My First Conti Car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

echoesian

Club Guest
Hi everyone, I'm currently driving a 6 years old Toyota Vios, I wish to upgrade to my first conti car :)My budget is around 150k-180k, so I think new car is definitely out of reach. I was browsing through mudah.my and saw few 320i recon within the range but today I saw one E60 520i year 2005 recon which is around 180k I was like what a deal? Just wanna know from you guys, what are the observations that need to make to buy a recon BMW?

I think the first thing that members here will tell you is to introduce yourself in newbie section :p

Anyway, I was in the same show as yours with budget only 200k and finally got my 06' 525i complete with bodykit and a few more accessories so I felt satisfied.

I do not know much about BMW as I am also a newbie but given your budget of 180k, the price of that 05' 525i sounds just right. Probably you can get 320d which is highly recommended (docrayboy might jump into this thread any minutes now :p).

Astronyu;649720 said:
I think the first thing that members here will tell you is to introduce yourself in newbie section :p

Anyway, I was in the same show as yours with budget only 200k and finally got my 06' 525i complete with bodykit and a few more accessories so I felt satisfied.

I do not know much about BMW as I am also a newbie but given your budget of 180k, the price of that 05' 525i sounds just right. Probably you can get 320d which is highly recommended (docrayboy might jump into this thread any minutes now :p).

I wish to own the 320d too but new one costs 260k! it's way out of my budget... It's really tempting to see the 520 SE for 178k year 2005. Btw, where did you buy your 525i and how is it, is there any issue?

echoesian;649739 said:
I wish to own the 320d too but new one costs 260k! it's way out of my budget... It's really tempting to see the 520 SE for 178k year 2005. Btw, where did you buy your 525i and how is it, is there any issue?

Best to read/search through the old threads. There's a lot of info there particularly about pre-owned units but I hate to spoon feed :D Also I seriously suggest that you get a test drive of both the 320i and 320d and even the 323i/325i so that you get a good feel of what each car is capable of.

Good luck. I've driven the Camry several times, it's a spacious and comfortable car, very different from the 3-series aside from the price range.

We also have car for sale section too..like one of the 320i selling here for RM148k..
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...TS-BMW-E90-320i-(Yr.-2008)-Below-Market-Price

OR E60 530i 2004 also for sale for RM184k here: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?42003-My-UDMs-For-Sale-E46-328-amp-E60-530

and also a beautiful E60 (almost the same as mine) selling for RM205k here: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?41510-WTS-BMW-E60-530i-Hamann-Edition-Race

I guess, other sifus will shed some light about your dilemma.

As for mine, I was asking around like you about 3 series or 5 series. Almost bought 320d then changed my mind after a forumer offering his E60 which upon gazing I completely fell in love with.

Astronyu;649751 said:
We also have car for sale section too..like one of the 320i selling here for RM148k..
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...TS-BMW-E90-320i-(Yr.-2008)-Below-Market-Price

OR E60 530i 2004 also for sale for RM184k here: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?42003-My-UDMs-For-Sale-E46-328-amp-E60-530

and also a beautiful E60 (almost the same as mine) selling for RM205k here: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?41510-WTS-BMW-E60-530i-Hamann-Edition-Race

I guess, other sifus will shed some light about your dilemma.

As for mine, I was asking around like you about 3 series or 5 series. Almost bought 320d then changed my mind after a forumer offering his E60 which upon gazing I completely fell in love with.

Just wanna know is the 5 series spacious at the rear seats like Camry as well? I heard the maintenance costs for BMW is about 2x or 3x higher than Jap cars?

echoesian;649739 said:

u can ask authorized dealers (ab,quill,ingress etc) for their premium selection 320d ranging from 215k nego.
tiptop cond,still with warranty and bsri for 3y/60000kms.i think worth paying slightly more for a hassle free first few years.
just my 2 cents though.

p/s: for 320i,its gonna be sub200k. btw if only u consider 3er,since its smaller compared to the ones u comparing like 5er and camry. :)

echoesian;649760 said:
Just wanna know is the 5 series spacious at the rear seats like Camry as well?

Seriously you can't get that kind of info without going and test driving the cars. Are you putting 1 person or 4 children in the back seat? Are you putting fat or skinny people? Are you putting front facing child seats or rear facing infant seats? The curvature of the seats are different, the center tunnel is different, the seat cushion is different, the AC vents are in different places...

Again good luck. Go test drive :D

buying a used bmw is fairly economical but consideration should be more towards the ability to maintain the car...

Can't compare E90 3 series & Camry..totally different class of cars!..It's comparing Vios to Camry..

Agree with others..do go test drive the cars you have in mind. Once you identify the car you want then can look at budget,..of course not a brand new Conti but pre-owned ones, maybe older models compared to the new ones now..

If you are into the driving experience & the thrill of a solid drive..BMW is what you are looking for. If you are looking for comfort & cheaper drive, cheap (relatively) maintainance & large enough for family then Camry would be your choice.

Hope that helps. Seems you are still unsure of what you really want so suggest sit down & talk with your other half first..(if you have other half..:biggrin:)

Cheers :)

echoesian;649745 said:
I'm considering a new Toyota Camry as well...guys please shed some lights...thanks
bro,
You can never go wrong with a brand new car. No "headache & heartache" for the next 3 years! Camry has more cabin space vs E60 especially in the rear due to the non-existence of the rear transmission hump (rear wheel drive-shaft). Both T2 and Greg were spot-on in their comments above. In addition, by posting in this website, you can expect bias views from many BMWs' enthusiasts. So, follow your heart or head? Your call:)

gregcwho;649802 said:
Can't compare E90 3 series & Camry..totally different class of cars!..It's comparing Vios to Camry..

Agree with others..do go test drive the cars you have in mind. Once you identify the car you want then can look at budget,..of course not a brand new Conti but pre-owned ones, maybe older models compared to the new ones now..

If you are into the driving experience & the thrill of a solid drive..BMW is what you are looking for. If you are looking for comfort & cheaper drive, cheap (relatively) maintainance & large enough for family then Camry would be your choice.

Hope that helps. Seems you are still unsure of what you really want so suggest sit down & talk with your other half first..(if you have other half..:biggrin:)

Cheers :)

Haha my other half will surely ask me to give the downpayment to her instead of buy a car :)

let me try to be unbiased as i currently have both the camry and bmw 5-sili

if you are not using the car you going to buy for extreme spirited drive then the Camry is a good choice...the camry's rear swaying issue during taking a bend can be minimize with a thicker anti roll bar...i had mine fitted...the 2.4v is not a slow car and not really fast but it will give 523 and 525 a run for its money until 200kmh...after that the camry's ecu refuse to take you further...hehehe if you are daredevil driver then you can give then a run during the bend as well...pros-less maintenance = no headache, ease of use and the space...cons-lacks mechanical grip (does not feel planted on the road at high speed)....apart from that its hard to find fault for a car this size and prize...no drama car...

for the 5-sili, well if you like driving either slow or super fast then you can't be wrong if you get this car...it will reward you greatly if you are a precision driver...its is much more refined and precise compared to other makes in the same class...what you need to consider is the capabilities to maintain the car to its tip top condition in order to continuously enjoy such an engineering 'joy'...thats all...this is part of the ownership experience which makes owning a bmw a love or hate affair...if one makes an effort to understand the car in fine details then maintaining a bmw is enjoyable and at the same time not getting ur pocket robbed...its kinda like a car that serves you as transport and also hobby to keep it tip-top...

my fare share of opinion which i always share with my gf...

i have hav a coupe E30 for daily and spirited run...reason is when i go to work, it only me why not have a fun car that i enjoy every moment before going to work to clear my blues..cant (dun wish to) afford another fun car thus still hesitate to get a Z then i might need to sell my precious E30..as for other time where fetching parents (or kids in future), safetly and confort/space is more important..thus had set up my mind to get a 5008, still a conti..jus not a BMW..and its much cheaper than a camry now

For a 320d, a SA from AB given me 4% discount and 1% or 0% interest rate depending how much is the loan, has anyone come across a better deal than this?

BMW is a driver's car, other makes are passengers' car..cabutzzz

JFT63;650158 said:

I'm sure Porsche, Ferrari, MacLaren and a host of other car makers will disagree :D

JFT63;650158 said:

not even passenger cars, more like kitchen appliances :biggrin:

Top Bottom