INFO: Sharing an experience that has left me rather disappointed with a workshop

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ssmann

Club Guest
My 7er braders,Just to let you know, a very famous workshop in the Klang Valley area, which I recommended a friend who bought an E38 to visit, sent in his car for thorough check up. Spent 6k all in, genuine work was done. BMW business Player and instrument cluster were working when car was sent in. When it came out after 3 days all these were kapoot. Friend furious and I called the boss up, because the supervisor basically told me to get f'd when I asked him to check the issue. Long story short, boss denied anything and said the player/cluster was not working went the car came in!!! He did not even bother to offer a check up of the system and said not to bring the car in as he has too many cars to handle at present!!! Excuse me, I sent the car there myself after driving it for 2 days and every single bit worked!!!!Fed up of the crap and knowing that my fren and I had been f'd, sent car to my most trusted mechanic who after every other trick which failed including transplanting working ECU, player, cluster etc into the car (i.e donor from my car into my friends car)...decided to open each and every wire. If u have seen the electrics and wiring on an E38, u would know what a nightmare this is!!! After almost 10 days of working on the car, he discovered a wire was "switched" and taped off!!! This caused all sorts of electrical dramas. The issue is still being rectified now, as finding a UK model instrument cluster with external ECU half cut wiring is not at all easy. What was the motive I have no clue, but 101% it happened in that workshop where I recommended my friend to go to and he spent 6k on genuine repairs. Simple lesson learnt, even if you have to drive miles, only trust the person who you gel and kam-cheng with. Anyone else, will screw you, even when they call you a friend outside.All the best with mechanics, can't live with em nor without em. Tq

Bro, i think most of us like to know which workshop is that who dare to screw u.

Thanks for sharing Serjit.

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Goes to show just how even the people we start to build relationships with may end up disappointing us someday, inadvertently, or obviously...

Hope the problem can be rectified soon.

Guess that particular mechanic has lost a good friend and valuable customer.

This is a betrayal...sorry to hear your story Serjit...

bmw7833;673427 said:
Bro, i think most of us like to know which workshop is that who dare to screw u.

Bro, once I gather all the evidence needed, I will name and shame. I also heard this same workshop did a number on an E36 M3 coupe Estoril Blue which complained off a clutch issue....no 1st hand knowledge on ths, but heard it through the rumour mill

docrayboy;673432 said:
Sorry bro to hear....

Thanks Doc, worst part is not my car but a friends car who sent it there on my recommendation as his house was nearbye

Eggie86;673437 said:
Thanks for sharing Serjit.

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Goes to show just how even the people we start to build relationships with may end up disappointing us someday, inadvertently, or obviously...

Hope the problem can be rectified soon.

Guess that particular mechanic has lost a good friend and valuable customer.

Thanks Eggie. Well it takes all kinds in this world. Learnt my lesson and that be the last ever recommendation I make to anyone so far as mechanics go....

JFT63;673440 said:
This is a betrayal...sorry to hear your story Serjit...

Thanks bang! What to do, there are many sinners in this world who committ inconvenience to others for the sake of a few bucks...sad but true

what do you mean the wire was 'switched' bro? did they take a wire from the car and replaced with a dummy one?

mizhan;673507 said:
what do you mean the wire was 'switched' bro? did they take a wire from the car and replaced with a dummy one?

From what I gather, there are wires that go from the instrument cluster to the player to allow OBC functionality as well as connect steering whell functionality. What was done was that 2 wires were switched between each other causing these 4 distinct issues;

1. Signal lights on cluster do not work
2. ABS sign does not work
3. Auto cruise does not work
4. Player does not function at all

When my mechanic discovered this and tried switching the wires around, the ABS light comes on.....so now he is working through the rest.

What puzzles me is that I don't understand the modus operandi.....hmmmmm

thread subscribed for the lattest update ..... guessing from the e36 estorial listed above..ummmmm

that doesn't make sense bro.. there must have been a reason. either to curi something, or to conceal a boo boo they did.

ssmann;673425 said:
My 7er braders,

Just to let you know, a very famous workshop in the Klang Valley area, which I recommended a friend who bought an E38 to visit, sent in his car for thorough check up. Spent 6k all in, genuine work was done. BMW business Player and instrument cluster were working when car was sent in. When it came out after 3 days all these were kapoot. Friend furious and I called the boss up, because the supervisor basically told me to get f'd when I asked him to check the issue. Long story short, boss denied anything and said the player/cluster was not working went the car came in!!! He did not even bother to offer a check up of the system and said not to bring the car in as he has too many cars to handle at present!!! Excuse me, I sent the car there myself after driving it for 2 days and every single bit worked!!!!

Fed up of the crap and knowing that my fren and I had been f'd, sent car to my most trusted mechanic who after every other trick which failed including transplanting working ECU, player, cluster etc into the car (i.e donor from my car into my friends car)...decided to open each and every wire. If u have seen the electrics and wiring on an E38, u would know what a nightmare this is!!! After almost 10 days of working on the car, he discovered a wire was "switched" and taped off!!! This caused all sorts of electrical dramas. The issue is still being rectified now, as finding a UK model instrument cluster with external ECU half cut wiring is not at all easy. What was the motive I have no clue, but 101% it happened in that workshop where I recommended my friend to go to and he spent 6k on genuine repairs. Simple lesson learnt, even if you have to drive miles, only trust the person who you gel and kam-cheng with. Anyone else, will screw you, even when they call you a friend outside.

All the best with mechanics, can't live with em nor without em. Tq

What's the name of this "infamous" workshop bro and which location of Klang Valley?

mizhan;673557 said:
that doesn't make sense bro.. there must have been a reason. either to curi something, or to conceal a boo boo they did.

I also kepala pusing la bro...I dunno if intention was to curi wire, conceal booboo or extort money for a cheap fix @ high price....

What I feel bad about is that it is not my car and my fren trusted me only to be without his car for almost 3 weeks now....where to put my face la bro....lagi pun bukan aku hensem sangat!! Hahahhahaha

dzuljazz2001;673560 said:
What's the name of this "infamous" workshop bro and which location of Klang Valley?

Datuk, once I confirm with certainty and all evidence gathered, I will first approach owner of workshop. He remedy the situation with my fren, I bury this thread. He does not, I will buat 'Expose Mistik'....hang ten

ssmann;673570 said:
What I feel bad about is that it is not my car and my fren trusted me only to be without his car for almost 3 weeks now....where to put my face la bro....lagi pun bukan aku hensem sangat!! Hahahhahaha

nothing a Royal Salute won't cure.. :wink:

ssmann;673570 said:
I also kepala pusing la bro...I dunno if intention was to curi wire, conceal booboo or extort money for a cheap fix @ high price....

bro ssman ..why did you send to a workshop where you aren't sure about it's work and what made you to not send it to your ever trusted mechanic ??

you paid the 6K of work already or ya friend ??

ICEMAN 13;673588 said:
bro ssman ..why did you send to a workshop where you aren't sure about it's work and what made you to not send it to your ever trusted mechanic ??

you paid the 6K of work already or ya friend ??

Phai, I did not pay, my fren did. The work for the 6k definitely genuine and known repairs, no issue. Workshop is a very well known and reputable place la...close to hsd home

ssmann;673618 said:
Phai, I did not pay, my fren did. The work for the 6k definitely genuine and known repairs, no issue. Workshop is a very well known and reputable place la...close to hsd home

ohh hope, you get your friends car sorted out soon ....must be another trick to get the car back there and another new bill ....hope your friend will not give up owning this car as even the 1st repair also had created lotsa saga ....

ahh the ROYAL SALUTE ..when ??

Did I hear Royal salute?? hahaha
Btw, did the 6k job involve any wiring to be dismantled from the cluster or radio unit? or did it invove removing any of these units?

Top Bottom