KL2DC's E70 Experience - pics, video link

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

KL2DC

Club Guest
Ok gang... Another comparo from me, its been a while since I've gone out to one of these corporate-run and organized shin digs.
DSC05661.jpg
Just to recap, in conjunction with the recent E70 launch, BMW USA organized a couple of E70 Ultimate Driving Experience events around the country, by invitation only. I always look forward to BMW's events as they have a very decided performance lean i.e. you get to push the cars hard :p
DSC05450.jpg
DSC05449.jpg
DSC05441.jpg
Basically the event includes the usual: X5 demo, technical pavilion, autocross sessions with the X5 and picked competitors (instructors ride along to get you out of trouble :rolleyes: ), Susan G Komen drives - the works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RAFseqhWN0
DSC05440.jpg
DSC05465.jpg

Off we go to the autocross tracks....:p

DSC05477.jpg

'Redbeard' my designated guide/instructor from BMW's Performance Ctr, SC

DSC05479.jpg

The brave instructors pleading with us to behave :D - not a chance!

DSC05485.jpg

My first drive/outing was in the top of the line Volvo XC90 V8 Sport

DSC05496.jpg

I actually love this car. The Yamaha-design V8 is a sweetheart with great power delivery and smoothness. I must say, this engine is more melodic and sonorous than even BMW's 4.8 V8 mill.

Handlingwise, as expected in the XC90's FWD biased set up, is nose heavy. In the tighter sections of the autocross route, there is plow understeer and at exit, there is noticeable torque steer.

But, I must say the car felt very good. Ok the steering feel is not up to BMW standards but the fit and finish felt substantial. So was the general feel of the car in total - confidence inspiring and solid.

I was very impressed by this SUV.

DSC05567.jpg

DSC05566.jpg

Next step up, the E70 X5 4.8 V8.

DSC05505.jpg

This was a fully loaded model i.e.premium package, sport package - pretty much everything but active steering (there is a reason). I was very excited to get behind the wheel of this car ever since the launch.

My wife behind the wheel
DSC05502.jpg

Now we're talking :D We're in familiar territory now, yeah.

Off the bat, the first thing you notice about the E70 is the steering feel. I say it now and I say it again, this is one of the best reasons to buy a BMW. It's money.
There is a good weight and linearity to the E70's steering feel.

The V8 has good power but I thought it didn't sound half as good as the volvo's more sophisticated sounding engine. In-cabin, it sounds pretty much like any late model german V8.

Handling is the best of the bunch as can be expected. There is a fluidity to the body's motions upon tight entry, trail braking and exit. My wife thought the car was the most forgiving i.e. when you overcook entry or screwup braking points. In abrupt transitions, the chassis is the most flexible (i.e. the rear is able to adjust the car's attitude even with x-drive, and DSC full on). Very sporty! Very entertaining!

Braking is sure footed and the most linear-feeling of the bunch. Its easier to brake late in the E70 than the rest.

Here's a clincher, I did not think the E70 was a better built car than the volvo. I think the E53 had better interior quality. There was a loud rattling from the cargo area that I thought was somewhat annoying. Not good in a new car :confused: It might've been the cargo area cover or maybe the 3rd row seat mechanism.

DSC05512.jpg

Next step up...the Mercedes-Benz ML500 Sport (W-164)

DSC05510.jpg

Now some of you may be familiar with my anti-mercedes *cough* Chrysler *cough* lean :p

But when it comes to driving, I often try to be as objective as I can.

Truth be told the ML is one car you really like to like. Its got all the good stuff, that famous badge, well priced, car looks decent especially with the sport package, that sort of deal.

First overwhelming driving experience - 'mushy' :eek:

After the E70 and the XC90, the MB felt the most isolated from the road and its motion, there is a certain delay in communication from the first time you input steer, brake or throttle. It might very well be the luxury lean, who knows - out there on the autocross this observation comes out loud and clear.

Aside from some questionable interior bits and pieces, the whole car does feel solid though. I thought it was a competent car out on the autocross with good acceleration, grip, balance and braking. It was just missing essential connectivity with the road, ultimately rendering it unmemorable and boring, in my opinion.

As far as powertrain goes, I thought the engine (MB's venerable 5.0 V8), sounded the weakest along with the Lexus GX470, 'wheezy' was the impression I got. It does deliver nicely though, just didn't sound as good.

I could do this all day...wheeee
DSC05522.jpg

DSC05480.jpg

Next on the menu...

The X5 4.8 Sport with Active Steer.

BMW was adamant to highlight the virtues of active steer. Constant reminders were communicated by the instructors on the differences etc etc

DSC05541.jpg

DSC05508.jpg

DSC05516.jpg

DSC05543.jpg

Same notations as the non-active steer with the exception:

News flash! I love the active steering lol I know I've expressed some strong opinions on active steering and its non-linearity.

But out on the autocross, this system works wonders.

On the E70, turn in was so crisp and direct, you just have to think about the corner entry and you're in! wow, great stuff. Aside from this observation, one would be hard pressed to know the difference, at least on this track.

The only thing I could ask for is more steering wheel weight.

DSC05572.jpg

ok now is time for an actual truck based SUV, the Lexus GX470 which is mostly a gussied-up Toyota 4Runner. This is the most traditional SUV with a body on frame chassis set up.

DSC05551.jpg

Verdict:

Outclassed by all 3!!

This SUV is definitely not happy in the tight confines of the autocross setup.

There is so much lean, you can sense and feel tire sidewall scrub. At the limit, among all the lean, the car will plow.

The brakes is grabby but at least they bite well.

Steering is light and lifeless. Engine felt the most stressed.

The interior is nicely finished though. Lexus have the best leather imho, very supple. You do get the sense of unquestionable reliability/quality sitting in a Lexus.

nice write up bro...thanx for sharing it here..e70 was launched here last month if my memory serve me right...anyway the price tag means mere mortals like me would not be thinking about it for the next 3 years...:rolleyes:

Did the Susan G Komen Ultimate Drive thing...

DSC05437.jpg

Basically every mile you put on these special cars = $1 donation to the Susan G Komen breast cancer fund. A worthwhile cause.

Can't pass up to take out some beauties at your own pace and unsupervised now can we....

I had booked a 650i convertible and a 550i sedan for the afternoon.

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

This car rocks. My wife and I just enjoyed driving this around with the top down. Amazing! I love revving up the V8 engine and listening to it. Great straight line pull, I thought my E90 is more chuckable into the highway off ramps though.

I was accompanied by my friend in the E65 750i Sport. Ok we did fool around a little, let's just say there were some unruly DSC off moments :p

DSC05650.jpg

Last car I took out was the E60 550i....

Again, same engine different car. Well, most of us know how an E60 drives so I won't dwell further....

DSC05654.jpg

DSC05658.jpg

That concludes this evening's presentation, hope you all enjoyed it.

I have videos of the specific cars driven, but I haven't gotten around to tidying those up. I'll post up links as they are ready.

Also have some closeups of the E70, if you have any requests let me know.

All in all, a fun outing!

Oh I forgot to post my ranking...

1) BMW X5 4.8 Sport
2) Volvo XC90 V8 Sport
3) Mercedes-Benz ML500 Sport
4) Lexus GX470

These cars were chosen as they were deemed the closest competitor, pricewise and by market segment, to the E70. They didn't have too many answers when we asked them where the Porsche Cayenne S was though :p

With oil prices at USD70+ per barrel, it amazes me that big SUVs with BIG engines are still really hot in the US.

Americans just cant live without their V8's

E46Fanatic;231459 said:
With oil prices at USD70+ per barrel, it amazes me that big SUVs with BIG engines are still really hot in the US.

Americans just cant live without their V8's

There ain't no substitute for capacity...they'd say.

All is good as long as they don't pay road tax (on engine size).

Its unthinkable to be a player in the premium market without a V8. Acura/Honda is finding that out the hard way with their RL nee Legend.

On that note, 6 cylinder cars have come a long way and the hp differences between the 2 are fast disappearing. Case in point, the new V6 tune in the Lexus GS300 is actually more than the V8 Lexus GS430. Same case as in the Cadillac STS V6 and V8 variants.

Top Bottom