Is it safe to use Ron97 on E39 ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

transporter

Club Guest
to all the bros,i have read the bmw manual and it says to use Ron98 petrol whenever possible. but our brilliant goverment discontinued Ron98 petrol recently..so now was wondering if it safe to use Ron97 rating petrol ? or is it not worth the extra and i should just stick to Ron95 ?by the way, i am not sure which type of petrol the previous owner use, would it be harmful if i make a switch? (from Ron95 Ron97) vice versa..thanks again guys :top:

In Penang, there is only one Shell station with V-Power.....the one on the Jelutong Expressway.

Transporter, I think your understanding needs to be slightly adjusted > Govn didn't discontinue RON98, never officially had RON98 in MY.
Now, RON95 was recently launched only. Probably previous owner was using RON92. Suggest you change your fuel filter.

My suggestion to you now is don't use current RON97. Fill up VPOWER all the way because it is the safest bet these days for our loved E39. Not worth between RON95 & RON97 but definitely worth using VPOWER.

e39 can use from RON91 to RON98.

its written on the note at your fueling cap.

i have been using RON95 and RON97 with no issues.

jaleeks23;475126 said:
Transporter, I think your understanding needs to be slightly adjusted > Govn didn't discontinue RON98, never officially had RON98 in MY.
Now, RON95 was recently launched only. Probably previous owner was using RON92. Suggest you change your fuel filter.

My suggestion to you now is don't use current RON97. Fill up VPOWER all the way because it is the safest bet these days for our loved E39. Not worth between RON95 & RON97 but definitely worth using VPOWER.

oops sorry my bad.. :rolleyes: may i knw why is vee-power better? isnt vpower has the same ron97 ?

a lot discussed in other threads....try it to feel it, once felt, never look back, just like the E39.

Ennui78;475122 said:
In Penang, there is only one Shell station with V-Power.....the one on the Jelutong Expressway.

U also can get V Power at Shell BJ roundabout..

....using ron95 since launch so can save for mods....for me 95 & Vpower no difference at all...Placebo effect only...but maybe use vpower will improve my reverse parking...:rolleyes:

After a couple of months, I could feel the difference between RON 95 and 97.

The only downside for RON97 is its not Euro 2 compliant, meaning more sulphur and contaminates your engine oil quicker.

ALBundy;475205 said:
After a couple of months, I could feel the difference between RON 95 and 97.

The only downside for RON97 is its not Euro 2 compliant, meaning more sulphur and contaminates your engine oil quicker.

did you notice any substantial performance difference..?

XXX;475197 said:
....using ron95 since launch so can save for mods....for me 95 & Vpower no difference at all...Placebo effect only...but maybe use vpower will improve my reverse parking...:rolleyes:

Placebo effect only ...... I like your statement ... it is the Driver, not car or fuel ....
as advise by you, I try to mix 'minyak tanah' and petrol to save cost :stupid: .... Boleh jalan jugak ....... can rempit summore. Spedometer pusing 2 kali woooi ...:top:

JYazid;475246 said:
Placebo effect only ...... I like your statement ... it is the Driver, not car or fuel ....
as advise by you, I try to mix 'minyak tanah' and petrol to save cost :stupid: .... Boleh jalan jugak ....... can rempit summore. Spedometer pusing 2 kali woooi ...:top:

dah masuk bab minyak tanah ni mesti kes overrdose sirap limau :rolleyes:

I've tried 3 or 4 tanks of ron 95 for both E46 & E39. It sucks no power & high FC. After switch back to ron 97 evrything back to normal except bigger holes in pocket:stupid:

initialM;475265 said:
I've tried 3 or 4 tanks of ron 95 for both E46 & E39. It sucks no power & high FC. After switch back to ron 97 evrything back to normal except bigger holes in pocket:stupid:

so u mean Ron97 save more fuel ??

The selection of octane ratings available at the pump can vary greatly from region to region.

Australia, "regular" unleaded fuel is 91 RON, "premium" unleaded with 95 RON is widely available, and 98 RON fuel is also reasonably common. Shell used to sell 100 RON petrol from a small number of service stations, most of which are located in capital cities (stopped in August 2008).
Germany, big suppliers like Shell or Aral offer 100 RON gasoline (Shell V-Power, Aral Ultimate) at almost every fuel station.
Italy, 95 RON is the regular gasoline offered (verde), and most fuel stations offer 98 RON as the premium type (Super/Blu Super), many Shell stations close to the cities offer also V-Power Gasoline rated at 100 RON
Malaysia, the "regular" unleaded fuel is 95 RON, "premium" fuel is rated at 97 RON, and Shell's V-Power at 98 RON.
Netherlands, Shell V-Power is a 97 RON (labelled as 95 due to the legalities of only using 95 or 98 labelling), whereas in neighbouring Germany Shell V-Power consists of the regular 100 RON fuel.
Ireland, 95 RON is the only petrol type available through stations.
Russia and CIS countries, 80 RON (76 MON) is the minimum available, the standard is 92 RON, however, the most used type is 95 RON.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Top Bottom