is vs m20

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i got a bit more specific points to say about this thread; but not worth it with all the serial rapists lurking. can't remain objective and realistic without getting emotional, personal and overly protective. instead, here's some general remarks.

so, is or M20? sigh.. if you have to ask you obviously don't know what you want. thanks for spurring the academic debate though; most insightful. personal take, neither M42 orr M20/50 fratenity is wrong. you just have to know what you want.

my pants are down and buttcheeks spread. go ahead.

fabianyee;533022 said:
My 4 pot is running M50 5 speed Getrag 250 gearbox.. the 6 speed gearbox, technically, can go in too.. problem is sourcing the long shaft...

hahaha, you couldn't resist it........:cool:
something else to ponder, the box is 17kg heavier than the 5 speed, dualmass flywheel is 5.8kg heavier than the 5 speed, and it's 6.85 inches longer than the 5 speed - and there goes your secret to look for the longshaft9 or just cut it like others the other guy did )

so will the 4 pot have enuff grunt and torque to spin the gearbox.....??

am waitiiiiinngggg.......hehehehe

fabianyee;497779 said:
original E30 318is is almost non-existent here... However there are some E30 318i converted to 318is..

Which one better to use? Well, depends what you're looking for. Both have its own merits and shortfalls. Even in the US, there are 2 camps on 318is vs 325i.

Personally, having driven a converted E30 318is for the past 6 years, i have only good things to say.. It's basically a pump-petrol-and-go car for me. It's my daily drive, took it up north and down south numerous times. At least 20 track days. Engine have been able to withstand my abuse throughout... No major breakdown apart from the normal wear and tear parts replacement.

Couldn't agree more. Reliability of 318is is better. Seen it,drove it and loving it.

fabianyee;532882 said:
oh btw, the E30 318is has given other newer, more powerful cars a run for their money in SIC.. Neck to neck with the Polo GTi 1.8 turbo. And also E36 328i manual..

In this particular take....come la,Its down to driver not the car. heheee...:rock::smokin: I think its the "OTHER" driver tat driving the 328i Manual.:cool:
How many laps you wanna play...?Should be fun talking over BKT session at 14thMile Puchong. Nescafe Ping on me.

Eh Fab...I think you and me go shoot out this coming HPC,then we know in Malaysia who's the gamer here. Mine is M20 and ur is M42. I got two video recorder,come come we fix onto our cars and play play. We ask permission for M20 and M42 shoot out.。。Just for fun. I know in long runs you will win. *wink* Lets hope it sunny....if raining I die.

Talk kok driver ( pun intended) to he who claim drove this and drive that. I willing to shake the faster car and driver's hand. I no kiasu wan.

yeeeehaaaa!

Zoggee;533066 said:
Eh Fab...I think you and me go shoot out this coming HPC,then we know in Malaysia who's the gamer here. Mine is M20 and ur is M42. I got two video recorder,come come we fix onto our cars and play play. We ask permission for M20 and M42 shoot out.。。Just for fun. I know in long runs you will win. *wink* Lets hope it sunny....if raining I die.

Talk kok driver ( pun intended) to he who claim drove this and drive that. I willing to shake the faster car and driver's hand. I no kiasu wan.

yeeeehaaaa!

yeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaa, let's do it ......!!!

Getting back on track in line with the original discussion, how hard is it to source for the M42 engine?
I've done a little reading and if I'm not wrong, the e36 318 don't all come with M42 does it?
What are the associated cost of implanting an M42 engine into an e30 then?
Thanks in advance!:top:

2wenty6;533113 said:
Getting back on track in line with the original discussion, how hard is it to source for the M42 engine?
I've done a little reading and if I'm not wrong, the e36 318 don't all come with M42 does it?
What are the associated cost of implanting an M42 engine into an e30 then?
Thanks in advance!:top:

Not easy to source for M42 half cut nowdays. Most half cut shops bring in the 328 and 325 more. less on M42. Price, expect to pay from 6k to 8k.

Zoggee;533065 said:
In this particular take....come la,Its down to driver not the car. heheee...:rock::smokin: I think its the "OTHER" driver tat driving the 328i Manual.:cool:
How many laps you wanna play...?Should be fun talking over BKT session at 14thMile Puchong. Nescafe Ping on me.

This is the certain white 328i, not the yellow one... :p

Zoggee;533066 said:

yeeeehaaaa!

Come lah, sked ah?? hahaha

kevster30;533000 said:
Like Pirelli said: POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL

That must be your motto also.
Seeing your M42 do battle with the JCW up Frasier's was really an eye opener :top:

elwine30;533137 said:
Not easy to source for M42 half cut nowdays. Most half cut shops bring in the 328 and 325 more. less on M42. Price, expect to pay from 6k to 8k.

Thank you for the reply :)

6-8k inclusive of installation? I'm doing some research in preparation of my acquisition of an e30 in the near future.

some M42 vs M20 youtube video:
[video=youtube;6c5jcJue-Yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c5jcJue-Yc[/video]

Have fun watching.

just stumbled across this thread.

So is the M42 versus M20 versus M50 race on for the 25th July 2010?

all those who wants walk the talk - please register for the HPC/ZTH Time Trials....and forever cast ur name in the Hall of Glory or Shame!

register on www.hpcmotorsports.com

final words......come lar, SKED ah?

sorry, out of topic but then again - u can decide which engine is better for u....

This thread getting jumble up by the minute.
Now i wonder, who's challenging who and when?
Its utter vague yet provocative kekekek

Jules;533208 said:
just stumbled across this thread.

So is the M42 versus M20 versus M50 race on for the 25th July 2010?

all those who wants walk the talk - please register for the HPC/ZTH Time Trials....and forever cast ur name in the Hall of Glory or Shame!

register on www.hpcmotorsports.com

final words......come lar, SKED ah?

sorry, out of topic but then again - u can decide which engine is better for u....

ah ha.......HPC saleman has joined the gang bang.........:rock:

hopefully there will be a video of this coz i cant witness it myself...viva la M42!!!!

Top Bottom