How do you drive your F10

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fastnfurious

Club Guest
Just wanted to start a short thread on how you guys drive yr F10.For me its always on sports mode. Find the normal mode not responsive. Wish there was a way I can set the car to always be on sports mode instead of normal :( 1. When I shift the auto lever to the left, the display say DS? What does that mean. Can I leave the car in DS mode all the time, i.e would that damage the car.2. Does anyone now any links to proper seating position in these cars. Think Ive already changed the seating style about 20 times now trying to find the perfect position.......

no one can tell you what is the perfect seating position... cause it's your body that determines it; as long as your right foot is not in a straight position when you fully depress the brake pedal. You need to have a slight bend, as in this position if you met in a frontal collision, it will not directly transmit the full force of the collision to your pelvis.

Be comfortable with yourself inside the car. Cause it's you who's either getting the pleasure or pressure while driving, and no one else.

I always drive on Normal, cause the turbo kicks in just as fast so the Sport mode is only for kicking the Cs, Es, Ss Classes, A4s, A6s, Gtis, etc

For me sport mode! Love to push the car! Done 4k plus km. Realize oil level dropping sharply! Visited AB, tech guy says aok need not to top up unless indicator in min! Any seniors piece of advice? Shall I tOp it myself or just wait for 10km just ripe time for service??

anyone can advice on the DS mode query above? Is it okay if I leave the can in DS mode while I drive continously.

Just notice something...not sure if theres something wrong with my car.......when I put it in comfort mode and switch off the car, then I turn it back on it stays in comfort mode. But this doesnt seem to work for the sports mode.i.e when I put the car in sports mode and switch it off, the next them I start it its in normal mode. Is this the same for all cars?

leeman;640757 said:
For me sport mode! Love to push the car! Done 4k plus km. Realize oil level dropping sharply! Visited AB, tech guy says aok need not to top up unless indicator in min! Any seniors piece of advice? Shall I tOp it myself or just wait for 10km just ripe time for service??

u may need to watch out. most probably your engine is N52 which has this engine oil issue. dun believe what the saleman told u this is normal bla bla bla. if this happen consistently, insist they give u a formal report to solve this. Also watch out for lifter noice issue when cold start your engine ( another common problem of N52)

fastnfurious;640761 said:
anyone can advice on the DS mode query above? Is it okay if I leave the can in DS mode while I drive continously.

Can.... :4: only downside is higher consumption.
..just fyi, our transmission is "adaptive" in nature. based on your driving style, it'll "reprogram" itself to suit. rev a lot with a heavy foot, and it'll keep in each gear longer. drive prolonged in "aunty mode", and it'll behave very gently.
moral of the story - drive it like you stole it, and your beast will respond!

leeman;640757 said:

This happened to my c-class w203 before. It was due to the oil tube leakage. I am not sure what happen to yours. Request
AB for a full inspection, so that any thing happen to your engine in future you may refer to this issue. Good luck!

Can anyone with the F10 let me know if you select yr sports mode, then switch off the car. When you switch it back on, does it still stay in sports mode. Thx for yr feedback.

It doesn't stay in sports mode. But it will stay in Comfort. I suspect this has something to do with certain rules and regulations in Europe to get the car's official CO2 emissions and fuel economy data down, you can't start-up the car in a mode that is less fuel efficient.

fastnfurious;640849 said:
Can anyone with the F10 let me know if you select yr sports mode, then switch off the car. When you switch it back on, does it still stay in sports mode. Thx for yr feedback.

Nope, sport mode cannot be permanently lock in. Only comfort

seating position:

seating should be comfortable, neither too near (nascar), nor too far from the steering. i usually sit low and straight because i have a backache.

steering position, with your hands on the 9-o'clock and 3-o'clock of the steering wheel, elbow should be bent slightly. then ensure that you are able to touch the 12-0'clock of the steering with both your wrist while seated. this will enable you maximise your turning radius of your steering while maintaining the 3-9-o'clock position.

LiteBulb;641466 said:
seating position:

seating should be comfortable, neither too near (nascar), nor too far from the steering. i usually sit low and straight because i have a backache.

steering position, with your hands on the 9-o'clock and 3-o'clock of the steering wheel, elbow should be bent slightly. then ensure that you are able to touch the 12-0'clock of the steering with both your wrist while seated. this will enable you maximise your turning radius of your steering while maintaining the 3-9-o'clock position.

yes, that is what BMW recommended. It took me a while to get used to it

LiteBulb;641466 said:
seating position:

Steering position is for sporty driving?
Read somewhere that airbag-friendly hand positions would be somewhere in the lower half of the steering wheel...

kenfoo2;642181 said:
Steering position is for sporty driving?
Read somewhere that airbag-friendly hand positions would be somewhere in the lower half of the steering wheel...

errrrr, i guess its somewhat sporty. this is the method used in order to obtain full maneuverability of the steering wheel, where you can achieve maximum turning radius without lifting your hands off.

but in general, so long you are comfortable and is able to take full control of the car, no one can say that your position is wrong. you are the driver, not anyone else.

fastnfurious;640648 said:
Just wanted to start a short thread on how you guys drive yr F10.

For me its always on sports mode. Find the normal mode not responsive. Wish there was a way I can set the car to always be on sports mode instead of normal :(

1. When I shift the auto lever to the left, the display say DS? What does that mean. Can I leave the car in DS mode all the time, i.e would that damage the car.

2. Does anyone now any links to proper seating position in these cars. Think Ive already changed the seating style about 20 times now trying to find the perfect position.......

i only use sports mode when im in a hurry. normally just on comfort mode around the city. however
whenever i need to accelerate fast or overtake, i'll just drop a gear or 2 thru the paddle shifts
which works brilliantly, the response is instantaneous. ya would be nice to be in sports mode all
the time, like my other car, a saab 93.... when the power delivery is just predictably amazing and reliable.

Top Bottom