Error Message: LOW PROM FAILURE

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vibe9292

Club Guest
Hi to ALL E36 Seniors!I'm facing abit of problem understanding this error message on my 325i on-board computer, it states: LOW PROM FAILURECan any Seniors here advise what does it mean? I can't seems to figure out what's the problem about as my ride is still running rather smoothly. Thanks in advance! :top:

PROM = Programmable Read Only Memory

*type of non-volatile memory used in computers and other electronic devices to store small amounts of data that must be saved when power is removed, e.g., calibration tables or device configuration.

*Failure modes...

There are two limitations of stored information; endurance, and data retention.

During rewrites, the gate oxide in the floating-gate transistors gradually accumulates trapped electrons. The electric field of the trapped electrons adds to the electrons in the floating gate, lowering the window between threshold voltages for zeros vs ones. After sufficient number of rewrite cycles, the difference becomes too small to be recognizable, the cell is stuck in programmed state, and endurance failure occurs. The manufacturers usually specify minimal number of rewrites being 106 or more.

During storage, the electrons injected into the floating gate may drift through the insulator, especially at increased temperature, and cause charge loss, reverting the cell into erased state. The manufacturers usually guarantee data retention of 10 years or more.

thats all i know for now...try resetting the OBC, step 21:

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20484

good luck...

sachseelan;339454 said:
PROM = Programmable Read Only Memory

*type of non-volatile memory used in computers and other electronic devices to store small amounts of data that must be saved when power is removed, e.g., calibration tables or device configuration.

*Failure modes...

There are two limitations of stored information; endurance, and data retention.

During rewrites, the gate oxide in the floating-gate transistors gradually accumulates trapped electrons. The electric field of the trapped electrons adds to the electrons in the floating gate, lowering the window between threshold voltages for zeros vs ones. After sufficient number of rewrite cycles, the difference becomes too small to be recognizable, the cell is stuck in programmed state, and endurance failure occurs. The manufacturers usually specify minimal number of rewrites being 106 or more.

During storage, the electrons injected into the floating gate may drift through the insulator, especially at increased temperature, and cause charge loss, reverting the cell into erased state. The manufacturers usually guarantee data retention of 10 years or more.

thats all i know for now...try resetting the OBC, step 21:

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20484

good luck...

Hey thanks sachseelan! You seems to know alot about E36! Salute to you! :rock:

sachseelan;340137 said:
vibe, do let us know the outcome yeah..

cheers..

Hi there bro, I started the car the next day, everything seems normal already, very weird... :questionmark:

sachseelan;341189 said:
BMWeird...hahaha

good luck...

Haha you joker la! :five:

So far so good already, my friend was telling me it could be the Unichip in my car that's doing the 'weird' things & over-riding the car's original memory when I over-rev it, don't know true or not... :dontknow:

Top Bottom