JPJ to look into vehicles with TV screens -

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shiva73

Club Guest
Guys...Got this from www.staronline.com ; Another headache coming our way - BOLEHLAND officers is running out of fund and trying to impose some new law to suck some juice out of us. Watch out , they are coming . BUTTERWORTH: The Road Transport Department is looking into the possibility of amending the Road Transport Act to fine motorists who fix television screens and DVD players in their vehicles.State Road Transport Department (JPJ) director Datuk Hassan Yaacob said an amendment could be made under Section 66 of the Road Transport Act 1987 for making vehicle alterations without permission.“It is illegal and dangerous to fix these accessories. A driver can easily get distracted and it may result in accidents,’’ he said.Hassan said enforcement teams would check if vehicles had complied with approved specifications.“Those with xenon headlights will be fined RM300 while vehicles with fancy number plates will be fined RM120.“In the end, they waste money by paying thrice – fixing the parts, paying the fine and paying again to remove them,” he said.Hassan was commenting on the increasing number of motorists fixing televisions and DVD player sets in their vehicles.On vehicles that are factory fitted with DVD players and GPS navigators, he said the department would have to look into it.

JPJ should stop looking into vehicles with TV screens and get their own bloody TVs!

JPJ should look for car that have engine.

shit, my car got gps, dvd player, tv, movie player, usb, cd player, pdf reader, picture viewer, radio, games.. does that means multiple fine.

and i dont use them much..

sheer nonsense...I think this will not work as more than 40% of cars has dvd player installed

dun worry la...want to amend act will never happen. too much work involved. what will happen is u pay some nice kopi money at the roadblocks. hahaha. or risk sita to jpj yard

this guy just promoted as DG of RTD ka..? sigh... another civil servant wanting to create an impression without giving much thought to what he's saying. might as well outlaw all manner of ICE too - Hotel California & Sweet Child of Mine have been known to cause accidents. how do these poeple get promoted anyway??

Although the law ammendment will take some time , i think the officers will not want to wait longer - sure want fast money liau. BTW , i dont think they have the right to saman the factory fitted xenons and TV's. The law is ammended today and dont expect me to dismantle anything that was originally fitted few years ago . Who wana bear the cost . I will say , saman la.. i will see you in court.

U know what , just because the wiralution and wajalution sparkling lights, the boms is finally landing on our bay . Wonder where the officers get all sort of funny ideas.

In short if the goverment fund is found getting lesser, all they need to do is come out with one stupid idea so that they can fill it up again . I also dont deny that some new smart pant wana show up upon promotion.

from what I know, they already have a law on xenon headlamps.. but what they meant was, after market xenon headlamps. but to them, xenon headlamps means; HID bulbs in a reflector lamp. thus those with projector lamps are exempted.

well that was what i saw in their website the last time i checked.

A bit of free legal advice for all my UDM brothers here.

On the issue of Xenon headlamps:

Rule 96 (2)(i) of the Road Transport Act explicitly states that a conversion from standard halogen lighting system to xenon HID lights is allowed only with the provision that the entire lighting system conforms to specifications provided for in UNECE Rules 48, 98 and 99 and is installed accordingly. An additional directive by the RTD specifies that the conversion must be done by persons/companies with Sirim accreditation.

What this essentially means is that no modification to the car's lighting and signalling system is permitted under the law unless the modification involves retrofitting the entire factory-fit SYSTEM, and not just swapping of halogen bulbs for Xenons. So for those whose cars were not equipped with Xenon lights from the factory, modifying the car with aftermarket Xenon kits remains illegal under Malaysian law. No amendments are actually required to enforce JPJ's "No Xenon" policy.

However, for those whose cars have standard-fit Xenons from the factory, you're in the clear as Malaysia is a signatory to the World Forum for Harmonisation of Motor Vehicle Regulations. These rules apply UNECE Rules 48, 98 and 99 which allows the use of factory-fit Xenon headlamps SUBJECT TO the presence of Auto-Levelling (to prevent Xenons from blinding oncoming traffic) and, in some countries, compulsory fitment of headlamp washers to reduce light scatter from dirty headlamp covers (this is why all UK imports with standard Xenons have both self levelling headlamps AND headlight washers)

On the fitment of TV/DVD players in the car:

Section 66 of the Road Transport Act already provides broad powers to the RTD to take action against modifications done to cars. Sec 66(1)(i) in particular makes it an offence for any driver to install or use any appliance or accessory which are likely to cause danger whilst the vehicle is being driven.

Clearly, a DVD player or a TV set that a driver may be able to watch while he is operating the vehicle falls into this category of risk. This is why BMW's from the factory, even when fitted with the TV Tuner, will shut off the TV automatically once the car starts to move. On Jaguars and Land Rovers, their patented "Parallax Barrier" screen will display the TV image only to the passenger side of the car, while the driver will only see Radio/Climate Control/Navigation controls on the same screen.

This is also why the Proton Exora's DVD player is mounted on the roof, facing only the rear passengers - this disallows the driver from looking at the screen while he is in the driver's seat. This rule is also the reason behind the fact that most factory-fitted GPS Navigation systems will not allow you to change the route being navigated until you come to a complete stop.

So lesson of the day is this - if the RTD wants to clamp down on the fitment of after-market Xenon headlamps and DVD players, they can. The laws are already in place.

So Im in the clear then, have Xenons with Auto Levelling and headlamp washers. Already disabled my TV Lock though! :4:

Just turn off your TV Tuner when you come to a roadblock lah, Haywire! lol

I shake head reading some of ur comments... It is indeed dangerous when the TV screen is viewable by the driver while driving.... We already have so many blur sotong drivers born thru archaic driving syllabus, somemore want to let them driving while watching TV on the move? As mentioned, even BMW's built-in LCD screen would be disabled when car is moving...

But whatever the case, the regulation shud be clear cut to eliminate grey area which can be abused by those 'duit kopi' enforcers...

I dont watch tv while driving, its the wife who wont miss her tv series while in the car in the passenger seat. and that only happens once or twice a month.

I think i still fall within the safe zone as my TV is not unlocked yet.

Bro Haywire , boleh tolong unlock tak :p

rpmnut;604111 said:
A bit of free legal advice for all my UDM brothers here.

On the issue of Xenon headlamps:

Rule 96 (2)(i) of the Road Transport Act explicitly states that a conversion from standard halogen lighting system to xenon HID lights is allowed only with the provision that the entire lighting system conforms to specifications provided for in UNECE Rules 48, 98 and 99 and is installed accordingly. An additional directive by the RTD specifies that the conversion must be done by persons/companies with Sirim accreditation.

What this essentially means is that no modification to the car's lighting and signalling system is permitted under the law unless the modification involves retrofitting the entire factory-fit SYSTEM, and not just swapping of halogen bulbs for Xenons. So for those whose cars were not equipped with Xenon lights from the factory, modifying the car with aftermarket Xenon kits remains illegal under Malaysian law. No amendments are actually required to enforce JPJ's "No Xenon" policy.

However, for those whose cars have standard-fit Xenons from the factory, you're in the clear as Malaysia is a signatory to the World Forum for Harmonisation of Motor Vehicle Regulations. These rules apply UNECE Rules 48, 98 and 99 which allows the use of factory-fit Xenon headlamps SUBJECT TO the presence of Auto-Levelling (to prevent Xenons from blinding oncoming traffic) and, in some countries, compulsory fitment of headlamp washers to reduce light scatter from dirty headlamp covers (this is why all UK imports with standard Xenons have both self levelling headlamps AND headlight washers)

On the fitment of TV/DVD players in the car:

Section 66 of the Road Transport Act already provides broad powers to the RTD to take action against modifications done to cars. Sec 66(1)(i) in particular makes it an offence for any driver to install or use any appliance or accessory which are likely to cause danger whilst the vehicle is being driven.

Clearly, a DVD player or a TV set that a driver may be able to watch while he is operating the vehicle falls into this category of risk. This is why BMW's from the factory, even when fitted with the TV Tuner, will shut off the TV automatically once the car starts to move. On Jaguars and Land Rovers, their patented "Parallax Barrier" screen will display the TV image only to the passenger side of the car, while the driver will only see Radio/Climate Control/Navigation controls on the same screen.

This is also why the Proton Exora's DVD player is mounted on the roof, facing only the rear passengers - this disallows the driver from looking at the screen while he is in the driver's seat. This rule is also the reason behind the fact that most factory-fitted GPS Navigation systems will not allow you to change the route being navigated until you come to a complete stop.

So lesson of the day is this - if the RTD wants to clamp down on the fitment of after-market Xenon headlamps and DVD players, they can. The laws are already in place.

thank you, and now is the moment for me to say "jangan cepat sangat melatah"

Will this move reduce accident cases and statistics on our road? Make it safer to drive?

geez, they are confusing the hell of out of us rakyat. If its a matter of enforcement of existing rules, SAY SO la... I bet they dont even know what they are talking about. BTW, dont they know how many datuks and datins are out there with their retrofitted tvs and what nots in their MPVs ar... Susah lah...

Coming up next will be those GPS and iphone screens..... whatever they will think of next! Sheeesh! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom