Gearbox light on

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

VNP

Club Guest
Guys, need advice on the problem that I am facing now. Whenever I park my car on a slope for about half an hour or longer,the gearbox light will remain on after starting the engine and when I engage the gear to D the car will move a little and stop.Same thing when reverse. After 3 times off and restart the car then only the gearbox light will go off and I can drive normally again.Have anyone experience this problem before and know where is the problem? Thank you.VNP

Is this your first time experiencing this problem.

It sound like one of the solenoids of the GB is sticky or faulty.

Can you confirm that the GB fail to engage?

oil gearbox low, parking at slope ticks off the warning light...

and jarance could be right also...

boyburhan;715472 said:
Check ur GB oil bro...

Thanks for all your replies. Yes this is my first time experiencing this problem.
You're right bro, should check my GB oil. By the way is there a dip stick to check the gearbox oil just like for the engine oil?
or is it too complicated that I must send to the Mechanic to do it?

Thanks

VNP

you're going to need to jack the car up and check the level from below the car. its not like myvi etc where there's a dipstick to check the level. so you've got no choice to bring it to your mechanic i guess.

i believe u hv to send it to them, it takes 2 days. mine just send this evening, same probs as u.

Gearbox light on

jarance;715390 said:
Is this your first time experiencing this problem.

It sound like one of the solenoids of the GB is sticky or faulty.

Can you confirm that the GB fail to engage?

Since I have to send my ride to my mech to check the gearbox oil level,I would like to explore other options first that
I can DIY. Uncle Jarance, is the solenoids for the gearbox located in the fusebox or is it somewhere else. Yesterday
even though I park my ride on a flat ground I get this problem so maybe its not the GB oil level but something else.....
maybe like uncle Jarance mention - solenoid.

Thanks & Rdgs,

VNP

As mentioned by some of the guys here, it could be oil level. It can be easily check by raising the car on the lifter.

There is no dipstick for the GB. To check is to open the filling plug. If oil is flow out, then the level is OK. If there is non, the mechanic usually will fill until it start to overflow.

The solenoid is located in the GB. It can be tested with a diagnostic tools (activating the solenoid).
To change the solenoid, you have to drain all the ATF fluid. Normally, you changed the filter when you change the ATF and the solenoid.

Here is the ATF filter. It the black thing located at the most bottom of the picture.
BMW16.jpg

The solenoid is located in the solenoid module. (See the 2 wires connected to it) FYI, the solenoid can be replace individually unlike some of the newer GB.
BMW21.jpg

and of course, change the gasket to prevent oil leak.

whack the GB and then change to manual ...no need to cry again ..once for all ....

yeh as many mentioned could be due to the low ATF level

Thanks Uncle Jarance for the lenghty explanation together with the photos. Now have a clearer
picture and better understanding of what might be the problem.

Iceman 13,
Thanks for your advice. Will keep that option open when the GB kaput (touchwood and God forbid)
but too sayang my ride to "whack" it.

Rdgs,

VNP

VNP;716542 said:
Thanks Uncle Jarance for the lenghty explanation together with the photos. Now have a clearer
picture and better understanding of what might be the problem.

Iceman 13,
Thanks for your advice. Will keep that option open when the GB kaput (touchwood and God forbid)
but too sayang my ride to "whack" it.

Rdgs,

VNP

when ya tend to sayang ya BM it tends to breakdown often ..but when unleash the heart with some whacking ...it loves it and no breakdown ....

BMW are meant to be driven. not sayang sayang. in germany, bmw are push hard and no issues. cars that are sayang sayang will eventually have more issues.
beautiful things are meant to be used. the more you use the better it gets.

Whoa I love both your philosophies. Will keep that in mind bro slyder and Iceman 13. But first must settle this
issue first. Just say if I eventually have to replace the ATF, how many litres would I need, I mean just the ATF
in the oil sump. I read somewhere it is 3 litres. Can anyone confirm this?

about there, but it is usually 4.5L depends if you open the the smaller sump...

but, please use the correct oil - DexIII i think it is for this GM Box, sold as 1 quart at Bavarian auto.

slyder;716634 said:
BMW are meant to be driven. not sayang sayang. in germany, bmw are push hard and no issues. cars that are sayang sayang will eventually have more issues.
beautiful things are meant to be used. the more you use the better it gets.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

cloudbuster;716808 said:
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

I find that really difficult to digest. It is just like saying the longer you use a tyre the better it becomes.....botak.. no?
Well if so many agree with what bro Slyder and bro Iceman said, I think there must be some truth in it eh........

Just send my ride to the mech and he said that I must leave the car there for some time for the GB oil to settle down.
Otherwise the level will not be so accurate. Since I came out during my lunch break so not enough time to check. The car was
placed on a lifter to check for leaks around the GB but non was found.Meanwhile he hooked up the diagnostic scanner and two
errors came up. First one is code 018- Kick down switch and the second error is code 008-Selector-lever position (OBD11:p0705; EU111: P0705.)
The errors were reset and need to monitor further to see if the GB light still stays lit. Could these errors cause the GB light to remain on?
Can the BMW sifus shed some light here? Many thanks in advance.

Top Bottom