High gas consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
ess530i;337300 said:
my respect to you bro leforte it takes a lot of determination to achieve that kinda mileage considering the power u have in your car :top:

haha, its really not hard to achieve tat kinda mileage. learning how to drive smoothly with no abrupt revving always helps. anyway, there is always a misconception that a bigger cc car or a more powerful car is just going to be a fuel guzler, but the truth is, its just much more efficient to run with ample torque available across the rev range for normal driving, only when you are stepping on it that it shows its true appetite. i am using only 1600+/- rpm when i am travelling at 110km/h while my other cars with a smaller cc will be using almost double or more. :rolleyes:

check out this video from top gear of a e9o m3 vs a toyota prius. the test shows the m3 with almost 4x the power and also bigger petrol engine capacity beats the electric hybrid toyota prius in a fuel economy test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6fe6i1vaY&feature=related

object%3E

Rm150=53.76 Liter for 500 KM which is around 9KM/L, that is very good if it is pure city drive for a 530.

Even with 200KM/H, it should not sucking at 5km/L. As stated 110 KM/H on highway, the average consumption is 14KM/L, and rule of thumb, x2 , you should get easily 7km/liter at 200 KM/H. I have driven 200Km/h consistent from KL-Kuantan, it definitely not that thirsty. There are many way to improve fuel efficiency beside driving habits and engine conditions, one of the easy way is having the right tire pressure. You will be surprise how much you save with good pressure.

NOTE:
The power to overcome air resistance increases roughly with the cube of the speed, and thus the energy required per unit distance is roughly proportional to the square of speed. Because air resistance increases so rapidly with speed, above about 30 mph (48 km/h), it becomes a dominant limiting factor. Driving at 45 rather than 65 mph (72 rather than 105 km/h), results in about one-third the power to overcome wind resistance, or about one half the energy per unit distance, and much greater fuel economy can be achieved. Increasing speed to 90 mph (145 km/h) from 65 mph (105 km/h) increases the power requirement by 2.6 times, the energy by 1.9 times, and drastically decreases fuel economy. In practice, rather than doubling or halving the fuel economy, the difference is actually closer to 40-50%, because engine efficiency varies greatly with the torque/speed operating point. Rolling resistance, which is broadly proportional to speed, is also a factor particularly at lower speeds.

E39 520 full tank about RM120-00 gives me about 450km-500km city driving, for highway can reach 550km (penang-ipoh). Computer reading at 10/100-L/km. good or not?

Egon-E39

Your FC is very good for a 2.0 car especially it is a BMW.. I believe a Perdana will drink more then that.

geoffrey lee....

TQVM. i noticed the gauge on the meter on petrol consumption per 100km. trick is to keep it to the minimum where possible. Example when the car is heading down hill and you let go of the accelerator the car will still take you some distance. There is somewhat a powerwheel that just keeps the car going even if you let go of the accelerator-momentum force. So learn to keep your feet off when it is time to do so. The previous Aussie owner gulped 13.5L per 100km. I brought it down to 10/100 hoping to get lower. Driving style has impact and off course maintenance lah....

This is an interesting thread.....the best I've managed to get was 700km on a full tank (mixed urban driving with some highways). That was done with a light right foot..of course only used lighter feet after the petrol increased.

One useful feature of the e39 is the digital readout of the onbaord computer which calculates the realtime liter per 100km calculation...of course you get an analogue display of that figure below the speedo but i prefer the digital reading. The real time digital readout is available under test no.4. Also another nice feature is the digital readout of the amount of fuel left in the tank.

I once drove from PJ to Bukit Jalil on 3.0 liters....made it to the gas station with 1.5 liter left in the tank...lol..

Egon-E39;337973 said:
geoffrey lee....

TQVM. i noticed the gauge on the meter on petrol consumption per 100km. trick is to keep it to the minimum where possible. Example when the car is heading down hill and you let go of the accelerator the car will still take you some distance. There is somewhat a powerwheel that just keeps the car going even if you let go of the accelerator-momentum force. So learn to keep your feet off when it is time to do so. The previous Aussie owner gulped 13.5L per 100km. I brought it down to 10/100 hoping to get lower. Driving style has impact and off course maintenance lah....

I think 13.5L/100km FC is better than VIVA!! VIVA is 15.2L/100km. How can tis happen?

SS626A;338188 said:
I think 13.5L/100km FC is better than VIVA!! VIVA is 15.2L/100km. How can tis happen?

Jeremy of Top Gear said.. :"Its not what you drive but its how you drive"

Hahahaa

yess....indeed.....its how you drive.....

Viva 15.2?......Malaysia Boleh mah......Will try to post up pics of by OBC reading soon.

Point is....don get Viva....get BMW lah.....

SS626A;338188 said:

Viva 15.2??? :eek::eek:
Im getting 10.5L for my 2.4 Sonata and 14L for my 530i

It also depends on the petrol. some station will give lousy mileage while others gives better mileage. I know a person running a station and he tells me to fill up only on weekdays eg Wednesdays. Reason:-

1.Diluted petrol supplied on Friday or eve of public holidays to be sold over the weekend or holiday.
2.Enforcement officers do not work on weekends and holidays. So better profit for low quality petrol.
3.If fill up on weekdays, likelyhood the officers may jump on them risking their license being revoked.

I asked why he dilute petrol. Reply was for better profit and others are doing it as well.

Another factor is the gear change. On normal driving, the gear change to 4th at 45km/h and 5th gear on 70km/h this will reduce the rpm from 2000 to 1500rpm. so will give savings to u. ponder about it give it a try.

guys im looking at getting a E39 523 2000 model, how would the consumption be on her ?

hi all, already. already introduced as newbies.

mine 523i, 99, double-v. full tank: 68L (est RM185).

By heart, tak tahan punye ==> heavy footer: 650km

after new oil price
use brain more loh ==> light footer: near 800km.

NEW last weekend
highway Seremban ==> JB, super light foot + cruise, max 140km/hr: can go 850km !!

believe me. try this. press & glide, press & glise, press & glide.....

sounds like there's a bit of confusion... some are quoting km/l (higher-better) while others are quoting l/km (lower-better)...

kubica....indeed the press and glide works. dont have to press on the pedal all the time.

hi guys. just like kubica, i also have introduced myself in newbies. hope u all wouldn't mind me joining.

I drive e39 523 1997. Travel kl-alor star every 2 weeks. Floor the pedal whenever I could (that give me a hell of satisfaction driving a beemer, he he he) max speed 220km/h. Full tank from KL, fill up around rm140 when i reach alor star.. ok or not?

Egon-E39;340635 said:
kubica....indeed the press and glide works. dont have to press on the pedal all the time.

my uncle do this all the time ... me still can't do it smoothly. my uncle driving mileage is high per full tank ... me is of course lower ... need to practice more!

I Can't Tahan To Drive It Slow......Everytime Sitting Inside, Feel Like Wana Unleash The Power Of The UDM..... It Is Just So ......Cheerful~~

ya lar....everytime you unleash the power you can also hear coins dropping on the road......lagi cheerful..

Top Bottom