First service due at 25000km?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Bro if you follow the 25k service schedule, the engine surely will kong faster. No such oil tt can guarantee long usage. ask any mechanic for bmw they will tell u the same, not to say they want to earn extra. Get an independent BMW w/shop chamge the oil, t think it will not void any warranty.

another thing try get a CBU unit next time. CKD still not of good quality. i got CBU unit e46 (not the recon one) and its better quality.

Guys - quite honestly, the "first fill" engine oil will last 25km without a sigh. The oil you get when you pick up your car for the first time (in BMW's case its Castrol) comes with an extremely high grade lubricant - that is not available to a retail consumer. The cost per litres of this oil is in the range of about USD50/litre (depending on brand) - and is supplied directly to manufacturing plants. The engine is then supplied "wet" with the lubrication to assembly plants around the world. Oil companies that supply "first fill" lubrications for 'high end' engines normally find it difficult to make money from this arrangement (due to the high cost of the Group 3 or even Group 4 base oils used and the extensive development cost and approvals required) - but they will still do it to get a share of the after sales service business - once the OEM endorses their lubricant as the engine's "first fill"....

That said - there is always merits to be extra safe in changing your lubricant once your car clocks 10,000km.... and thereafter you should change it every 10,000km - if you do use Synthetic Lubricants, and I would strongly encourage you to only run your engine with fully syn lubricants for brand new engines....

They can say whatever they wish about this "first fill" oil but to me if the manual says engine break-in is necessary, I expect metal dust to exist and I don't expect the oil filter to filter 100% of the metal dust. Such metal dust MUST NOT stay in the engine for more than 5000 km and please see for yourself..

"First fill" oil drained off an E90 at 5000km.. supposedly 20k km to go???
oilchange14.jpg

Astoboy,

Wuaaa, look at that oil. Its like the new crude just being pumped from the well la. Dangerous, dangerous.

Lubricant meant to provide a little cooling, sealing any opening for combustion, trap incomplete combustion carbon/water and lubricating any parts that come into contact. If the condition worsen, will the lubricant able to perform the job effectively. Change lube is definitely make the car happier and it will make you happy later.

Small price to pay for ultimate driving

astroboy;320402 said:
They can say whatever they wish about this "first fill" oil but to me if the manual says engine break-in is necessary, I expect metal dust to exist and I don't expect the oil filter to filter 100% of the metal dust. Such metal dust MUST NOT stay in the engine for more than 5000 km and please see for yourself..

"First fill" oil drained off an E90 at 5000km.. supposedly 20k km to go???
oilchange14.jpg

:cool: hmm.... looks like freshly brewed espresso... Yummy :D

something to share regarding lub:

Once i was on a plane on the back from europe to KL and a mat salleh sat next to me. We start a conversation and he happened to be an engineer working for shell on the way to east malaysia to an oil rig.

I took the advantage and asked him the pros and cons of lubricant oil (synth vs. non synth.). The layman explanation to me is that if i always drive at very high RPM then it make sense to do that. Otherwise i'm just contributing to his company profit. He also asked will my car value goes up if i always use full synth?

Using a normal mineral and changing often is most economical unless you have lots of $$$ and always drive at HIGH rpm...

As for new BMW i think it comes now with BSI+R for first 3 years or 100KM? If you miss the service interval or interfere with it then it may void the warranty. So please read the clause carefully before doing a lot of DIY as you may save a few hundred and void the BSI+R...

totoro;317652 said:
another thing try get a CBU unit next time. CKD still not of good quality. i got CBU unit e46 (not the recon one) and its better quality.

I used to have the same perception but when I joined the BMW Club Malaysia trip to BMW assembly plant in Shah Alam, I understood from the briefing and line tour that both CKD and CBU should be at the same quality std. Almost all of the parts are imported from Germany. The assembly processes are the same as in German. The Quality Assurance and Control are the same. Therefore, how can we conclude that CKD is not as in the same quality standards than CBU. Nonetheless, obviously, CKD does not come with some features like sunroof for example.

Anyway, as informed by a few folks, BMWs will be assembled in Inokom Kulim in the future. Hopefully we can do another BMW CM factory tour and share views on this topic. Nevertheless, I believe this opportunity is only open to BMW CM members only.

planta

Top Bottom