MAF problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

atzi

Club Guest
Hello everybody,May I know where can I service (cleaning) my e36 318i MAF? (KL area). Thank you

AFM have a tendency to have sticky vane due to built up of dirt.

A lot of people just spray to clean it but it will give problem later when the oil dries up.

You need to "file" off the rubbing part. check my DIY on AFM and also russie DIY.

AFM vs MAF
MAFandafm1.jpg

Service AFM
ResizeofIMG_0191a.jpg

afmopen.jpg

afmviewbottom.jpg

jarance;621906 said:
AFM have a tendency to have sticky vane due to built up of dirt.

A lot of people just spray to clean it but it will give problem later when the oil dries up.

You need to "file" off the rubbing part. check my DIY on AFM and also russie DIY.

AFM vs MAF
MAFandafm1.jpg

Service AFM
ResizeofIMG_0191a.jpg

afmopen.jpg

afmviewbottom.jpg

i don't have to see this problem no longer anymore .....

hi jarance,

can you do it for me? I'll come to your place. Thank you

I am in Klang lar. but before I say yes, how sure are you that it is the AFM sticky vane problem?

btw, are you the diy type and have some basic tools?

i'm quite the diy type..but i'm not very sure (not so understand) how to clean the afm..from the picture is it i've to remove the rubbing part?

Here is a DIY by Russie. (Russie - hope you dont mind I borrow your work)

Russie;432960 said:
Hi guys,

I managed to get my AFM cleaned today, thanks to Jarance for his wonderful help. Jarance had earlier posted a similar DIY process at:-

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494&highlight=AFM

My thread should be read in conjunction with Jarance's, so check it out.

The process is exactly the same, so I am just gonna post some of the pictures taken this afternoon.

Man-at-work: Jarance
Photographer: Russie

AFM for M43 engine
1.jpg

The flap on my AFM is stucked when it's pushed 100% (i.e. it did not spring back)
2.jpg

Another view on the fully opened flap
3.jpg

Remove the AFM from the air filter housing
4.jpg

Open the top cover of the AFM - a lot of screws to be removed
5.jpg

Closer look...
6.jpg

Use a pen-knife, cut open the top cover (a lot of silicone glue covering it)
7.jpg

Another view on how to cut open the top cover
8.jpg

This is a tricky part, to push open the cover using a screw driver.. man, it's so tight (my AFM has never been opened before, it's a virgin :))
9.jpg

Jeng, jeng jeng...finally the top cover is opened up
10.jpg

Testing the flap movement in clockwise. It's quite reluctant to move smoothly, so some cleaning is to be done
11.jpg

A closer look at the inner part of the AFM. Notice the slightly corroded surface?
12.jpg

Another look at the AFM before the cleaning process starts
13.jpg

Use a proper tool to grind away the corroded surface of the flap, creating a restriction free movement
14.jpg

Similarly, grinding away some corroded surface on the flap as it's been scratching the flat cover
15.jpg

Use the "Carb and Choke Cleaner" to spray on the inner part of the AFM, be careful not to overspray on the temperature sensor
16.jpg

The spray cleaning in process
17.jpg

Use finger to scrub away the dirt and carbon build-up
18.jpg

Applying some sort of grease to smoothen the surface on the AFM (not sure what grease is that)
19.jpg

Noted that the top cover of the flap was also scracted by the movement of the way, so using the right tool to chip and smoothen the rough surface
20.jpg

Another similar look
21.jpg

Finally, screw back all the screws to secure the front flat panel of the AFM
22.jpg

Final test: Start the engine and rev it up a few times to test if the flap is still stuck. No flap stucking even when the engine is revved up to 5,500 rpm. With air-cond off engine speed is at approx. 500rpm, with air-cond at approx. 750rpm -800rpm (normal I guess)

Result:
1) Smoother engine revving
2) Better pick-up
3) Smoother kick-down
4) More confidence in over-taking cars

Note: Drove my car from Klang back to Setapak, tested some kick-down along NKVE, no more flap stucking...feels like a UDM again. Reached back home at Setapak, rested for 10 minutes then took another drive to Klang again (for another function) and the journey was smooth...

Will monitor on the fuel consumption and other effects over the coming weeks and will update you guys.

Special thanks to bro Jarance for his friendly advices and help on the DIY process.

atzi;617220 said:
Hello,

I own a 1996 E36 318i (Auto) with 120k miles.

Problem: While idling (and only while idling), the rpm will intermittently drop down to the 500rpm line and seems the engine loss of power. This normally happens after the car has been started and running for a few minutes (warm). It is triggered by one of the following load conditions (at idle):

1. putting the car in reverse (sometimes the engine dies) or drive.
2. pressing the power window button.
3. turning the steering wheel to the end in one direction or the other.
4. it gets very annoying especially when A/C compressing.

Sometimes the idle will drop down to (or below) the 500 rpm mark and return back to where it was. After driving and coming to a stop (idle), the rpm will sometimes be normal (650-750) and other times it will be low ( 2300 rpm.

Is the rpm eratic when the aircon is OFF?

Does your car stall at low RPM?

Do you feel any loss of power at rpm > 2300 rpm. ----> No

Is the rpm eratic when the aircon is OFF? ----> Yes

Does your car stall at low RPM? ----> No, but sometime it stall when putting the car in reverse

OK,

When you On and OFF the aircon, how is the RPM?

Does it go up when off the aircon and down when on the aircon or vice-versa?

Sorry to ask so many question.. As I have not test the car, I need to "feel" your car by asking the question.

also, when did you last change the battery and what is the rating of the battery install in your car.

idling speed should not be affect by power window unless the battery is almost at its life span or undersized.

when I on the air-con, the rpm goes up a about 900rpm (that's should be normal right?). But, the rpm will goes down (500-600rpm) in a second then going up back to normal rpm with air con on. This (rpm goes down) is repeating about 6-7 times per minute. Also goes down with air con off but it's repeating about 1-2 times per minute.

It's ok. Don't mind. I'm also really want to know what actually the problem come from.

atzi;624506 said:
when I on the air-con, the rpm goes up a about 900rpm (that's should be normal right?). But, the rpm will goes down (500-600rpm) in a second then going up back to normal rpm with air con on. This (rpm goes down) is repeating about 6-7 times per minute. Also goes down with air con off but it's repeating about 1-2 times per minute.

It's ok. Don't mind. I'm also really want to know what actually the problem come from.

I am pretty sure that your AFM vane is stuck. Try open the air filter and peep thru the opening to see the vane position.
Use a long screwdriver and try to push it in. If it does not spring back, then confirm vane problem.

2.jpg

Jarance, it's ok to use my AFM DIY cleaning thread for the benefits of others...

Russie;625954 said:
Jarance, it's ok to use my AFM DIY cleaning thread for the benefits of others...

btw, It been almost 18 months since we last service your AFM. Any problem? Some feedback please.

No major problem so far. However, about 3 weeks ago I encountered a "cough" during cold start...the idling was rough (maybe becoz I have not started the car for a week?). Did some mild revving and the idling went stable again. Maybe becoz my ICV is also not in good condition. Todate, there was no other major problems. Thanks for your help! :)

I occassionally (1x every year maybe) encounter this minor but irritating problem. Scary when i drove at slow speed once and the engine died while the car was in motion, so the power steering shut down and the brakes din work so good. Started and kept at high rev while emmitting plenty black smelly smoke. After a bit, it was fine but I knew a service on the watchamacallit (MAF) was due... normally do mine at the Shell station mech near the EPF building along Jln Gasing. Quick and cheap...works for me... BTW I drive the same model

Top Bottom