M5 Brake 'Retrofit' on 525i...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

t2ribena

Club guest
Since I found that the stock 530 brakes (324mm disc) on the CKD 525i M-Sports is insufficient and prone to fading if you drive fast and hard for extended time, i started a quest to 'retrofit' the M5 front brake kit (374mm disc). I prefer the M5 brakes because of the 'original' BMW feel
icon10.gif
and also the fact that the dics are of compound material compares to the Brembo BBK... Afta doing some research and waiting for opportunity to get one set of the M5 front brakes, i finally received the shipment today and straight i went to get it installed at freddie's place...halfway thru found that the caliper clip was missing...damn:eek: but since on the car liau so just use it as it is...no hard braking...
icon10.gif
now waiting for the clips to arrive... here are some photos...
15-06-09_1545.jpg
the stock front brake...
15-06-09_1624.jpg
the M5 brake caliper..it is so huge...
15-06-09_1737.jpg
the disc and caliper installed...
15-06-09_1706.jpg
another angle...

wah... who u want to Tiong now?

Does your setup retain the original heat shield? The disc must be damm heavy.

wc9922;429969 said:
wah... who u want to Tiong now?

Does your setup retain the original heat shield? The disc must be damm heavy.

not to tiong ppl ler...:listen:

yes the original heat shield is retained (same part number as M5) and based on the hand weight gauge, i feel the M5 dics (compound disc riveted onto aluminium alloy dics carrier/hub) is lighter than the standard dics on my car...this is confirmed based on real data from BMW the M5 dics is 9.86kg (caliper+pads is 8.16kg) and the stock wan is 10.46kg (caliper+pads is 5.76kg) but as u can see the caliper on the M5 is much heavier...about 2.4kg heavier on each side...

Wah Our Tiong King is upgrading his brakes for the next Club Drive

Watch out Evos RX8 M3 M5 Fairlady GTR. hehehehe

the floating disc is made of steel and alloy hub in the center..

tot the M5 caliper is twin pot ?

pussy;430033 said:
the floating disc is made of steel and alloy hub in the center..

tot the M5 caliper is twin pot ?

yes it is twin pot but both on the back of the caliper...not the one in one out type...

GhostDriver;430288 said:
How much did that kit set you back, if you dont mind revealing.

for second hand price it is subjected to willing seller willing buyer...

I got mine from a guy in US that upgraded his M5 front brake to Brembo...the kit has 500miles on it and i bought it around USD1500 shipped and taxed...:top:

new ones for the front is about RM13k ex-stock Germany...so haven't include shipping & tax yet...tax is 30% +10%...

good brake on super flying ride bro (after listening story fr thai trip)

Top Bottom