FUEL Load

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ICEMAN 68

Founding Member
well just want to know more details lorrr about the amount of load that's the best suitable in a beemer...low tank ( yellow light on ) -- car becomes lighter and have more power ?? any side effects towards the fuel pump ?Mid range -- is this the best range to keep our fuel at ?Full tank -- car becomes heavier and wear and tear occurs to our rear tyres more fast ??well i always keep my fuel load at the mid range and only fill up upon the yellow light comes on or before it....what about the rest !! any pro and cons of this matter ....

I prefer not to run out of fuel so i never let the Reserve light light up.

case of if we run out of fuel ... can be re-start back the car after re-filling it up with some fuel ??

Originally posted by ICEMAN 13@Jun 28 2006, 03:06 AM
case of if we run out of fuel ... can be re-start back the car after re-filling it up with some fuel ??
Should be able to once your fuel pump has primed the fuel into the lines. Turn ignition to 'ON' position and wait until the fuel pump stops running, then turn key to 'START'. If it doesnt start first time then crank again.

Was told that there are a lot of sediments and dirt inside the fuel tank esp for old cars. Keeping the fuel at min will force the pump to deliver 'contaminated fuel'. Granted - there is a fuel filter but that is not good enuf.

I always keep my fuel at least 1/4 mark - before topping up.

A few kg of diff (due to the fuel weight) will not make any diff. I am much lighter than 'Jejaka Air batu 13' ...

Originally posted by ICEMAN 13@Jun 28 2006, 12:55 PM

low tank ( yellow light on ) -- car becomes lighter and have more power ?? any side effects towards the fuel pump ?

Not a good idea to run to the point the warning light comes on. Must remember that the pump is an electro-mechanical device. It generates heat.

The fuel in the tank acts as "coolant" - thereby keeping the operating temperature of the pump lower.

Heat will eventually result in premature pump failure.

Ideally, you would run on about 1/4 tank for efficiency, in terms of weight savings etc. However, you will have to visit the petrol station more often, which to me is like too much of a waste of time.

Filling it to the brim could be wasteful if u drive spiritedly. The fuel could be lost through the overflow tube when you corner hard. Start worrying if it gets out though your fuel cap :nyehehe: - means u need a new one (not usually the case).

To be on the safe side, keep the fuel tank not less than 1/4 level. And if still want to go below 1/4 tank avoid sporty driving cause it will overheat the fuel pump which got no cooling from the surrounding petrol in the tank. There's always a reason why in the owners manual always states "avoid sporty driving with fuel tank below 1/4 level".

Bro Iceman,

i guess keeping the tank at mid range wud be the most ideal as the better mileage from full to mid.

yup...i agree with that...the thing is if u fill up to the max u'll have less pit stops i'd say...so if ur access to a petrol station is nearby then its ok however if for some weird unexplained reason u live somewhere where the station is miles away from where u live..or work...then i dont think its wise to filll up soo many times coz it will be balanced out by the fact that u have to drive quite a fair bit of distance to the petrol station...

USe Primax 3 by Petronas! More MIleage and Smoother Engine! :D

(I AM NOT EMPLOyed by PEtroNAs)

:yahoo:

i always pump when the tank is almost empty (habbit to use all the fuel b4 adding the new one) really no good to the fuel pump? then guess next time yellow light ON only i will fill it back. the yellow light can still take me between 50-80km)

Originally posted by Mouse@Jun 30 2006, 01:07 PM
i always pump when the tank is almost empty (habbit to use all the fuel b4 adding the new one) really no good to the fuel pump? then guess next time yellow light ON only i will fill it back. the yellow light can still take me between 50-80km)
Not sure if that's a good practice to stick to, cause the pump motor may be hanging high and dry once the fuel level past the 1/4 mark.

I hope we won't hear a 'fuel pump kaput thread' from u in the near future. Hmmmm.. Wonder how much is a E46 fuel pump? A new E30 318i fuel pump cost RM800. Would the E46 fuel pump cost less than that?

EDIT: I notice the E30 fuel pump motor has a foam tube covering the motor. I reckoned it has capillary effect to soak up fuel to cool the pump motor. Why? cause the motor won't be submerge all the time so it needs something to cool it when it's not fully submerged. Something like putting a cool towel on your head on a hot sunny summer day.

The point is, when the fuel level is too level for the foam to soak any fuel to cool the pump, then the pump would be running hotter without any cooling. Over time, it'll cause premature wear and tear.

Just an advice. ENSURE that your fuel indicator works at its supposed to, ie lights up at very low level or the needle goes all the way down.

My previous E34 was sold to my buddy. My buddy drove on till one day, the car died on him. Thinking it was fuel pump or other problems, he was stuck roadside for couple of hours waiting for workshop fella (and me) to rescue him. Turns out, he had no fuel left in the tank, despite the meter showing 1/4 full!! The fuel float was stuck at 1/4 level and wont go down even if the fuel was empty!!

I had always filled when 1/4 full and fills it all the way to the brim with every top-up, i never let the needle drop any lower, so i had not noticed of it.

So pls ensure the things that you rely on as indicators of yr car's health (ie meters, floats, sensors, etc.) all works fine.

And Jejaka Air Batu 13, aku pun tak sebanyak kilo as u, so full tank each time wont affect a lot, versus the inconvienences of topping up every day. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by ICEMAN 13@Jun 28 2006, 12:55 PM
well just want to know more details lorrr about the amount of load that's the best suitable in a beemer...

low tank ( yellow light on ) -- car becomes lighter and have more power ?? any side effects towards the fuel pump ?

Mid range -- is this the best range to keep our fuel at ?

Full tank -- car becomes heavier and wear and tear occurs to our rear tyres more fast ??

well i always keep my fuel load at the mid range and only fill up upon the yellow light comes on or before it....

what about the rest !! any pro and cons of this matter ....
Depends on how much moolah got in pocket...

hehhehehe

depend on the state of the car..very seldom drive ..better keep to minimum level of fuel...put more or full tanks..it will vapourise quite fast...always drive ..better fill in full tank as more miliage can be gain from it..from my experience.. :p

according to BMW manual for E46 on page 71, it says that

"add fuel in good time, or there is a risk of running the tank dry and causing damage to the engine or the catalytic converter"

what does it mean by add fuel in good time? anyone know? it also did not mention on fuel pump damage?

It probally mean when u stll have money in the pockets...... :D

Whenever my tank level drops to 20L, i often top up to full (70L) i dont usually wait for the light to come on. You never know what could happen when the light is on, eventhough they say 30-50KM on your reserve petrol.

Top Bottom