Issue on Electronic Power Steering - EPS (F10 - 520d)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

RMAT

Club Guest
Hi Seniors,I have an issue on the EPS and currently my car running about 1000 km. even though the car is solid & powerful but I feel hard to handle and the steering seems very tight like driving the formula 1 racing car in which I have to hold tight the steering especially when negotiating the S corner.I'm thinking supposedly the steering should be responsive, light and easy to manoeuvre but this not happen to my car. I believe most of the car after negotiating the corner the steering easy to turn back. Already address this issue to SA & yesterday morning the SC test drive & he confirm the faulty due to steering rack. My questions:a) Is there other owners f10 520d facing the same problem?, Is this the main root cause or there is other possibilities? Please share...b) How long the SC can rectify the issue?, if there is a need to change the steering rack, does that involve in dismantle the dashboard ? I don't know where they order the part either from BMW Malaysia or direct from Germany.Indeed needs feedback from seniors. Feel headache.... Coz this weekend balik kampung in K. Terengganu... can't imagine there will be so many S corner, lost my sheer driving pleasure.Thanks a lotRahmat

t2ribena;758359 said:
what is your previous car before this?

My previous ride Accord and Camry 2.4 - 2008, also driving my friend Passat, no issue...thanks.

ok all front wheel drive and now u have rear wheel drive....its not a problem just different thing altogether...

t2ribena;758383 said:
ok all front wheel drive and now u have rear wheel drive....its not a problem just different thing altogether...

SC already confirm steering rack rosak lar.. :4:

its call problem distraction....practice by most SC...haha

im refering only to the portion on the steering does not return to center which is common on rwd car...but as think and type on my mobile its seems to be some loss of comm between my brain and fingers...sorry my bad

if steering too heavy means the power assist part should be faulty...

astroboy;758385 said:
SC already confirm steering rack rosak lar.. :4:

t2ribena;758387 said:
.. steering does not return to center which is common on rwd car....

Want to try my Avanza? :p Ops.. sorry, that's not a car.. :4:

F30 also on EPS, one owner commented it rempits much better on the corners of Karak mountain pass than his Mini. But F30 no 4-wheel steering lar.

check ur caster settings on ur Avanza...then compare to ur e90

QUOTE=astroboy;758391]Want to try my Avanza? :p Ops.. sorry, that's not a car.. :4:

F30 also on EPS, one owner commented it rempits much better on the corners of Karak mountain pass than his Mini. But F30 no 4-wheel steering lar.[/QUOTE]

no F10 EPS steering is very very light. compare to previous e60. even my previous e60 at low speed is super light ( active steering ) , but f10 a little bit numb.
so its extremely light.

RMAT;758352 said:
Hi Seniors,

I have an issue on the EPS and currently my car running about 1000 km. even though the car is solid & powerful but I feel hard to handle and the steering seems very tight like driving the formula 1 racing car in which I have to hold tight the steering especially when negotiating the S corner.

I'm thinking supposedly the steering should be responsive, light and easy to manoeuvre but this not happen to my car. I believe most of the car after negotiating the corner the steering easy to turn back. Already address this issue to SA & yesterday morning the SC test drive & he confirm the faulty due to steering rack. My questions:

a) Is there other owners f10 520d facing the same problem?, Is this the main root cause or there is other possibilities? Please share...

b) How long the SC can rectify the issue?, if there is a need to change the steering rack, does that involve in dismantle the dashboard ? I don't know where they order the part either from BMW Malaysia or direct from Germany.

Indeed needs feedback from seniors. Feel headache.... Coz this weekend balik kampung in K. Terengganu... can't
imagine there will be so many S corner, lost my sheer driving pleasure.

Thanks a lot

Rahmat

F10 I test before, okay lar. I think F30 steering lighter. Best is still my E90 320i. No active steering, a lot of feel.. :top:

what feel? :p

astroboy;758470 said:
F10 I test before, okay lar. I think F30 steering lighter. Best is still my E90 320i. No active steering, a lot of feel.. :top:

t2ribena / astroboy / dark1234.

Yes... my steering is quite heavy, now my hand become power assist. I don't dare to speed above 110 km at corner but sometime there is people try to cucuk me... So what to do... then come my split personality...Lewis Hamilton.

By the way, is the changing of steering rack can cause in dismantling the dashboard.

Thanks Guys

ehmm, f10 520d has no active steering lah... I do feel that in sport and sport plus the steering is on the heavy side though...

Actice steering that fed on green color hydraulic fluid code name CHF11s is a thing of the past. The newer generation BMW now uses variable whatever steering system and it‘s electric so it no longer burden the engine. I wonder how many watts of electricity it consume.. :4:

Steering rack no need remove dashboard lar. steering column maybe..

astroboy;758525 said:
Actice steering that fed on green color hydraulic fluid code name CHF11s is a thing of the past. The newer generation BMW now uses variable whatever steering system and it‘s electric so it no longer burden the engine. I wonder how many watts of electricity it consume.. :4:

Steering rack no need remove dashboard lar. steering column maybe..

Thanks for the info, still waiting other owners of f10 520d buying from AB, Quill, did anyone of them also having the same issue. Mine from Ingress.

Thanks

i think all bmw come from bmw regardless quil , ingress or ab . to answer your question No my F10 520d is ok

AB JB had to change my 520d steering rack in Dec 2011 due to error in programming and the steering became heavy. Its happened after they had replaced the I-drive controller which had malfunction illumination light.

Took them about 1 month to replace the rack due to holiday season, warranty approval from BMW M'sia and part arrival from German as told by the SA (as far as i know BMW regional part center is in PTP Johor:hmmmm:). Nevertheless, they did gave me a courtesy car an X1 diesel to went back to KL which I replaced it with E90 320d at Glenmarie:top:.

Bro, I'm suggesting you send your car to Ingress for steering rack replacement asap since it might take some time to replace it and do ask for a courtesy car.:wink:

Attached is the steering rack photo which was replaced. No dashboard removal involved in the process.

Selamat Berpuasa

Cheers

dark1234;758811 said:
i think all bmw come from bmw regardless quil , ingress or ab . to answer your question No my F10 520d is ok

It's mean...very rare had this problem...will follow up SA when the parts arrive. Thanks bro.

Top Bottom