy the PS2 because it's more expensive, you should ask them if they can test fit the T1R on your car first to see.

Thanks man! Just for info, a forummer PM-ed me that he tried out the T1R last week, and indeed the tyre did not wrap onto the rims nicely. Thanks again bro.

Another question which i think has been answered before, can i fit as below:

FRONT: 235 onto 8.5"
BACK: 255 onto 8.5'

If i sound dumbass, just shout it out. Im just trying to fill up the arches but dont know where to start on considering the practicality of it.

Thanks again for any info. Jon

This is funny.

Either no-one on this forum knows or they are not willing to share. I would have thought this is a very interesting issue.

you r the funny one

very few runs on 19"...wish i cud help but my tires only 15"

235 on 8.5 is a bit stretched, no?

255-275 is fine on the 8.5 rear.

Iirc PS2s have square shoulders, might want to work that into your considerations. Some tires allow you to go wider as they have rounded shoulders (enough fender clearance esp if you're lowered).

What offsets are you working with?

I don't think you have given enough information...

KL2DC;212910 said:
235 on 8.5 is a bit stretched, no?

255-275 is fine on the 8.5 rear.

Iirc PS2s have square shoulders, might want to work that into your considerations. Some tires allow you to go wider as they have rounded shoulders (enough fender clearance esp if you're lowered).

What offsets are you working with?

I don't think you have given enough information...

Ok time for me to share.

I was running on 225s for about a year on the 8.5s with the Dragons. It was okay, no real problems there considering i didnt have any tyre problems. No cracking on the insides either (assuming thats an issue with under-sized tyres).

Then i jumped onto the F1s on 235 for close to a year now on the same rims. It was perfect fit. Perfect. So i would answer you (my opinion) that No, its not a bit stretched. My opinion la.

In terms of squareness, if that is what you are looking for, forget about the PS2. The F1s are the most SQUARE you would find (my opinion). I was contemplating on the PS2 because of this issue.

Unfortunately, the F1s only come 245 in the 19s range, so im dissapointed. And, my tyre guy recommends i stay on the 235s especially in the front. I guess he is right too, i dont have much gap left currently, quite tight fit.

Offsets. Nope i have no idea. I tried to understand them. i really did but still dont understand them. So, i just go for the rim that is especially made for E46, so hopefully there shouldnt be any problems.

KL2DC, Im just curious on the 255-275 being able to fit onto the 8.5s, are you sure? Have you fit them before? I would have thought thats a little too much rubber. If i were to use even the 255s, thats 2cm more width of rubber. That alone seems too much, yet 275. What did you fit onto your Rear?

Thanks for the input though.

Sometimes it depends on the tires...Personally I'd go with 255 width, especially if I'm planning to track the car.

275 on 8.5 wheel
Picture023Small.jpg

On second thought, you're right, 235s up front is ok, the wider you go up front, the more you lose in feel/directness.

Also, I think you're right, it is the PS2s that have a softer shoulder than the F1s, I get mixed up between these 2 popular tires.

I don't have 19s, I'm running 225/40/18 on 8.0 fronts and 255/35/18 on 8.5 rears on Potenzas. They have ample lip to protect rims from curbing. Pirelli P-Zeros Neros don't, though.

Again its down to tire makes, they're not very consistent sometimes...

Top Bottom