Help needed with my E36

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bird Catcher

Club Guest
Hi everyone,First of all, let me establish that I know almost next to nothing about cars.:stupid:I need your advice as I have just gotten my hands on an E36 which is in pretty excellent condition (1 owner; lady;serviced regularly; accident free). The problem is.... its in its basic original condition..... ori basic rims, casette player, needs a paint job..... and I would like to give it a face lift. I have a budget of a bout RM 30k...... where do I start? 1. The engine is in decent condition..... bit it seems a bit lifeless (no power). What can I do to liven up the engine without changing it?2. I hae been told that I need to change the suspension - shock, bushing etc.3. is a top overhaul necessary? what does it do?4. For the exterior I want to:-add basic fibre (front and rear)-change the lamps (front and rear)- respray ...... would gunmetal grey look good? - rims..... could anyone recommend what typ of rims wld go well .... size / colour / where to get it ?5. Interior:-Sound system-clean the leather-tintI would really appreciate it if you could recommend where I could get the above done.Thanks a lot in advance.:top:

hi birdie, welcome to the forum. please introduce yourself 1st at the newbie section in the forum.

hi... birdcatcher
nice to see your introduction
and welcome to the forum. :)

my 0.2cents...
if u got the car in good condition
than you may no need to spend much
maybe just a fresh coat of paint
than change the absorber ( if the owner said is due to change),
and also the suspension bushings, (that will cost some money)
and also change the wear n tear parts (sifu here can guide me please? i not sure what other things)

Maybe it would be better to post some pic ofthe car before we can comment.

Change the radiator and the expansion tank if it have not been change before.
While you are at it, change all the rubber hoses.

What year is your car? Engine type M40 or M43? If M40, remember to change the timing belt every 50K Km. If timing chain, not necessary to change.

If going for respray, consider to fit the body kit first. Price depends on ori or replica fiber.

Top overhaul is only necessary if your engine is losing power. What is the present mileage? This would help to determine what to change or service?

Auto or Manual? Presume that it is auto.. Any problem on gear changing? If have, recommend to change ATF and flushing.

Check the brakes as well.

Oh.. don't forget the rim.. change to 17" at least.. Depending on your bdy kit, find the rim to match..

Last but no the least.. find a good workshop to maintain your UDM..

If u looking for performance ....Go for 325 or 328 instead ...if not u will regret in future ....

if u just want d look...Then find a 318 wit all accry like 17' rim ,bodykit ,good paint job cos all d items will cost u around 10k to complete .....Of cause wit good engine,body n gearbox condition .....

If u just want a standard stock car .......Then u should know wat to choose ....

Lionel_Koh;379538 said:
If u looking for performance ....Go for 325 or 328 instead ...if not u will regret in future ....

if power is not d thing u want ...Then find a 318 wit all accry like 17' rim ,bodykit ,good paint job cos all d items will cost u around 10k to complete .....Of cause wit good engine,body n gearbox condition .....

If u just want a standard stock car .......Then u should know wat to choose ....

bro.. he say he already got E36 318 lah.. cannot racun some more for power..:listen:

sesat88;379607 said:
30k can change engine... ;)

for discussion sake ... for an extra 30k , you can get an E36 cabriolet .
saw one in EOA last week . 68k , 1997 , 328i , slurrrppsss ...

now I know what my next car will be .....:wink:

jarance;379541 said:
bro.. he say he already got E36 318 lah.. cannot racun some more for power..:listen:

30K can get one M50B25 stroke to 3.0 or 3.2 + manual tranny cost 15-20K ......Then 10k for bodykit @3k ,rim @ 3k n paint job 3k-4k .....ngam ngam ........30k ......

Cabutz .......

i also finish 30k+++ in one day.. for one E36...
my hand actually shaking when take out my life saving..

sachseelan;379631 said:
oh god, lionel will finish his 30K in one day... hahaha

hahahahh .....not one daylah .........1 mth for d project just ngam ngam

azam318;380039 said:
Beware.... Mr Racun has comes.... Fantastic...30K mey... huhuh

wer got .....u not even meet extra racun king around .......

sam1741;380056 said:
i also finish 30k+++ in one day.. for one E36...
my hand actually shaking when take out my life saving..

At least u dun need to pay d installment ......i still need to pay mthly installment and somore same amount spend ....:banghead:

Yeah, Mr Catcher. What's your call. I have to concur with Lionel lah, 30K Ngam Ngam!! wohoo

Top Bottom