how to make sure that 335i is with DCT but not tiptronic?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Schwepps;517811 said:
Why is it absolutely wrong, kevster? It seems to be a correct statement that a DCT is an auto gearbox and not an SMG/SSG.
DCT got auto mode.

SMG/SSG got auto mode

Steptronic got manual mode.

Which 1 is automatic gearbox?

:) The distinctions are quite blur these days as autos have manual mode and semi-manuals have auto mode. Question is whether a DCT is considered an auto or semi-auto. Seems to me that the only distinction, besides the dual power train, is that wet clutches replace the torque converter. I think an SMG has a different powertrain arrangement though, being a semi-automatic manual. Am I correct?

what i meant is the box itself its an auto build. not the mode selection. dct in 335i is acompletely auto box, but M dct in M3 is a manual box.

its completely different.

to david,
smg/ssg is manual
dct got both manual and auto( depends on the car you get, M3 is manual)
step is an auto for sure.

information provided by auto bavaria.

That's a good way to put things jc! :top:

Is it correct to refer to Steptronic as a gearbox in the first place? Isn't 'Steptronic' the BMW name for the manual mode of their auto boxes?

Schwepps;518041 said:
That's a good way to put things jc! :top:

Is it correct to refer to Steptronic as a gearbox in the first place? Isn't 'Steptronic' the BMW name for the manual mode of their auto boxes?

yup, it is.
hey schwepps, how does you gearbox perform? more to the sporty side or comfy?
i test drove the 323i once but i totally forget how it perform.

Mine is a ZF-kitted 325i sports. I reckon it's a great box. In D, it can be comfy, and it can be sporty. In DS, it's very sporty, and engine braking even seems intuitive. In other words, just using the gas pedal to control the car is adequate for most situations and I feel that Steptronic via gear lever or paddles is superfluous.

sounds cool!!
how many different GB does e9x using
i heard that the GB from e9x(auto) can actually perform better than SSG

Not sure jc, but in a recent thread, GM (France) boxes came up in the E90 LCIs. Don't think Getrag features anymore though.

I don't really see the point of SMG and SSG boxes. They're neither proper manuals nor good autos. IMHO neither here nor there. So I wouldn't be surprised if people considered the E9x autos with Steptronic better than SSGs. Let's face it, no matter how sporty a driver one fancies himself to be, MOST of the time one is in full auto in daily driving anyway. :)

jc@;518039 said:
what i meant is the box itself its an auto build. not the mode selection. dct in 335i is acompletely auto box, but M dct in M3 is a manual box.

to david,
smg/ssg is manual

1st of all, please x-check information provided by AB. Sometime, they might be wrong.

SMG/SSG is manual wif automatic clutch. Juz like Yamaha Cub. In addition, it also got full automatic mode.

DCT is manual wif 2 automatic clutch. Unlike SMG/SSG, it is smoother as there is 2 Clutch.

Steptronic is definitely an automatic transmission due to torque converter.

Pls correct me if i m wrong.

Pretty happy with my Step..shifts are supersmooth and quick.In fact,I think at least in D,they're equally as good as Audi's 7-speed S-tronic.BMW claims there's just a 0.2sec difference in 0-60 between the full manual and the Step.

First time I've been happy with a full auto gearbox..

supergripen;518299 said:
Pretty happy with my Step..shifts are supersmooth and quick.In fact,I think at least in D,they're equally as good as Audi's 7-speed S-tronic.BMW claims there's just a 0.2sec difference in 0-60 between the full manual and the Step.

First time I've been happy with a full auto gearbox..

The S-tronic is still faster than the manual version from a 0-100 run. Auto slush box in the 335i is much better than the regular E90, but still slower than the stick. From an efficient dynamics point of view BMW should be standardizing on DCTs for the entire model range. Their cars will be so much more fun to drive then..

Here is the comparo of the performance of the 335i mated with different gearbox options:

335i Performance specs
0-62 mph MT6 = 5.5 sec
0-62 mph AT = 5.7
0-62 mph DCT = 5.4

jc@;518039 said:

to david,
smg/ssg is manual

JC, contrary to popular belief the DCT gearbox in the 335 and new Z4 is similar to the E92 M3 DCT, minus some of the settings such as the upshift speed from S1-S6, less aggressive programming and etc. However, the launch control mode is still available in the 335 and new Z4.

This was clarified by the BMW trainer himself, when I made the query with regards to the Z4 DCT, as they called it Dual Clutch Automatic which is confusing.

Cheers

Schwepps;518074 said:
Not sure jc, but in a recent thread, GM (France) boxes came up in the E90 LCIs. Don't think Getrag features anymore though.

I don't really see the point of SMG and SSG boxes. They're neither proper manuals nor good autos. IMHO neither here nor there. So I wouldn't be surprised if people considered the E9x autos with Steptronic better than SSGs. Let's face it, no matter how sporty a driver one fancies himself to be, MOST of the time one is in full auto in daily driving anyway. :)

Unker Schwepps,

I used to have similar beliefs with regards to the SMG tranny, even after a few short "test drives".

However after owning one and using it as a daily driver for the past 8 months, all I can say the SMG is better than both the manual and auto tranny, taking into account of factors such as

1) usability (can change from manual to auto mode)
2) improved fuel consumption and enhanced driving pleasure
3) better response (try driving the same car with manual and auto tranny)

In some of the new super sport cars, single clutch transmission similar to the BMW's SMG is still used due to the lighter weight compared to DCT such as the R8. However, it is inevitable given that the DCT is superior in every other aspect (minus the weight), auto slushbox and single clutch manual transmission will be obsolete in the future.

Cheers

E46Fanatic;518312 said:
The S-tronic is still faster than the manual version from a 0-100 run. Auto slush box in the 335i is much better than the regular E90, but still slower than the stick. From an efficient dynamics point of view BMW should be standardizing on DCTs for the entire model range. Their cars will be so much more fun to drive then..

Here is the comparo of the performance of the 335i mated with different gearbox options:

335i Performance specs
0-62 mph MT6 = 5.5 sec
0-62 mph AT = 5.7
0-62 mph DCT = 5.4

Yup agreed..a DCT would have the best of both worlds.

But as it is,I'm pretty much sold on the Step on my 335i.I think it complements the N54's torquey nature perfectly,and as a luxury sports sedan,its fits my requirements to the dot.

However,like u said,a DCT would be fantastic:wink:

For a guy like you, an SMG makes perfect sense, Al. I'm not one of those who's at the track every weekend, and practising for the weekend every weekday. For 98% of the time it's home to work and the other mundane trips in life. That's why SMG makes no sense to me. :wink: I agree with Super that the E9x auto is the best ever driven, and fits the bill to the dot.

A couple of Qs:
- How is an SMG in auto mode? I've heard that it's a crude auto.
- The SMG boxes are Getrags, right?
- Auto slushbox and single clutch manual transmissions will be obsolete in the future? In sports cars or generally? :confused:

Schwepps;518355 said:
For a guy like you, an SMG makes perfect sense, Al. I'm not one of those who's at the track every weekend, and practising for the weekend every weekday. For 98% of the time it's home to work and the other mundane trips in life. That's why SMG makes no sense to me. :wink: I agree with Super that the E9x auto is the best ever driven, and fits the bill to the dot.

A couple of Qs:
- How is an SMG in auto mode? I've heard that it's a crude auto.
- The SMG boxes are Getrags, right?
- Auto slushbox and single clutch manual transmissions will be obsolete in the future? In sports cars or generally? :confused:

Hi,

1) In auto mode (switch it to S1, yes on the E46 M3 you can choose the shifting speed as well), and you just have to modulate the throttle when its up-shifting (ease off) and it's just as smooth as an auto box. When it down shifts, the throttle automatically blips as well, so it's smooth as well but not as smooth as an auto. The SSG is a littel crude I would say, worse than the selespeed but the SMG on the E46 M3 is much better having tried both. As it is, I am on auto mode most of the time :)

2) Yup, the SMG boxes are made by Getrag and very similar to the manual gearboxes, with the additional hydraulic actuator. Clutch plate is also similar to the manual ones.

3) Well DCT, offers better efficiency compared to auto boxes (now that's the rage in Europe) and smoother plus faster shifting speeds compared to SMGs. Plenty of VWs and Audis are already equipped with DSG, and I believe in the near future BMW will also offer DCT in the lower range models, as they aspire to lower the CO emission in the product range.

This is a nice review of the Z4 and the difference between the Z4 DCT and E92 M3 is elaborated. Enjoy :)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q1/2009_bmw_z4_sdrive35i-first_drive_review

Cheers

Nice to play with it though, when you want to huh? Whereas you can't switch a manual into auto mode. I know I would stay in auto mode 98% of the time myself. :)

Schwepps;518368 said:
Nice to play with it though, when you want to huh? Whereas you can't switch a manual into auto mode. I know I would stay in auto mode 98% of the time myself. :)

I've learnt how to modulate my throttle so that the gearbox does what I want,95% of the time.I used the paddles once,and thought tho it is nice to have,I don't really need them.
Works fine in D and DS without the paddles..especially so in high torque applications.Utter bliss...

That's exactly how I feel supergripen! You can virtually select the gears with the throttle, especially in DS. It's such a well-balanced car: not only in the handling, but even in the powertrain! :top:

E46Fanatic;518312 said:

335i Performance specs
0-62 mph MT6 = 5.5 sec
0-62 mph AT = 5.7
0-62 mph DCT = 5.4

I'm recording 4.8 sec :cool: jeng jeng jeng.... hehehehe. This is why I'm loving my ride more and more each day.

Top Bottom