first time buyer of 5 series

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

marcus8975

Club Guest
Hi I am looking to buy my friend's 2002 E39 520i 2.2l CKD model. Any one know what i should be paying for it? BMW quoted me RM92k. Is this a good price to buy it off the friend? Any major issues with this model? Not sure if it's double vanos or not - even the friend doesnt know. I've heard comments that the CKD model has real quality issues. Is that true?

2002 comes with double vanos if i'm not mistaken!!..why dont you go for 525!!

E39 520i (2.2 litre)

marcus8975;308698 said:
Hi I am looking to buy my friend's 2002 E39 520i 2.2l CKD model. Any one know what i should be paying for it? BMW quoted me RM92k. Is this a good price to buy it off the friend? Any major issues with this model? Not sure if it's double vanos or not - even the friend doesnt know. I've heard comments that the CKD model has real quality issues. Is that true?

bro,
RM 92k appeared to be OK. There are no major issues with this model. Yes, this is a double vanos (M54 engine) with 10 airbags model. Click here to know more about this engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M54

Since it's going to be a 6 year-old car, the following are the common maintenance parts which you need to pay attention to.........
Water Pump, Cooling Coil, Alternator, Bushing, Power Steering Rod , Fan Clutch, Aux Fan, Thermostat Sensor, Air cond belt, Auto-transmission Oil, Brake Oil, Power Steering Oil & Hose, Thermostat, Radiator, Brake Pad, Disc Plate, Fuel pump and Shock absorbers.

Check this thread for owners' experience on repair & maintenance
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413&page=19

Refer here for the service checklist
http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=55

If you are still in doubt, I suggest you get one of your friends who drive this similiar model for a final opinion. The bottom line is you need a reliable and honest mechanic to help you after you owned the car!

Good luck bro!

Thanks for both your replies. Is this car underpowered at 2.2l? Any idea what fuel consumption is like?

Fuel consumption

Thanks for both your replies guys. Is the car underpowered at 2.2l? What is fuel consumption like?

power and fuel consumption are relative... would depend on what you are comparing to...

marcus8975;310290 said:
Thanks for both your replies guys. Is the car underpowered at 2.2l? What is fuel consumption like?

bro,
FYI, the 520i 2.2 litre (M54 engine with 170bhp and 210Nm). On paper, the output superseded the previous M52 523i. Putting these numbers aside, I find the power is adequate for most occassions. At start-stop traffic, it felt a little 'draggy' but once on the move, it's effortless and the overall competency of this car is quite unsurpassed. I have tried the 525i (M54 engine, 192bhp and 245Nm) and the extra 'oomph' is always welcome!

You need to drive it to judge for yourself whether it is underpowered or not. Better still, if you have the chance, drive it back to back with a 523i or 525i. Then, make your own conclusion. As for fuel consumption, you could get 9km per litre with 70% city driving.

Apologies double posting due to the "upgraded" Forum/Website

this is a heavy car. Best to go with better displacement. After a while, you'll get itchy to upgrade.

Parts to check/replace as this is a heavy car are:
1. Suspension bushings
2. Tie rod/link rod/sway arm (must change very 2 years on avg)

Other parts to check include:
1. ABS sensors, controllers
2. Airbags and the sensors
3. VANOS (in case prev owner stretches the interval to change oil service too much)

take affan's advise.. even with a 525 i was itchy.. now jus got myself a 530...

well.. its good to settle for a 2.5 as you will be one happy owner, enuf power to pull the beast!

just to share with you, i own the same model, E39, 2.2 M54 double-vanos with 10 airbags. My registration card shows 2003, however, after checking on the markers and some parts, it shows 2002!. Some AB huh.

Anyway, I'm the 2nd owner of the car, all major parts (exclude wear & tear parts like brakes) are original, even the shocks. The previous owner did have a small encounter on the left front, therefore he changed the power steering rack to a recon and now it's leaking. the front bottom left cover was broken, so, had it changed too.

Some of the items that I had to change upto date
1) ABS controller unit (died on me and had ABS + ASC lights on. tried changing speed sensor but didn't solve the prob, therefore, confirmed unit issue) @128,000km
2) all 4 absorbers + mountings + rear wishbone
3) ATF (@118,000km) - when I took my car (the guy never changed before)
4) Brake fluid + new ori brake pads and discs for the front (rear still ok)
5) Radiator & tank - detected early signs - small leak marks so changed it (@ 119,000km)
6) Fan clutch - (@130,000km) fan didn't kick into high speed..jam i guess (now, very shiok fan sound)
7) air con belt (@130,000km)
8) double vanos unit (@130,000km) - this is rare issue...the previous owner used non-good quality oil and followed the 25k service interval, most probably caused the vanos to jam up cause the exhaust vanos wasn't working and didn't have any oil in it when dismantle - car was jerking at 4,500rpm region..no power at all.
9) valve cover gasket
10) aircon filter - changed to charcoal filter, much nicer now, fresh and no foul smell
11) air-filter
12) axle oil (@130,000km)
13) engine oil sensor (@ 118,000km, dealer changed for me as it was leaking)
14) engine oil dip-stick o-ring
15) radiator bleeder plug
16) spark plugs
17) battery
18) additional sound-dampening and heat shielding for the boot and passenger cabin
19) sprint-booster - at least now no lag and better torque feel.
20) windscreen cause leaking
21) door panels reseal cause glue not good, so water leak into cabin. now, used silicone to reseal the cover

All the above done since November 07 (when I took my car) until now.

Next in line
1) headlights
2) power-steering rack
3) rear left power window - sudah kong on me..
4) 17" rims
5) aircon compressor cause got noise
6) respray
7) ICE
8) tinting since mine currently too dark...hehehe..later lor

that's all for now...

Bros,

I'm driving the same model year 2003 since March, use mainly during weekends as family car. Yes I do find 2.2l a little underpower at start/stop situations eg traffic lights, toll gates, traffic jams, however once it's on the move, can feel some pull if hitting on the pedals.

I recently itchy want to replace the completely-faulty MID panel, but it would take time for the workshop to find a replacement for me. A 2nd itch is HID...however the workshop says better not change at the moment as rumour has it that JPJ will have some major crackdown July 08, so I'm just happily settle down with the beautiful angel-eyes :)

And yes my next UDM would be 2.5 or above :)

i hope u better test drive 2.2 and 2.5 you will consider 2.5

i oso test carefully last time...try to dun bother roadtax first if u wan to drive udm

this is my opinion only...nice to join us --- 5er ---

Top Bottom