Just took the 325i home! Question 1: iDrive + iPod

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

NCH

Club Guest
Hi guys,I just took delivery of my 325i 3 hours ago. Been playing with iDrive since I got home and I found out something that's quite disappointing: the iDrive doesn't like my iPod :(I connected the 2nd generation iPod nano to the USB port under the arm rest using the white iPod/USB cable. The iPod says connected, iDrive displays says USB device not supported. I thought the USB port in the glove compartment is only for music transfer while the one under the arm rest can be used with iPod. This is taken from the Owner's Handbook:Apple iPod/iPhoneTo connect, use the special cable adapter for the Apple iPod/iPhone that is available from your Service Centre. The cable adapter is required for a fully functional connection.I found this on eBay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-IPOD-ADAPTER-CABLE-MINI-COOPER-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eac91d978QQitemZ200463735160QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideoCan someone confirm if that part is all I need for full iPod integration? I thought the audio interface would be just USB but that cable also have an AUX out ..Your feedback is very much appreciated.Thank you!

You need to purchase the cable or else your iDrive wont recognize your iPod.

Mac and BMW's way of 'taxing' you for device intergration.

With the cable you will have full control of your iPod from your multifunction steering...enjoy!

BTW, not the one from eBay but from BMW

kevster30;516190 said:
You need to purchase the cable or else your iDrive wont recognize your iPod.

Mac and BMW's way of 'taxing' you for device intergration.

With the cable you will have full control of your iPod from your multifunction steering...enjoy!

BTW, not the one from eBay but from BMW

Why won't the eBay ones work? They're OEM, with the chip.

kevster30;516206 said:
Can try, but no guarantees....made in Taiwan ler...

Just spoke to Quill's parts department. They have the real thing for RM 380.

I also found the same one on eBay UK .. about RM 210 shipped

RM 210 sounds not bad at all

the Taiwan "OEM" will cost about RM 80 but not guaranteed to work.

"if" buy rm 210 doesnt work, then pay again for rm 380, rm 590 for an ipod cable?

the RM210 one should work la .. i asked Quill what cable I need and they gave me the part number 61120440812

the one on ebay UK has the same part number.

you're right, if it doesn't work, means RM 590.

Real thing wont void warranty if anything goes wrong. Use third party product and should you have a problem, warranty claim will become an issue then you will say BMW sucks.

The differential sum or rm170 can't even buy 6 litres of oil for your engine. Think of it this way: the extra RM170 buys you customer service from Quill should the cable have any defects.

Don't fall for false economy

How about for an iPhone? Does it use the same cable too? If so then one cable will support 2 Apple devices.

3er;516277 said:
How about for an iPhone? Does it use the same cable too? If so then one cable will support 2 Apple devices.

i think the cable works for iphone too but i guess you can't use the 2 devices at the same time. I have my real music collection on the ipod so don't really care about iphone integration. But it's nice to have the ipod in action while the iphone is being charged under the arm rest. the AUX and USB for the iPod, cigarette lighter for charging the iphone. But you need a cigarette lighter to USB adapter.

I use this:

click for this ebay item

great product at such small price!

NCH;516210 said:
Just spoke to Quill's parts department. They have the real thing for RM 380.

I also found the same one on eBay UK .. about RM 210 shipped

RM 210 sounds not bad at all

the Taiwan "OEM" will cost about RM 80 but not guaranteed to work.

Bro......just an advice, buy the 380 one and u do not need to get a headache......I tried saving some $$, buying a cable from the Machines for less than 100.......worked but could not control via the steering buttons......ended up going to AB and got the real thing.......the rest was history.......

as long part number kolek then its fine i guess

but hor.. one thing la.. u can tahan the wait or not? i know i cant...
went to AB, ala stock, last pc, die die i buy immediately :p

Sorry for not supporting the local business, but I just bought it on eBay.

Price: £ 34.98 (inc. of 17.5% VAT)
Postage: £ 5.25
Total: £ 40.23

Seller will refund 17.5% VAT = £ 5.20

Final price would be £35 x 5.2 = RM 182 max

It's actually more troublesome for me to visit a dealer. I prefer to have it mailed to me.

But you know if the cable is faulty, I will not get any support from the local dealer.

Good luck to me!

NCH;516439 said:
Sorry for not supporting the local business, but I just bought it on eBay.

Price: £ 34.98 (inc. of 17.5% VAT)
Postage: £ 5.25
Total: £ 40.23

Seller will refund 17.5% VAT = £ 5.20

Final price would be £35 x 5.2 = RM 182 max

It's actually more troublesome for me to visit a dealer. I prefer to have it mailed to me.

But you know if the cable is faulty, I will not get any support from the local dealer.

Good luck to me!

nch, how the connectivity? any problems? i plan to purchase one too.. :4:

Top Bottom