Idling Problems.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yip

Club Guest
Dear All, Appreciate it if you guys can give some ideas/experience/suggestions on this problem im facing. When my car is idling with the gear in D, its fine. But when i put it in N ( never tried P yet ) the RPM will drop and the engine will 'die'. I think the problem is the idling ( air flow sensor ). But i might be wrong. Anybody faced this problem before ? If it is the air flow sensor, how much would it cost ? Thanks all. Appreciate your help....

Pls check

1.Any leakage hoses
2.MAF or AFM
3.ICV
4.Cam sensor

for d cost ......u need to mention ur car model and engine model...

gud luck

yip;398370 said:
Dear All, Appreciate it if you guys can give some ideas/experience/suggestions on this problem im facing.

When my car is idling with the gear in D, its fine. But when i put it in N ( never tried P yet ) the RPM will drop and the engine will 'die'.

I think the problem is the idling ( air flow sensor ). But i might be wrong. Anybody faced this problem before ?

If it is the air flow sensor, how much would it cost ?

Thanks all. Appreciate your help....
if you are referring to MAF, if i remember correctly, its around 700-800 for 1.9L & 1100 for 2.0L

Or it could be your idle control valve ... What year and model of E46 you have bro?

Mouse;398384 said:
if you are referring to MAF, if i remember correctly, its around 700-800 for 1.9L & 1100 for 2.0L

price much higher then tat for brand new ....

Lionel_Koh;398381 said:
Pls check

1.Any leakage hoses
2.MAF or AFM
3.ICV
4.Cam sensor

gud luck

Please do as what bro lionel said ... for parts number and cost get your last 7 digits VIN number and input it into www.realoem.com ... get the parts number and called stuggart or bav auto or any other bmw parts dealer for pricing.

i had a somewhat similar problem previously. car was driving fine when i parked it. when i started car the next day, idling was unstable but could still run. the engine died at the first traffic light. thenafter totally cannot idle. engine dies as soon as I lift foot from accelerator. it just couldn't freaking idle whether P or N. funny thing is it cured itself after having pushed the car and lepak roadside for more than an hour waiting for mechanic and trying like 20 times. idle was perfectly normal after that. when got back to KL, mechanic said it was caused by sticking idle control valve. seems quite common for e46. so changed that useless pos. so, was yours able to idle in P? must be else you'd experience the same shit I did.

Lionel_Koh;398381 said:
Pls check

1.Any leakage hoses
2.MAF or AFM
3.ICV
4.Cam sensor

gud luck

bro, E46 use MAF. AFM is for older generation like e36.

erica34;398407 said:
i had a somewhat similar problem previously. car was driving fine when i parked it. when i started car the next day, idling was unstable but could still run. the engine died at the first traffic light. thenafter totally cannot idle. engine dies as soon as I lift foot from accelerator. it just couldn't freaking idle whether P or N. funny thing is it cured itself after having pushed the car and lepak roadside for more than an hour waiting for mechanic and trying like 20 times. idle was perfectly normal after that. when got back to KL, mechanic said it was caused by sticking idle control valve. seems quite common for e46. so changed that useless pos. so, was yours able to idle in P? must be else you'd experience the same shit I did.

Hey erica,

Thanks, my car can idle. But only died once so far in N. In D its perfectly fine.

jarance;398533 said:
bro, E46 use MAF. AFM is for older generation like e36.

I mentioned either one cos d thread owner not stated wat model is his/her ride ......

Cheers ....

Hey all,

Finally sorted the problem by changing the cam intake and exhaust sensor. It is quite weird, although some people say its normal. I first changed the exhaust cam sensor because the DIS machine says so. Then the problem was fixed for 1 day before it happened again. Went back to check and now it says the intake cam sensor is faulty. Changed that and its fine now. Hopefully for long... Thank you guys for your help.

Cost of both sensors was RM 310 each so total cost came to RM 700 including installation twice.

Yip

Top Bottom