Factors of A Failed Radiator

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tongsatriani

Club Guest
Hello All,Recently I posted a case of my 11 months old BEHR radiator that cracks leading to a small leak.Now, someone told me these new radiators can easily fail due to numerous factors namely:- water pump- fan- temp sensorAnyone care to add in comments ?:)

tongsatriani said:
Hello All,

Recently I posted a case of my 11 months old BEHR radiator that cracks leading to a small leak.

Now, someone told me these new radiators can easily fail due to numerous factors namely:

- water pump
- fan
- temp sensor

Anyone care to add in comments ?:)

I have been told

- worn out gasket causing pressure build up in cooling system.

Yeah bro high pressure of cooling system can cause leak to radiator namely
1) water pump
2) fan & temp sensor
3) worn head gasket

I've just changed my radiator together wt water pump. Next to change my head gasket and top overhaul as well. It is better to do preventive maintenance rather than breakdown and major repair.

my cylinder head pipe (plasticky thingy between the engine and the firewall) broke last week, engine overheated a bit...got that repaired but ended having my radiator leaking as well....

blackrobe said:
my cylinder head pipe (plasticky thingy between the engine and the firewall) broke last week, engine overheated a bit...got that repaired but ended having my radiator leaking as well....

Yeah that pipe oso need to change if leaks. Anyway our UDM engine is very hot. U hv to monitor yr water level regularly to detect any leakage. In fact all cooling system parts must be checked if the car areadi more than 5 years.

Pay special attention to the "radiator outlet sensor". Contrary to popular beliefs, this sensor actually measures the coolant temperature, not the actual radiator outlet sensor. If the sensor is faulty, the first thing to suffer is the plastic radiator tank because it is sending the wrong infomation to the "E-fan sensor". Therefore, the E-fan is working at low RPM when it should be spinning at a higher RPM. Eventually, a crack will form at the radiator tank. The raditor itself is made of steel and can withstand a higher temperature.

Experienced engine overheated a few weeks ago. Prior to that, noticed that the air-cond fan was spining at a very high RPM causing loud noise. My mechanic said the high RPM of the air-cond fan was due to to much of air-cond gas being pumped in. He released some and the loud spinning of the air-cond fan solved. However a few days later, I experienced the dreaded engine overheating. After further check by the mechanic, he said the radiator fan was spinning at a very low RPM. He could even stopped the fan with a finger!. Changed the fan clutch, thermostat, water pump and wahed the radiator as well.
Now, I am concerned whether the "radiator outlet sensor" is faulty or not. If this sensor is faulty, would it show up in the diagnosis? So far, the radiator temprature is ok.

publicbus said:
Experienced engine overheated a few weeks ago. Prior to that, noticed that the air-cond fan was spining at a very high RPM causing loud noise. My mechanic said the high RPM of the air-cond fan was due to to much of air-cond gas being pumped in. He released some and the loud spinning of the air-cond fan solved. However a few days later, I experienced the dreaded engine overheating. After further check by the mechanic, he said the radiator fan was spinning at a very low RPM. He could even stopped the fan with a finger!. Changed the fan clutch, thermostat, water pump and wahed the radiator as well.
Now, I am concerned whether the "radiator outlet sensor" is faulty or not. If this sensor is faulty, would it show up in the diagnosis? So far, the radiator temprature is ok.

The way the system works is such that the "radiator outlet sensor" fault message will be displayed if a fault has been sensed in the sensor and it will be displayed while you diagnose the car. However, prior to that the system will try its best to correct the situation itself. When it gives up, the system will isolate the fault. When this happens, then only the "radiator outlet sensor" fault message will be displayed. Sometimes, it will take up to 2 to 3 days before the fault is registered. Depending of the nature of the fault, some fault can be reset. A sensor need to be replaced when the fault cannot be reset.

what is the difference between a bmw radiator and other japanese car radiator? any differences in design...?

faeizal said:
what is the difference between a bmw radiator and other japanese car radiator? any differences in design...?

The fact that the plastic expansion tank has to handle high pressure? It is a no-no to open the cap on the expansion tank of a Beemer.

No probs in a Jap car because the expansion tank is not under high pressure.

flash said:
No probs in a Jap car because the expansion tank is not under high pressure.

You sure or not..???? some Japanese car operating temps. is higher the our bimmer la.

Zoggee said:
You sure or not..???? some Japanese car operating temps. is higher the our bimmer la.

I think flash is referring to the reserviour tank that is made of plastic. It the tank where you top up the water for the radiator.

jarance said:
I think flash is referring to the reserviour tank that is made of plastic. It the tank where you top up the water for the radiator.

Yup, that is the one. In the Jap cars, those tanks are not pressurised unlike the Beemers. Damn, I prefer the Jap concept. Less headache. Never had plastic expansion tank failure with them.

Radiator

faeizal said:
so actually the beemer radiator dun hv that extra expansion tank issit???

No actually the quality of radiator this days are not as good as those days. I'm manufacturing radiators and I can say these days the material we use are less in terms of thickness. This is all cause with copetition of prices:mad:

Hi guys,

I'm into my 2nd mth with my 97 e39 (528i). This morning, "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" appeared... checked the reservoir tank and sure enuf level about 2-3 inches below marked required level. asked around with some foremen friends and all say "TAMBAH AIR AJE". Betul ker nie? No need to add the special coolant ker? Is this a common thing? Thanx in advance to all u experienced sifus......

faeizal;182459 said:

urm...one come from the west and the other from the east!!! :rolleyes:

mibeem;193351 said:
Hi guys,

I'm into my 2nd mth with my 97 e39 (528i). This morning, "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" appeared... checked the reservoir tank and sure enuf level about 2-3 inches below marked required level. asked around with some foremen friends and all say "TAMBAH AIR AJE". Betul ker nie? No need to add the special coolant ker? Is this a common thing? Thanx in advance to all u experienced sifus......

Can you see the gleam in their eyes which = to "OOOOoooo .. GONG XI FA CHAI angpow on the way!!!"

0. go to mechanic and ask them to check properly but prepare for 1 & 2 below
1. check for a few days if the water is consistantly dropping below 2-3 inchese
2. if so time to change water pump and thermostat or check out radiator (this is assumming there is no overheating or other issues)

p.s.
spend some $$$.. get a metal prop water pump not the plastic kipas wan!!!
and put in some coolant :p

Top Bottom