Gearbox Problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mad3

Club Guest
Hello all,Just to share my experience for the gearbox problem which i encountered last week.My problem starts with my drive home from work where i felt like shuddering from engine which i had 3 days before where i changed the coil plug. The symptom for coil plug is like mis-firing or vibration when you try to rev the engine. i drove to the workshop immediately to change the coil plug and everything was fine and smooth, also felt more power and smoother engine. 3 days later, i drove home after work and thinking this could be the similar problem. the next morning i sent the car to workshop to check it with the computer and found no error, not even a single malfunction code. Replaced all 6 coil plugs new and drove around where similar shuddering occurred. However this only happened when shifting 2nd to 3rd gear. Only a short drive and realized that gear oil has leaked all over the floor when back to workshop. Jacked the car up, remove the gearbox, and found that the support sleeve has jammed together with the torque converter(see pic). I had just changed the gearbox oil recently and used only 3K mileage, oils leaking does not contain any dirt or signs of metal chips which will somehow tell you that something had gone wrong. Well to be honest, since this is my first UDM and i don't know much about automatic gearbox where my previous mechanic told me that he had serviced and cleaned the torque converter. If you see the photo, the torque converter is sealed tight with one weld seam, hence i found out that I've been cheated for this service cost previously.Back to the story, i only changed the oil pump and replaced some oil seals where the sleeve comes in one set and engine oil, since my car mileage is only 130K. Been driving since yesterday and touchwood, everything is ok till now. I know that maybe its advisable to overhaul the gearbox entirely to replace the clutch or service the valves and i guess it all comes back to the owners pocket and the way he drives the car, he or she knows best. Just my 2 cents..:smile:
DSC02904.jpg
DSC02902.jpg

Which mechanic did you send your car to, bro? And how much did the job cost you?

I had some vibration issues on my car too about two weeks after I took delivery. Everytime the gearbox shifted from 2nd to 3rd, there would be a slight vibration coming from the driveline, but only at part throttle loads - on full throttle shifts, no vibration. It felt like the driveshaft was bent or some bearing had gone.

Took it to my mechanic and he diagnosed it as worn gearbox mountings. Sending my UDM in tomorrow to have the mountings changed. Hopefully that'll be the end of the issue! ;)

Top Bottom