gearbox overhaul info

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BigDaddyRambler

Club Guest
hey guys, i would like to knw how much it cost to overhaul a gearbox? has anyone done it before and how much did u pay for it?my gearbox was leaking fluids the other day and the mechanic told me that i require a gb overhaul and he told me its pretty common for e46 once pass100k mileage. he charge me 12k for the overhaul with two yrs warranty and free oil cooler. so i'm wondering whether did i get rip off by this mechanic or is he decent. lol. any info would be great thanx-bigDaddyRambler

Sorry to hear you predicament bro but RM12k for gearbox overhaul is expensive. I paid RM5k. I could recommend you the guy, but he tried to cheat me so I am going to spare you the torture! 2nd hand gearbox also around RM5k, drop me a PM if you need the contact (for 2nd hand gearbox).

BTW whats the symptom?? Your car still can drive??

BigDaddyRambler;726558 said:
hey guys, i would like to knw how much it cost to overhaul a gearbox? has anyone done it before and how much did u pay for it?
my gearbox was leaking fluids the other day and the mechanic told me that i require a gb overhaul and he told me its pretty common for e46 once pass
100k mileage. he charge me 12k for the overhaul with two yrs warranty and free oil cooler. so i'm wondering whether did i get rip off by this mechanic or is he decent. lol.
any info would be great thanx

Super duper rip off. Total rebuilt cost for my 5hp30 with steptronic cost only 7k. All new friction plates, steel plates, bearings, seal and 4 solenoids. Not to mention 11 litres of atf.

You can ask the workshop to list down the parts and compare pricing with others.

gimli;726605 said:
Sorry to hear you predicament bro but RM12k for gearbox overhaul is expensive. I paid RM5k. I could recommend you the guy, but he tried to cheat me so I am going to spare you the torture! 2nd hand gearbox also around RM5k, drop me a PM if you need the contact (for 2nd hand gearbox).

BTW whats the symptom?? Your car still can drive??

ouch!! i feel like i got kick in the nuts.

nah its ok. my gearbox is being done now. most prob not going back there anymore.

it was drivable when i send it to the workshop. there were smoke coming from the undercarriage(around the gb area) and the transmission fluid kept leaking as i drove along. prior to the
leakage, the car couldn't maintain the rev, it was jerky and sometimes theres a crank sound.

alantiong;726613 said:
BigDaddyRambler;726558 said:
hey guys, i would like to knw how much it cost to overhaul a gearbox? has anyone done it before and how much did u pay for it?
my gearbox was leaking fluids the other day and the mechanic told me that i require a gb overhaul and he told me its pretty common for e46 once pass
100k mileage. he charge me 12k for the overhaul with two yrs warranty and free oil cooler. so i'm wondering whether did i get rip off by this mechanic or is he decent. lol.
any info would be great thanx

Super duper rip off. Total rebuilt cost for my 5hp30 with steptronic cost only 7k. All new friction plates, steel plates, bearings, seal and 4 solenoids. Not to mention 11 litres of atf.

damn. most prob not going back to that workshop. thx for the info anyway.
now im gonna sit in a dark corner and feel sorry for myself. lol.

BigDaddyRambler;726639 said:
alantiong;726613 said:
damn. most prob not going back to that workshop. thx for the info anyway.
now im gonna sit in a dark corner and feel sorry for myself. lol.

i tried to feel sad for you but cant help it,with your reply. u re funny man. lol.
anyway, hope everything will turn out well for you.

Bro... my ride is E39 and I've rebuild my GB + reconditioned my torque converter last year for RM5.5k.

RM12K? Personally i think its a bit toooo expensive.

Perhaps you can check with other bro or sis here which had their GB done up...

Well there's really not much that can be done now. For the record I overhauled my E38 ZF5hp19 gearbox for less than RM5k

Top Bottom