how to make sure that 335i is with DCT but not tiptronic?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Woohhh DY! :playingball:
- 4.8s with which GB?
- What rocket fuel are you using and where d'you get it? :D

E46Fanatic;518312 said:
The S-tronic is still faster than the manual version from a 0-100 run. Auto slush box in the 335i is much better than the regular E90, but still slower than the stick. From an efficient dynamics point of view BMW should be standardizing on DCTs for the entire model range. Their cars will be so much more fun to drive then..

Here is the comparo of the performance of the 335i mated with different gearbox options:

335i Performance specs
0-62 mph MT6 = 5.5 sec
0-62 mph AT = 5.7
0-62 mph DCT = 5.4

wow..i didnt know the slush box is that fast...only 0.2 second slower than the manual:rock:...

thats less than a blink of an eye...and to take this to the street like every one in any car forum did...almost no difference in term of performance

Schwepps;517811 said:
Why is it absolutely wrong, kevster? It seems to be a correct statement that a DCT is an auto gearbox and not an SMG/SSG.

Shiftronic uses a torque convertor....like all automatics

DCT uses a dual clutch system.....it is a manual gearbox that is operated via a computer, it does not have a torque converter

The DCT could be decribed as a manual gearbox that shifts automatically.

The shiftronic is an auto that allows manual shifting.

Confused?

The main difference here is torque convertor vs clutch.....simple no?

I only drive in manual mode with my SSG. auto is harder to drive for me hehe......

i seriously think that lots of ppl think that M-DCT and DCT are actually the same box.

kevster30;518432 said:
Confused?

The main difference here is torque convertor vs clutch.....simple no?

Hmmm...no, because I don't quite agree with the traditional distinctions nowadays: torque converter vs clutch, planetary gearset vs meshed gear pairs, bands vs collars, etc. Besides which, an automatic transmission also has clutches...

Wiki: "An automatic transmission that allows the driver to manually select gears is a 'manumatic' and a manual transmission that is controlled by microchip is an 'automated' transmission."

The lines are so blur these days that, simply put, my yardstick is whether the default mode of shifting is carried out with or without driver input. To me, with driver input is manual, without driver input is automatic. So what is the default shilft mode of a 335i DCT?

You may all heartily disagree with me... :D

Schwepps;518477 said:
Hmmm...no, because I don't quite agree with the traditional distinctions nowadays: torque converter vs clutch, planetary gearset vs meshed gear pairs, bands vs collars, etc. Besides which, an automatic transmission also has clutches...

Wiki: "An automatic transmission that allows the driver to manually select gears is a 'manumatic' and a manual transmission that is controlled by microchip is an 'automated' transmission."

The lines are so blur these days that, simply put, my yardstick is whether the default mode of shifting is carried out with or without driver input. To me, with driver input is manual, without driver input is automatic. So what is the default shilft mode of a 335i DCT?

You may all heartily disagree with me... :D

Hope you will be happy and content with your own findings and conclusions.....enjoy your 'otherverse'

Top Bottom