Meguiars SwirlX

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

darylchan

Club Guest
I just bought a bottle of megs swirlx yesterday evening and tried it out on a section of my hood.Application was by hand, using a Megs foam applicator pad (RM6).Applied 2 passes with moderate pressure and it didn't even remove holograms significantly, let alone swirl marks. Geez...That's not what you would be lead to believe if you watched the videos on Youtube. Apply 1 pass by hand and all the defects disappear like magic.I work in the advertising line, so I know not to believe everything you see. Maybe it's a user problem, cos i'm a newbie to all this detailing stuff, but to me, this product... DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED.

What kinda paint are you working on? Original BMW paint or other types like Glasurit might be too hard for SwirlX to work easily by hand.

darylchan;551168 said:
I just bought a bottle of megs swirlx yesterday evening and tried it out on a section of my hood.
Application was by hand, using a Megs foam applicator pad (RM6).
Applied 2 passes with moderate pressure and it didn't even remove holograms significantly, let alone swirl marks. Geez...

That's not what you would be lead to believe if you watched the videos on Youtube. Apply 1 pass by hand and all the defects disappear like magic.

I work in the advertising line, so I know not to believe everything you see. Maybe it's a user problem, cos i'm a newbie to all this detailing stuff, but to me, this product...

DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED.

bro free to meet up

I would like to view.... what is your paint condition.....generally working on hand is really tough..& with the wrong product making it more frustrating

i still remeber 10 years ago when i started detailing

my friend gave me 2 tubs of product.....farecla G3 compound & took me 7 days to finish rubbing my white kancil
it advertise & says "welcome to farecla world-class surface finishing - Products"...i nearly gave them my foot..hahahahaha

2 tub wax...another 4 hours

can u imagine......i am still doing it with hand now....it will takes months to complete a full paint corrections..

what i would suggest....we need to identify the real paint issue..do u have day light (under noon day suin pics)
to show....& prehaps it might be more than that.....paint beneath issue...like sanding marks...

IMG_0844.JPG

this has both Swirls & holograms...worst still terrible soft paint

another newly painted black
poorly finish by the car painter...& wrong technique & products prehaps

P1000169.JPG

this hologram like effect is actually caused by road side car wash.....chances are by hand this panel will takes u hours - est 4-5 just for 2X2 to get it mirror finish

DSC08218.JPG

another e36

washing swirls & buffing hologram
IMG_0140.JPG

let meet & view yr babe

I think my car falls under the "Newly-Painted-But-Poorly-Finished-By-Painter" category
Sorry I don't have pix of the defects but meeting up is great >> UGPM

Back to the topic, from what I've read supposedly the trio of Megs Ultimate Compound, ScratchX and SwirlX are designed for hand use so maybe I would need to start with a more aggressive product like the compound before moving on to swirlX...
From what I've read, swirlX is roughly equivalent to Megs #205

darylchan;551480 said:
I think my car falls under the "Newly-Painted-But-Poorly-Finished-By-Painter" category
Sorry I don't have pix of the defects but meeting up is great >> UGPM

Back to the topic, from what I've read supposedly the trio of Megs Ultimate Compound, ScratchX and SwirlX are designed for hand use so maybe I would need to start with a more aggressive product like the compound before moving on to swirlX...
From what I've read, swirlX is roughly equivalent to Megs #205

If applying by hand, you need to apply enough SwirlX so that your applicator is wet with it, then rub it very hard on the car surface. From my experience you will need to repeat the process a few times.

Things will be easier and faster if you have the arms of a gorilla. If you decide to do the whole car by hand, at the end of it all, you WILL have arms like a gorilla or end up crippled.

The fastest and best way is to apply SwirlX with a Makita to get rid of swirls. Or you can get KC and Seech to detail your car till swirl-free then maintain it from there on.

Salut

Thank salut for your great input

.....hahahaha..i like your grolila arms...must be hairy too.......

as for the product range meguiars has 2 range

consumer & professional

the consumer ....like swirls x , ultimate compound some how is less aggressivecompare to the professional range

I for once have had tried out almost everything OTC....once i found the right product...i stop shopping around...cause...every product has its life spent...pls do not store it prolong...i ended throwing alot alot of them when they got seperated

Thanks

what i suggest come over & send her to our ICU lo

our gentle hand will help you to resasitate

Early this morning before heading out to work, decided to give SwirlX another try, since I still have a whole bottle of the stuff.
This time tried it out on my boot panel.

This milky stain appeared soon after the car got resprayed. I never knew what caused it though...
DSC01397.jpg

With some elbow grease, the stain is gone.
DSC01399.jpg

Here's a 50/50 comparison shot after doing half the boot panel with SwirlX. Basically it takes off the top layer of embedded dirt, you can see on the applicator pad and it does make the colour noticeably deeper and shinier. The pic doesn't really show it and I didn't want to adjust the contrast, but in real life the difference is significant.
DSC01398.jpg

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, SwirlX does not remove swirls. It does, however do a good job of enhancing gloss.
DSC01400.jpg

Copied this from Meguiars forum rep:

From most to least aggressive,
  • M105 Ultra Cut Compound
  • Ultimate Compound
  • ScratchX 2.0
  • SwirlX
  • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
  • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish - M80 Speed Glaze (Different types of abrasives but close in cut ability)
  • ScratchX (Current Version being discontinued)
  • M80 Speed Glaze
Should give a good indication of cut; I think since your paint is hard, you might wanna try using Ultimate Compound instead. I have a bottle and it's good enough to remove 1500grit sanding marks by hand using a microfiber pad.

Top Bottom