My new craze

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Lee36328

Club Guest
Finally got off my lazy butt and decided to start learning about detailing...To mitigate my newbie ignorance, I read the websites as part of my research ritual, and got totally confused. In the old days, you just needed the following.BucketOld Rag (usually the shirt I have outgrown)Some soapA can of waxThat's my dad's detailing system right there.Now, his son's turn. Just bought the following.
product_G7116.jpg
Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
product_A2116.jpg
Deep Crystal® system Polish
product_G12711.jpg
A wax powered by Engineered Synthetic Polymer (ESP) technology the NXT Generation Tech Wax® Paste
product_X2010.jpg
Meguiar’s Supreme Shine® microfiber towel
product_A3316.jpg
Quik Detailer, which came in a kit together with Meguiar clay.Last but not least, a professional shop to appy all the above, because it's so complicated, I'd let the professionals do it first and see how they go about it. God forbid I'd apply the wax before claying and my car might explode.I mean, how many different types of towels does a man need?Microfibre wash mitt, microfiber drying towel, softtouch microfiber chamois, in 2 square feet, 3 square feet, 4 square feet, and for the really anal, 5 square feet. By the way, if you want to sell a towel for RM50, don't call it a towel, call it a 'water magnet'. A water spray is not a RM5 water spray. It's a RM80 'Quik Detailer Mist and Wipe'. They'll throw in a plasticine for free, cause you gotta be a child to swallow that. Gotta hand it to the Americans... pure marketing genius. I mean, they thought of everything. Would you like a mop, a bucket, and a glass cleaner to go with that? A bucket? Why would I need a Meguiar bucket? Won't any bucket do? Except it's not a bucket. It's a Microfiber Hidration System with Particle Expulsion And Quarantine Feature. Ok, I made that last one up.Went to a detailing shop at Sunway, and handed everything I just bought to Alex. He only charged me for service. Two hours later, my car looks 10 years younger.Excuse me, I gotta go. Gotta whip out my Quik Detailer and Microfiber Towel... I just saw a dust particle land on my bonnet.

My apologies for the thin layer of dust. Car was done yesterday. Photo was only taken just now.

wat color is tat lee? coz tat day i nearly painted tat color to my wifey's E36 but then decided white lor

Sorry to say, I don't know the name; it is a lighter version of the original bm blue... changed by the previous owner. I must find out from the paint shop the name of the colour, because I've been asked many times...

Just added the following to my collection.

product_G10916.jpg
Gold Class Rich Leather Spray, because my leather has been long neglected,

and

product_G12824.jpg
NXT Generation Spray Wax Booster, to touch up the wax after the usual bird-dropping, bug splatter in between detailing sessions.

535i, for you, I must get this compulsory item first...

product_G10716.jpg
Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover.

Bug splatter (from driving fast in a big-engined car) and road tar are highly adhesive and when left in place they will bond to your paint, potentially causing etching or staining. Gold Class™ Bug & Tar Remover is specifically designed to remove these extra tough substances before they mar your finish. For safe and effective removal of contaminants, we suggest using a high quality 100% cotton towel like our Ultra Plush Super Terry for agitation and final wipe off...

Less than RM100 per step. He charged me for 2 steps, which costs less than a 1-step wax job in the market.

Using my own materials saved me more than RM100 in total.

While you are at the Meguiar's shopping spree, you may want to check out the Nxt Metal Polisher and Nxt Interior Protectant. Effect last pretty long.

dude! .... may I hijack for a second?

Some recommendations:

Mothers leather cleaner and Mothers leather conditioner (about RM40+ each) - in a word... WOW! Excellent product, I feel its better than MG Gold Class. Tried MG, its a great product but I think mothers is better (who can arugue with a name like that anyways?). Will try the MG gold class 2 bottle version with aloe next (wow, like skin treatment) Mothers contain neatsfoot oil or something .... makes leather real soft :yes:

MG Nxt glass cleaner thing - also WOW (on new glass though, dunno how it will do with older glass).... smells like quik detailer.... maybe same ingredients?

good morning towel - highly recommended alternative to MG microfibers.... for those who aspire for the best but dont quite have the stomach for the prices.... good quality terry, buy lots coz they are cheap :)

MG quik detailer - excellent product... I use it when malas to wash .... make sure not too soiled otherwise may do damage.... this is what I do... just lightly spray bodywork with some water, then spray QD on one panel at a time and wiping off... works great with an already waxed car ... its mainly to get dirt and dirt off but ingredient also contains some wax so acts like a booster.... lazy man's tool

just a few cents......

Wah, long time no post, Jips. Good to have u back.

Quick note.

If I use only MG Glass Cleaner, my windshield wiper squeaks.

When I combine it with RainAct, the squeaks are gone.

ah lian;229821 said:
i had a bottle of that... and used it for your steering wheel last time. ;)

i tot you used something else to to lubricate it.....hehehe:p

fabianyee;229798 said:
Jip, where did you get Mother's products??

Have seen 2 places that stock it:

- ace in ikano; and

- the hardware in new wing centrepoint

both products should be placed side by side to each other.

Lee36328;229795 said:
Wah, long time no post, Jips. Good to have u back.

Quick note.

If I use only MG Glass Cleaner, my windshield wiper squeaks.

When I combine it with RainAct, the squeaks are gone.

Yeah Ive got that too.... maybe I'll try this rainact thing as well.... where you get yours?

FYI there is a new product ... forgot the brand.... but its called the ICE range.... ace hardware stock them.... whats interesting is they have a liquid claybar product.... cooooool..... should be easier to use than MG QD + clay ...... havent tried it yet but thinking of using it for my E30 which has massive water spot problem.... was thinking of doing liquid clay bar then go with something to cut back a layer then.... wow Im tired just thinking of it.... maybe I'll just leave it be.....

Top Bottom