Leaving my E90 for 2 weeks

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

atty

Club Guest
Easy questions for you BMW experts out there.I will be travelling overseas for 2 weeks. It is necessary to get someone to start & warm up my E90 LCI engine every other day? Or maybe at least once a week? If not will the car start when i return 2 weeks later? Will the tyres develop flat spot as well? The car comes with standard issue run-flats. Do i need to get someone to move the car around?I have been driving Jap cars for the last ten years. I have only 3 mths experience with a BMW. Thanks.

I've left my E90 unattended for 4 weeks before.. no problems at all. I just made sure my tyres were all fully pumped up first though.

Actually, I've left it unattended for >2 weeks several times already.

I suppose that is how you chose your nick Traveler - cause you travel/away a lot?! :)

What do you mean by having the tyres fully pumped up?
Just the normal recommended pressure or pumped even higher?

I leave my E90 for 5 weeks twice so far since i bought the car...just start the car 2-3 times in a week, since we are servicing every 10k i dont think there will be any sludge problems..

atty;495815 said:
Easy questions for you BMW experts out there.

I will be travelling overseas for 2 weeks. It is necessary to get someone to start & warm up my E90 LCI engine every other day? Or maybe at least once a week? If not will the car start when i return 2 weeks later?

Will the tyres develop flat spot as well? The car comes with standard issue run-flats. Do i need to get someone to move the car around?

I have been driving Jap cars for the last ten years. I have only 3 mths experience with a BMW. Thanks.

trust me, 2 weeks wont b a problem. but if u can get sumone to start d engine 4 at least 10 mins per week and lat least have a short drive would be better, provided the driver is a safe friver =P pumping up abit of air in the tyres also might help to reduce flat spots, but if u have sumbody 2 have a short drive of ur UDM, then it is not necessary duer to the tyre will rest on other spots. dun worry, 2 weeks is just a short time, just dun leave d hazard light/parking lights on, then evthing should b ok.

have a nice trip! =D

no problem. in fact, when i went for a longer duration, i just send my car to Ingress.. extra security pun + free car wash

atty;495878 said:
I suppose that is how you chose your nick Traveler - cause you travel/away a lot?! :)

What do you mean by having the tyres fully pumped up?
Just the normal recommended pressure or pumped even higher?

I just pumped to the normal recommended pressure (for 4 ppl), but it going to leave it for even longer (like 3-4 weeks), I pumped it to the recommended pressure (for 4 ppl + luggage; ie the max level).

And yes.. that was how my nick was born :)

racheltoh;495924 said:
no problem. in fact, when i went for a longer duration, i just send my car to Ingress.. extra security pun + free car wash

I am thinking of doing the same in April as I'll be abroad for about 10 days. How much does Ingress charge for such service? It's for comparison purposes as I'll be storing mine in Tian Siang, Ipoh.

jazzler;495960 said:
I am thinking of doing the same in April as I'll be abroad for about 10 days. How much does Ingress charge for such service? It's for comparison purposes as I'll be storing mine in Tian Siang, Ipoh.

Normally, travel time, best time to service your car! I will be travelling about 17days from Saturday onwards. I just send my car to AB for some warranty claim, as our fren said, free security, free car wash. :listen: May be I should change my radiator coolant... Feel bad... hehe...

It's quite normal for me to leave the car +- 2 weeks in a row. Nothing fancy, I just make sure the the tire pressure is good + ful tank (no reason really)

When I come back from my trip - warm it up a bit, check the tire pressure (m not using RFT) before driving off. Depending on your tires - you will notice a bit of flat spot but it will go away after couple of miles.

If it's a relatively new car - no need to worry abt the battery. My car is 5 yrs old - the batt was flat once .. :eek:.. No major drama, really.

And for my E34s ; 1 - 2 months unattended is also normal .. Same principle applies.

But all cars are garaged .

Just my personal experience ..

535i;495970 said:
It's quite normal for me to leave the car +- 2 weeks in a row. Nothing fancy, I just make sure the the tire pressure is good + ful tank (no reason really)

When I come back from my trip - warm it up a bit, check the tire pressure (m not using RFT) before driving off. Depending on your tires - you will notice a bit of flat spot but it will go away after couple of miles.

If it's a relatively new car - no need to worry abt the battery. My car is 5 yrs old - the batt was flat once .. :eek:.. No major drama, really.

And for my E34s ; 1 - 2 months unattended is also normal .. Same principle applies.

But all cars are garaged .

Just my personal experience ..

i can volunteer to drive ur e34's once a week, just to make sure that the fluids in the car can circulate. :top:

ramsing;495990 said:
i can volunteer to drive ur e34's once a week, just to make sure that the fluids in the car can circulate. :top:

Harro - got the real M5 oso want to makan luar kaaa ..
jantan kabaret ... !:stupid:

My work requires me to stay away from my E90 for 6 months in a year, and only got to drive her 6 other months.

So, beginilah cerita nya...

The BMW mobile service drop by my house doing some monthly maintenance/checking. As per his recomendation, those E90 LCI models tends to drain the battery more compare to those non LCI. Due to my working nature, he suggested me to start the car or drive the car at least twice a week for a 15 minutes session, or else if the battery gone flat the car electronis/computer system will go haywire and will need major re-programming. Also the battery is in 4 digit figure to replace. Even those showroom car, the technician will charge the battery once a week to avoid this. The charger is being sold at the SC by the way....

As for baby, I have my wife to warm her up. (My wife don't want to drive the UDM) She prefer her 4x4!

Interesting. Do you have to give them the key and pay for that service? And if you leave it at a dealer's, will they start it or trickle charge it for you?

If I'm going to lay up a car, I'll usually take it for a good highway drive (eg to KLIA and back), flooring the accelerator a few times, just before parking it. That charges up the battery and circulates the oil to all parts of the engine.

Since the car under warranty, there is no service charges for the BMW mobile service. BTW, I am staying in East Malaysia, it will be a dream to have those nice highways that the West have. My UDM only being use in those small city road from my house to town for a breakfast or a daily market.....what waste right?

Anyway, BMW mobile service comes once a month...so they just being nice enough to do some diagnostic check.

Should not be a problem....I leave mine idle for months at a time and it gets going first time. Better if u can get someone to start and warm the car once a fortnight at the very least.

Top Bottom