foaming for the chasis

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yim1986

Club Guest
last few days, i saw a honda eg6 with a chasis fulll of solid foaming inside it, the function is to strengthen the chasis and body to bent. so anyone knows where and which shop provides this kind of service? of course is the cheaper the better... i just know there is one in sunway but i dont really know the exact price to do that... so anyone knows the price? share it with everyone so our e30 can remain solid body eventhough they are about 30 years old... :top:

cheap thing no good, good thing no cheap...
There are industrial application insulation foam and automotive foam... There are big differences in both types.. I did my chassis foaming in KL Auto using automotive foam...The foaming was done on the B pillar and the under door sills...

Vast difference in rigidity, can feel less chassis flex under hard cornering...

if you're a DIY person can buy the Wurth automotive foam and DIY ... Last i heard, these foam cans cost quite a bit too... Don't use the cheaper industrial foam which is flammable and not water-proof...

sorry... but foam are suppose to be soft!?
how can it stiffen up the chassis?

... newbie w techie stuffs!!!

Balloon without air inside is soft too, after filling in air, it become "rigid".. :D

I heard forming is good to improve chassis rigidity but it trap moist and promote rust inside out to your chassis. There's no free lunch, so you pay in terms of sacrificing your chassis subject it to internal rust and the foaming process is irreversible.

The earlier Alfasud model is one of those factory spec performance car OEM with foamed chassis and rust has plague the model ever since.

Think twice if you love your car and intend to keep it for the next generation.. :wink:

astroboy;426781 said:
The earlier Alfasud model is one of those factory spec performance car OEM with foamed chassis and rust has plague the model ever since.

Alfasud's rust problem is with the russian steel used... it's a well known problem...

as for trapping moisture, that is why u need specific automotive foam which doesn't retain moisture...

anyway, read this: http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...autofoam-vs-diy-insulation-foam-pls-read.html

Dear All Forum DIY fans,

As you know I was the one started the question on AutoFoam. I saw the AD at a local Mag & was interested as I did use this sort of expanding insulation foam for my projects while in college for Automotive projects. Therefore I took the liberty to find out more... Initially I thought I could DIY the foam for my car as it seems simple & since I am able to purchase it off the shelf at any major DIY shops at very much less the cost to send to car to the Professionals to do it. I did try to foam my car last year near Dec but unfortunately had an incident which the can nozzle broke me trying to press the foam out but nothing happened instead the neck broke & foam shot to my face & up the sky coming down to cover my whole car..... well I had an early Christmas! Now I found out later that the foam cans had a usage timeline meaning if you happened to get some stock this month & decide to foam couple of months later you can end up with 'less pressure + uneven expansion + unstable curing & adhesiveness' AGAIN I also found out the the foams we buy off shelf are known as 'Insulation Foam' means there are designed to expand & foam in areas with gaps but the same time exposed to air as indicated on the cans! THEY are NOT DESIGNED for other usage especially in a car! The expansion & gas pressure is great and it creates huge air pockets in between and is soft & easy to press down. It also takes in moisture meaning it can absorb water! And due to the larger gaps of pockets water can seep thru as well!

---------------------------

After reading the numerous posting here I decided to re-aquaint myself with this AutoFoam product & got in contact with Desmond & see for myself what a BIG MISTAKE I almost did to my own car! It's not that I could not DIY myself but its the fact that the products are NOT the same even though they are EXPANDING FOAM! This expansion of AutoFoam is slow - it oozles out NOT shoots out like the DIY cans. Also it does not cure by itself as it need an active agent to cure with. The density is greater akin to a Rubber mattress vs a PU foam mattress! A rubber mattress is denser & heavier & harder to press in than a foam mattress. The other property I seen is the ability for AutoFoam to hold in water in a bottle & not let the water seep thru or even soak in! That made me think dam lucky I didn't foam my car yet! Now another thing I found out was the torsional strength AutoFoam has oppose to DIY foams - It's harder to twist AutoFoam after it's fully cured than is to DIY foam! OK now AutoFoam is not for sound insulation as it is for strenghtening the car... the bonus or perception of less sound is because the body is not flexing so much & creating resonance sound that really BUGS the ears! Real sound proofing is your usual SP materials for autofreaks OK! (Like SuperLon) What is really good is that AutoFoam really does what it says and is able to strenghten the car which in returns make the car better, more comfortable, more responsive to drive. In example: if you are driving a Wira you get the similar feel to Waja (just example OK!) Whatever feel you get is your own perception as is my own so you have to find out yourself on that. Please do your own research if you are keen to foam your car and remember that DIY is fun & cheaper but we are not taking about grounding wires here OK! We are talking about a "Permanent Chemical Reaction Component" for your car! For me this time I have to give up DIYing & go with the Pros .... cause I couldn't buy AutoFoam off any shelf! Now I am fortunate I didn't managed to DIY foam my car as it seems the exploding incident was "A Blessing In Disguise".

"The other property I seen is the ability for AutoFoam to hold in water in a bottle & not let the water seep thru or even soak in!"

Looks like an advertisement to me.. no offense to Desmond, still, I'm not recommending it.:bootyshake:

astroboy;426792 said:
"The other property I seen is the ability for AutoFoam to hold in water in a bottle & not let the water seep thru or even soak in!"

Looks like an advertisement to me.. no offense to Desmond, still, I'm not recommending it.:bootyshake:

haha... KL Auto has that demo bottle for everyone to see anyway...

I'm just sharing information, it's up to those interested to make the decision..

fabianyee;426806 said:
haha... KL Auto has that demo bottle for everyone to see anyway...

I'm just sharing information, it's up to those interested to make the decision..

i did the same thing to test for water/moisture absorption before finally embarking on the DIY route...being a techie i do my own extensive test and research

to those interested or skeptics , please do your own research and test then decide, don't blame others if things go wrong, or don't offer advise which you don't really know or don't have any experience

Oh....seems like there is a big discussion about the foaming... well, what you discussed were what i'm worry about and urge to do it too, actually there is a AB mixture foaming in Europe, that's what i'm trying to find since i accidentally watched an episode of mythbuster. and speaking about the water proof or not, i really about to get confused, is it the foam absorbs the water or traps it in the air pillow in the foaming? and i'm very desperate to find a good solution to strengthen the e30 and keep it for another 10 years... i think you guys are having the same thinking right?

There was 1 time when I was in KL Auto when they did the A + B mixture foam on a Mazda Cosmo. it can only do for the door sill as it's applied by pouring the mixture. Usually, they would use Autofoam which is in aerosol cans...

the last models of the e39 and e38 uses foam on their cars, around the a,b & c pillars with the bottom big sill...

i have done the foam thingy since 2004, no issues.. need a lots of patience...

cheers...

pussy;427042 said:
the last models of the e39 and e38 uses foam on their cars, around the a,b & c pillars with the bottom big sill...

i have done the foam thingy since 2004, no issues.. need a lots of patience...

cheers...

you mean you did it all by yourself? so where can you get the material?so how's your car after foaming injection?

yes, did by myself, used the sika foam... the car chasis felt much much stiffer after it waited for 3 days before i drove the car.... now it's chuckable...

mind you, my foam was called 'foam party'.. really a mess...

KL Auto does a better job.. i have seen it...peace of mind..

pussy;427131 said:
yes, did by myself, used the sika foam... the car chasis felt much much stiffer after it waited for 3 days before i drove the car.... now it's chuckable...

mind you, my foam was called 'foam party'.. really a mess...

KL Auto does a better job.. i have seen it...peace of mind..
oh, you mean those celebration foaming spray?:eek:
wow, you are rock!i think i dun dare to try it if it is really that kind of spray...
what i want is something could last long and durable,
any idea?

IsaacVky;427135 said:
Or you can try thin roll cage. The beams hide inside your pillars.
i did think about it before, i planned to do it in the car , but don't know how much will it cost...
do you know the cost?

Top Bottom