E90 Navigation System

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bsoosay

Club Guest
Hi All,Just checking with drivers, has anyone updated their Navigation Software? Mine is the E90 323 2009 model. I believe the software needs to be loaded into the Hard Disk of the car. I called Ingress Auto and was informed that the Software Update for 2011 costs RM2000!!!Has anyone done an update or is there any other place that's cheaper?Thanks for your advice and help.

If your car still under warranty shouldn't the update be included in the warranty?

B33mEr;584711 said:
If your car still under warranty shouldn't the update be included in the warranty?
The answer is NO. You gotta pay for the update. :smokin:

Jay Bigbang;584713 said:
The answer is NO. You gotta pay for the update. :smokin:

Wow ... I always thought that firmware updates (DME, G/B software and Sat Nav) should be free if the car is still in warranty ...
Banyak Makan Wang indeed :D

For RM2K, I will get the latest Garmin with spare change and get mapping updates for free...........thats what I am doing at the moment.

if it's 2k.. do u get the update DVD?
if yes maybe can find a pool of ppl who wants to update and share the cost..
if can find 50 guys will be only rm 40 per person:top:
if find 20 person is good enough too... 100 bucks only

not sure it will work though:102:

Nope this is not a DVD, but rather some code that needs to be keyed into the system and then the software updated to the hard disk.

Stanley, is your Garmin a seperate navigaton system in your car? Meaning, now you have 2 Navigation systems in your car right?

bsoosay;584901 said:
Nope this is not a DVD, but rather some code that needs to be keyed into the system and then the software updated to the hard disk.

Stanley, is your Garmin a seperate navigaton system in your car? Meaning, now you have 2 Navigation systems in your car right?

but the nav update comes in a dvd format ...that im pretty sure

Yes correct, achtung and bsoosay. Apparently each branch (eg.ABKL) only has one DVD copy, say 2010 version. THen, if you want to purchase the 2010 map update, then ABKL would need to order the from BMW AG for a price, then BMW AG will send ABKL a copy of the license code, ie. a piece of paper so that the technician can install the physical DVD copy they currently have and activate it with the code sent by BMW AG. Apparently, they need to provide your VIN in order to place an order. So, it looks like the Navi Map update is pretty much a controlled software. Not sure if anyone out there can do it without going the code? Jailbreak perhaps, no?

Car produced from 2009 onwards are on hard disk version. Meaning there is no DVD slot.
However parallel import cars 2009 or 2010 are still using DVD.

racheltoh;585203 said:
Car produced from 2009 onwards are on hard disk version. Meaning there is no DVD slot.
However parallel import cars 2009 or 2010 are still using DVD.

2009 e90 player got dvd slot ma!!! thats how to install the update racheltoh.......

Yes rachel you r right by saying that its 2 different systmes and achtung is also correct both pre-2009 or post 2009 cars do have DVD players. THe pre-2009 cars uses the DVD discs to read the map data I suppose (correct me if i am wrong)ie. the DVD needs to be in there all the time, whereas the post 2009 cars just needs the DVD discs to be loaded in so that the map data can be downloaded into the internal built in HDD. There after, you can watch movies with your iDrive Control Display when your car is stationary/while idling.

Let me recount my experience with BMW NavPro yesterday. Was up in Alor Setar for a day-trip meeting and was driving home late in the afternoon. Just impulsively decided to overnight in Penang and grab some good hawker food and rest. Approaching the bridge, brought up Navigation and did a search of hotels within 50km radius. Up pops a list of hotels with location. Scroll through and find a few possibles in Georgetown. Phone no is included, so highlight and click the number and seemlessly dial my phone through bluetooth. After making 3 calls, booked a decent room with breakfast. By then I'm at the end of the bridge, so click guidance. The lady immediately tells me to keep right and guides me through the streets of Georgetown straight to the hotel - I don't even need to look at the map. All this is done without needing to take my foot off the pedal. :top:

I've used Garmins in my work since they were first available here at exhorbitant prices, and with black and white screens. But show me a Garmin that can do that so luxuriously! If you need the upgrade, get it. I'm still using a 2008 DVD and it's more than good enough.

had a chat with the SA from Quill during lube change today..
map update available ... he said around RM 200 only. must make appointment. didn't have time to update mine today.
he will confirm the price and i will update it here...

If true, that would be very good indeed! Although I'm not really fussed as the only time I've found that my 2008 map is out of date is when DUKE opened, and I don't need a map for DUKE anyway.

Wow...Will give Ingress a call on Monday n check the price out. KL roads on the 07 map are all outdated.

My 2008 map is also outdated without MEX and Smart Tunnel. Anyway, I think the RM200 is a download and not the DVD. Anyone can confirm?

Do you really need MEX and Smart Tunnel and KL roads unless you're from another city? I can vouch from recent experience that Penang roads haven't changed for decades, maybe a century. MacAlister, Anson and Pengkalen Weld are still as they were before, and it's in those places that I need NavPro guidance. :)

Yeah, RM200 sounds too good to be true. Eagerly awaiting achtung's report!

Top Bottom