High Intensity Discharge Head Lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

musclehedz

Club Guest
KUALA LUMPUR: Fitting bluish-white headlights to their vehicles may bethe latest fad among motorists but the blinding lights have caused notonly discomfort to road users but also some confusion.Thousands of motorists may have to get them changed to the normal yellowlights as the Road Transport Department (RTD) says it is illegal toinstall the xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) lights without approvalfrom the department.And importers of luxury cars, which come with the lights pre-installed,must also get written permission from the RTD.This has prompted motorists to ask: Why allow such blinding lights in thefirst place?According to a website, HID lights are two times brighter than theconventional halogen bulbs used by most vehicles on the road. Among otherthings they:·ARE more efficient in terms of energy consumption, have a longerlifespan and can improve visibility for the driver compared to halogenlamps; and·WILL not cause unwanted glare or discomfort to other road users if theyare properly aligned.Federation of Malaysian Consumers Association (Fomca) adviser Datuk AdnanHamdan said motorists had complained that the lights posed a danger asthey were left temporarily blinded by cars with these lights.“Why allow them in the first place? Although it is not a major problem,it may become one soon as many motorists are converting to HID lights,”he said, adding that Fomca had received letters on the matter.He said the RTD rules on the matter were also not clear and need to bereviewed.RTD technical department director Zahamail Omar said only certain carmanufacturers who had met international specifications and had approvalfrom the RTD were allowed to use these lights.“Anyone wanting to modify their headlights must apply to the technicaldepartment for the product to be evaluated to find out if it fulfils thespecifications for road transport.“Any modifications made by the car owner that can cause accidents,interference or danger to other road users can be penalised under theMotor Vehicle Rules (Construction and Use) 1959,” he told The Staryesterday.He advised car owners to have their vehicles checked by the RTD to findout if their headlights were within specifications.Zahamail declined to comment on the penalties for using HID lights.Dean of the Engineering Faculty at Universiti Putra Malaysia Prof RadinUmar Radin Sohadi said it would not become an issue as long as the lightswere fitted according to proper procedures.“The problem arises when the people who fix it may not be setting theheight of the beam correctly. This could blur or blind people travellingin the opposite direction.“As it is, our headlights when not on high beam are already set to acertain angle that does not endanger oncoming traffic,” said Prof Radin,who is UPM's road safety research centre director.Those against the use of the lights said it was very blinding anddangerous.Public relations executive B. Sree Sudheesh, 23, said the RTD shouldenforce the rules with regards to the illegal use of the lights. He addedthat cars with such lights should not even be on the road.For Mohd Asnawi Arshad, 36, the extremely bright lights have often lefthim “in the dark”.“The moment the car passes by, my vision become blinded or blurred. It isvery dangerous.”Checks with car accessories centres revealed that some of them know thatHID lights are illegal.According to a mechanic who only wanted to be identified as Ricky, HIDheadlight kits did not last very long, with an average lifespan of aboutsix months.“They cost anywhere between RM900 and RM1,400 and there is no way to makeit dimmer,” he said, adding that he did not encourage his customers toinstall the lights.Those using HID lights felt it made a difference to them, especially whendriving at night on highways.“The light is extremely bright compared with the conventional yellowlights, and that is very good. Whether or not it distracts other peopleis a different issue, what is important is that it helps the driver,”said managing director Cheah Eng Kong.

shall we obtain some paperwork from AB, Cartrade to certify our Cars come with the Xenon factory fitted??

Its the same old thing. OE lights or OE-compliant aftermarket HIDs don't "blind" people. Its only idiots who fit super bright ones and / or on headlamps not designed for HIDs. I've yet to see HIDs on Vios which aren't blinding. If all HIDs blind people, I wonder why its legal in the rest of the civilised world. Typical Malaysian knee-jerk crap. Lets all write to the editor!

normally i'll just adjust the low beam to '2' which is the lowest....

Idiots.. a badly calibrate halogen bulb will just about glare as much .. that happens when some one replaces a headlight (e.g. after accident) and didn't bother to adjust

This is only my personal opinion.

Factory fitted and correct allignment. If after passing this vehicles you are momentarilly blinded, i think you are not a nocturnal driver. Pse stare and focus your lane instead of looking straight amazingly at HID. :ph34r:

Tq.

The people who are reporting this are just jealous coz they can't have HID. :p

Next thing you know they'll be banning side mirrors coz the sun reflects on them and blinds them at the back. *i kena just now... sakit wor...

HID is a major improvement in the technology.
Yes, I agree with the UPM professor, it is not the HID but the idiots who installed the bulbs.

However any light not installed correctly will be blinding.

Due to the huge improvement in the brightness of HID, it actually saves life when used correctly.

There are a lot of cars out there with retrofitted HID and really high color temperature and without headlight reflector design that is compatible with the HID light throw. All that causes the light to 'smear' and spread, consequently blinding to the oncoming cars.

Even the E46 with non-projector lense headlight will not do good with the HID. the light throw tends to spread and throw too high. Only those with projector lense headlamp would not have this problem ie E30, E36, E36...

In Japan, you need to go for car "check-up" every two year in order to renew kind like road tax and one of the important thing is to make sure your beam is on the specific line.

I believe most of people don't know to align and even if they know, just don't care (to make sure not blind other user.)

Question is : How high it should be and how low is dangerous ?

We should have this here every time to renew road tax

and somebody please tell me why fog light need to be HID too ?

and why on the fog light in town, where most of time road already bright enough to see ? mau tengok apa saudara .....

more power come more responsibility maa .....HID power maa...

Originally posted by Iqlima@Sep 11 2005, 12:43 AM
and why on the fog light in town, where most of time road already bright enough to see ? mau tengok apa saudara .....
I on foglight cos if I don't turn it on often often, the water vapour will fog it up from the inside... and it's next to impossible to clean it later... and the E30 foglight is more expensive than the E36 foglight.

Not only we are hving this complaint.. look at this US report -
US Consumer Reports

In actual fact, all those cars that factory fitted with HID in Europe MUST have a self-leveling machanism. Over here, ppl just simply retrokit any aftermarket HID kit as they like, sure blinding others lah. :huh: Once they drive thru any pothole or bump, the front or opposite driver sure curse one!

Right on the spot, you need self-leveling feature to get the best level or angle...... :p I had seen Merc with very high angle and it hits you through your side mirror, strange but only one side not both ...... :D

Jeff

:D :D
so friends ......... the conclusion is ..... should I install HID to my car or not ? I am about to purchase one, but stopping myself when I read the news. ..... any opinion or suggestion .
cannot tahan la ... when see other people car light, white in color .

YAzid :yes!: :yes!:

yazid,
dont my man!

no offence to d rest of the forummers, but i really cannot stand cars with the HIDs. Self-levelling or not, they should ban them becos there's no bloody enforcement anyway so what gives??
Especially in pj, nobody gives a shit about the next driver...sad but true!! :angry:

As it is, have to contend with bloody kelisas with their lights that suit 18-wheelers !! Godammit!!

I would vote for reasonable headlights with commonsense driving anytime!!
Cheers!

Originally posted by musclehedz@Sep 9 2005, 10:20 PM
KUALA LUMPUR: Fitting bluish-white headlights to their vehicles may be
the latest fad among motorists but the blinding lights have caused not
only discomfort to road users but also some confusion.

Thousands of motorists may have to get them changed to the normal yellow
lights as the Road Transport Department (RTD) says it is illegal to
install the xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) lights without approval
from the department.

And importers of luxury cars, which come with the lights pre-installed,
must also get written permission from the RTD.

This has prompted motorists to ask: Why allow such blinding lights in the
first place?

According to a website, HID lights are two times brighter than the
conventional halogen bulbs used by most vehicles on the road. Among other
things they:

·ARE more efficient in terms of energy consumption, have a longer
lifespan and can improve visibility for the driver compared to halogen
lamps; and

·WILL not cause unwanted glare or discomfort to other road users if they
are properly aligned.

Federation of Malaysian Consumers Association (Fomca) adviser Datuk Adnan
Hamdan said motorists had complained that the lights posed a danger as
they were left temporarily blinded by cars with these lights.

“Why allow them in the first place? Although it is not a major problem,
it may become one soon as many motorists are converting to HID lights,”
he said, adding that Fomca had received letters on the matter.

He said the RTD rules on the matter were also not clear and need to be
reviewed.

RTD technical department director Zahamail Omar said only certain car
manufacturers who had met international specifications and had approval
from the RTD were allowed to use these lights.

“Anyone wanting to modify their headlights must apply to the technical
department for the product to be evaluated to find out if it fulfils the
specifications for road transport.

“Any modifications made by the car owner that can cause accidents,
interference or danger to other road users can be penalised under the
Motor Vehicle Rules (Construction and Use) 1959,” he told The Star
yesterday.

He advised car owners to have their vehicles checked by the RTD to find
out if their headlights were within specifications.

Zahamail declined to comment on the penalties for using HID lights.

Dean of the Engineering Faculty at Universiti Putra Malaysia Prof Radin
Umar Radin Sohadi said it would not become an issue as long as the lights
were fitted according to proper procedures.

“The problem arises when the people who fix it may not be setting the
height of the beam correctly. This could blur or blind people travelling
in the opposite direction.

“As it is, our headlights when not on high beam are already set to a
certain angle that does not endanger oncoming traffic,” said Prof Radin,
who is UPM's road safety research centre director.

Those against the use of the lights said it was very blinding and
dangerous.

Public relations executive B. Sree Sudheesh, 23, said the RTD should
enforce the rules with regards to the illegal use of the lights. He added
that cars with such lights should not even be on the road.

For Mohd Asnawi Arshad, 36, the extremely bright lights have often left
him “in the dark”.

“The moment the car passes by, my vision become blinded or blurred. It is
very dangerous.”

Checks with car accessories centres revealed that some of them know that
HID lights are illegal.

According to a mechanic who only wanted to be identified as Ricky, HID
headlight kits did not last very long, with an average lifespan of about
six months.

“They cost anywhere between RM900 and RM1,400 and there is no way to make
it dimmer,” he said, adding that he did not encourage his customers to
install the lights.

Those using HID lights felt it made a difference to them, especially when
driving at night on highways.

“The light is extremely bright compared with the conventional yellow
lights, and that is very good. Whether or not it distracts other people
is a different issue, what is important is that it helps the driver,”
said managing director Cheah Eng Kong.
so, what does these all mean? Does it mean that now all those with HID need to send their cars to JPJ to get a piece of paper which says "approved"? Liddat, sure open up another avenue for corruption wan. :(
Although my e36 comes with reflectors (to focus the "throw") I don't want to go through the hassle of being stopped by the JPJ or police every now and then. Like Yazid, I am also itching to retrofit a HID on my ride, but don't want the trouble of being stopped everytime by the authorities. So how, so how???

just install i pair first than talk....safety first,u know malaysia road condition :( .sometime can't even see with our orig halogen light.i will install i pair if i get my UDM.

what's a projecter, projector lense headlamp? anyone car to explain the difference? what else are there?

Those who are using espeically retrofit H.I.D. headlights and spotlight are in for double trouble as well.

IMO, I blame all those who has INCORRECTLY installed them in the first place thereby causing such an adverse re-action to a piece of SAFETY equipment. Installer/Dealers are the first to blame for this, sell sell sell and don't have shit KNOWLEDGE on how to install them or whether CAN use them or not in the first place. Those Vios, Civics, etc are the idiots with those H.I.D.'s which really blinds on-coming traffic. I have never seen a BMW that is factory fitted with H.I.D. to BLIND oncoming traffic.

All it takes is a bunch of BMW wannabe idiots to come along and spoil everything.

And now we have to bring our cars to JPJ for inspection just because of some bunch of idiot's mistake?? How would they inspect? Stare at the light and conclude if we've installed them correctly?? A waste of bloody time and than what? Stick the approval LETTER on the dashboard??

:getyourfactsright:

I think they are just making a mountain out of a mole hill. HID's or no HID's incorrectly installed headlights will blind the life out of you. I think its also up to the drivers themselves to be a little considerate. Check lah your headlights weather or not its properly adjusted.

Honestly, has HID's killed anyone yet ? Firstly people dont usually get blinded on highway coz at the speed these cars travel, these lights past you really fast, so please dont tell me that a mili second of bright lights HID or not changed your life forever..

Top Bottom