E90 Sports Dashboard Binnacle

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Equalizer

Club Guest
From the moment I laid eyes on the "extended" dashboard of the E90 Sports, incorporating the LCD screen for iDrive, I have been wanting one ..... not the car, but just the dash!! :D It just looks much more balanced and transforms the entire luxury-look within the cabin. Would anyone out there have an idea of what it costs to:
  • change my entire plain-vanilla E90 dashboard to the Sports version, while maintaining all other controls, speedo cluster, radio etc etc
  • instead of installing iDrive which will obviously be a very costly affair, just use the LCD screen for regular DVD-playback
  • and while giving iDrive a pass, maintain the use of the small cubby hole for my Smartag!!
Who can I talk to at BMW?? Anyone knows anyone at Glenmarie? :confused: Or can we have this fitted down south at Singapore? Calling guru KLDC - have you come across anyone doing this in the States??

Did someone call me? :D

Well for starters, I must say this is an insane idea, but for academic purposes, let's discuss this.

First, its a good thing you didn't mention about retrofitting i-drive because I'd immediately say nay (idrive runs on a completely different operating system than non i drive cars)

So there is a degree of feasibility about retrofitting an i-drive dash and using that space to custom house an lcd screen that can be fitted to an AV source or even a car PC system (with wireless keyboard) and other multi-media solutions like hard-drive, xbox or Playstation. You're limited only by your imagination. All the components can be housed in the glovebox or trunk. Again, its not too bad of an idea.

The hard part is that the dash is actually one whole piece. You just can't replace the top and call it a day.

This is the realoem.com drawup of the parts involved in your possible retrofit project.

e90dash.jpg

You can see its not a light task. Estimates have it at at least 8 hours tech labor and about minimum USD1,000 in parts. I guess it doesn't sound that bad, but keep in mind once you start dismantling the dash, you're opening up a can of worms wrt to electrical glitches and rattles.

GL and keep us posted if you're going forward with the idea.

Get the part numbers from realoem and check with your dealership. The cheaper labor rates in Malaysia might actually work in your favor in making this thing a reality.

Also don't forget you have to custom mount your existing HVAC and MID controls/unit/faceplate as well. The i-drive dash has a different center fascia.

I too love the 2nd binnacle. However, I think it would be insane to try and retrofit it. One lesson I learned is never ever remove your dashboard as far as possible cause after that it will never be the same again. Rattles will hound you like crazy.

Just my opinion

Agree fully with KL2DC and danc. Not a good nor viable idea, Equalizer. Assuming that you manage to do it as you plan, when you then sit in a Sports with real idrive and satnav, you'll then want the real thing and yearn for it rather than your quarter-way version.

Changing a dash in a lux car is a big job and involves the whole assmbly, and as danc said, problems will abound. One S80 that I bought had a bunk dash and Volvo changed it, and it was still bunk. They finally changed the whole car after 6 months! It's like an organ transplant - not to be done unless death is imminent. :D

Far better to consider upgrading your present ride to a real Sports. It's a good package over the Standard with all the M bits and iDrive. ;)

Ok after Herr Schwepps and Herr danc's reaffirmation that a dash exchange is a crazy idea...

How about an i-drive knockoff?? :p yay or nay?

5155c4f7.jpg

Thanks so much for the opinions, guys - and yes, guru KL2DC, you never disappoint ..... ;) Thanks to Danc and Schwepps too.

It does sound like a jumping-off-the-30th-floor-and-still shooting-self-in-the-head-on-the-way-down kinda idea :D but a key thing here is that I am unwilling to take a loss of probably RM50k on my 5000-kilometer car now and go for the Sports, then go through the whole cycle of depreciation again. At the end of the day, I may well be paying RM100k for the dash!!! :eek: because this is the only thing I really want. Oh, of course one would then argue that I'd have sports suspension, seats, wheels, bodykits, i-drive etc all for free ..... but these are stuff that I don't particularly want, especially the bodykit.

I have seen customizers remove anything in a car and fit back to perfection - a friend of mine actually had an entire dashboard and center fascia removed, leather-stitched and then put back. It feels and looks great.

Let's see whether I can find time to run down to Glenmarie in the next couple of weeks - watch this space!!

PS - the knockoff is a ..... err ..... uhmm ..... can't find a word for it, sorry!!

:) Crazy ideas send men to the moon, Equalizer. But when you go to Glenmarie, test drive the Sports again and make SURE that you don't really want the whole kit...M-seats, M-steering, etc, etc.

Don't do a heart transplant using a female heart and then find out that you really wanted to be a girl all the way. :D

Schwepps;208031 said:
Don't do a heart transplant using a female heart and then find out that you really wanted to be a girl all the way. :D

WTF ... lol your offbeat quips never cease to humor me :p

Equalizer...GL with your ambitious project.

Looks like you'd need both BMW tech labor and a good aftermarket shop to fit in the AV equipment.

At the basic level, a 1/2 DIN DVD in the glovebox feeding to the custom LCD monitor with audio through the aux in would do.

There is a great place in the glovebox for a 1/2 DIN DVD player
Dvd20Player2028Medium29.jpg

There is just about ample space in the i-drive screen slot to custom mount your LCD screen with ample cooling and associated hardware...
25.jpg

If you're more ambitious, and since you have this section open, I'd suggest fitting in a rear view camera system.

Check out the Car PC idea while you're at it :p A compact PC or Apple mini is easily mountable in the trunk. Combine with a wireless keyboard and trackball. If you have mobile internet access, why that'd be one honking setup. Certainly a fun place to be while crawling through KL traffic.

Schwepps;208031 said:

:D :D :D :D :D No-lah, I never wanted to be a girl, not now, not tomorrow and never in my next life!!!!! I can never draw a parallel with anything else that we have, that spends most of its time just "hanging around" but yet is center to the very existence of the entire .....

Frankly, the Sports will definitely be a natural choice if I am only now shopping for a E90 - this is the fault of BMW Malaysia for not having released information of the Sports back then :mad: cos I would have waited the few months.

KL2DC - is your middle name Wikipedia or something????

I would agree with KL2DC that my analogies are a bit offbeat, but my mind thinks like that :p We are, afterall, all of us a bit weird. I mean, who can come up with shots of 1/2 DIN DVD players in gloveboxes for heaven's sakes? Who would even think of such things in the first place? Weird! Honkin', but weird.

Serious time: I wanted to step into the world of E90 when I first started posting in August last year but I had a gut feel that i should wait. I think you should wait too, Equalizer. It's only a dashboard. Drive your 325i for another year without a DVD player on the dash. (What movies do you want to watch anyway while you're driving fast like a 3-er should be driven?) By then it'll be near to facelift time. There'll be other things to consider.

Schwepps;208100 said:
Serious time: I wanted to step into the world of E90 when I first started posting in August last year but I had a gut feel that i should wait. I think you should wait too, Equalizer. It's only a dashboard.
Yes Schwepps, I do remember your patience as I was all the while lurking around the few early threads we had. I admire you and wish I had your discipline!! :D

I may not be actually watching any dvd on the screen (in fact my CD-changer in the boot has not even been tested - I am THAT kinda guy!!) and I have the radio playing only very rarely and when I am really really bored ..... besides, our E90 has a pathetic-sounding system. My interest in the extra hump on the dashboard is purely for aesthetic reasons because I used to have a E60 for about nine months and kinda miss it .....

I can...perhaps...understand your being turned on by an extra hump on the dash...maybe... :rolleyes: But if it's just to look at and you're not really going to watch Spiderman 3 while driving, then I would say you are crazy! :D

Get the real McCoy or wait until next year la. You already have a superb car in a 2006 325i man!

ai yoh..... Schwepps.... just borrow your e90 sports to Equalizer for a week and let him be satisfied :) hehehe....

Sorry David, Equalizer, but my baby's two sumptious humps will be for me alone to gawk at and enjoy :)

I reckon that at 1yr+, it'll be worthwhile to trade up from the Standard to the Sports as the initial depreciation drop would be over, you would have enjoyed the car, and it would still be new enough to fetch a very good price. Think early 2008, Equalizer. New options will probably be available by then too. (Racun! Racun! :D)

Schwepps;208427 said:
Think early 2008, Equalizer. New options will probably be available by then too. (Racun! Racun! :D)
Yeah, for some strange reason (midlife crisis??) I have of late been leaning on those Nissan 350Z roadsters ..... :rolleyes: I was offered a brand new but 2005-mfg by Tan Chong Singapore, weekend-reg inclusive COE at about RM350k ..... and it's a roadster, not coupe!! Oh, two-years unlimited warranty too :D Servicing can be arranged at Tan Chong Malaysia.

Oh yeah, there are two humps too, behind the headrests!!

Oh wowww... that sounds like a honkin' deal man! Tan Chong is a good company...I know some key family members and they're genuinely customer-oriented. Giving good value and service is top priority to them.

Nissan 350Z roadster....ssssex-yyyyy! :p Forget the double-hump dash - go for it!

Top Bottom