E90 320i power...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Spaceman

Club Guest
i know this quite funny to post this question, but with the 200nm of torque at 3600 rpm, can this 320i easily pull away from the stock Japanese make like the Waja, CIVIC, Perdana V6....etc..etc..?i dont want to pay RM270K and get smoked....by unmoded cars...that's a shame...!

Originally posted by Spaceman@May 12 2005, 10:36 PM
i know this quite funny to post this question, but with the 200nm of torque at 3600 rpm, can this 320i easily pull away from the stock Japanese make like the Waja, CIVIC, Perdana V6....etc..etc..?
i dont want to pay RM270K and get smoked....by unmoded cars...that's a shame...!
In GENERAL, cc for cc, most contis will lose to Jap cars because of the Jap higher final drive, and also most contis will be heavier.

If you are concerned about power, then 320i is not the machine for you. The E90 easily weighs 200-300kg (at least, if not more) more than those cars you mentioned. When you buy a 320i, it's not about being smoked but about getting faster car jockey service at hotels & clubs :p

sadly the E90 320i has only 4 cylinders with 150hp, if it has the same engine like E46 320i has 6cylinders doulbe vanos with 170hp. i'm sure very few saloon car can gets close to u. Buddy, try to consider the E90 325i is truely impress with all the features in and especially the 218hp will put ur head back to ur headrest. Oh gash i like the silky smooth L6 engine.

i think he's only got 270 to spent, hence the 320i question. if you're wanting to 'smoke' your friends jap cars, then i suggest you get another one and joint them! ;)

Or maybe u can consider to get the RM 200K RX8 with optional goodies. i think it may boost up to 250HP. i'm afraid u r among the fastest.
But for myself i still prefer the continental motors.

My opinion, buying the 320i is not about all-out performance. You have to enjoy the overall package of the car...ride&handling, NVH, luxury feel, solid chassis & sufficient power (+ top speed).
Due to power-weight ratio of conti cars, if you want performance, then go for the more powerful engines of the 325, 330 or M3 :nyehehe:

thanks for the advice guys!
one thing w/out doubt is that a 320i with 17"/18" rims gonna slow down the responsiveness of power, pick-up..etc..etc, so chances of getting smoked by stock Jap car is very high...and i dont want to pay a RM270K and get insulted on the highway...except for the heavily moded Ah Beng type Turbos.... :D

since that is the case, i might hold back for another 6-8 months and try my best to get a 325i then... ;)

Originally posted by samhun@May 13 2005, 02:27 AM
Or maybe u can consider to get the RM 200K RX8 with optional goodies. i think it may boost up to 250HP. i'm afraid u r among the fastest.
But for myself i still prefer the continental motors.
though about RX8 long ago, but sadly its a small car afterall...
that's why i prefer the BMW..

Originally posted by Spaceman@May 12 2005, 10:49 PM
thanks for the advice guys!
one thing w/out doubt is that a 320i with 17"/18" rims gonna slow down the responsiveness of power, pick-up..etc..etc, so chances of getting smoked by stock Jap car is very high...and i dont want to pay a RM270K and get insulted on the highway...except for the heavily moded Ah Beng type Turbos.... :D

since that is the case, i might hold back for another 6-8 months and try my best to get a 325i then... ;)
You will likely still get smoked by Ah Beng turbo types with the 325i.. So my adivise is for RM270k, get a WRX STi from Naza and leave some spare $$ for high boost mods.

aiyo.. if you are concerned about being tapau-ed by ahbengs, I suggest you save up big time and get a rocket instead. There'll always be cars that can tapau yours if yours is NA with maybe some mods. Don't worry about what others do or say about your car la. It's your money and it's your choice.

the torque of the car is my main concern...big torque at low rpm is much preferable...the 325i push out 250nm at 2600/2700 rpm really pulls away from others in seconds and thus leaving them to take longer time to even tail you..this is what i like most...sadly the 320i cant do much with nice 17"/18" on it...

Spaceman,

Replying to your title - what car can come close.....MANY can & will pass you. If you think 200NM is awesome, you should try the new Golf GTi ( 280Nm Max at 1800rpm )....priced at about RM220K only....

Read some member's review here http://bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2853

In your content, you asked what STOCK Jap car can do the same.....I think any driver who is desperate enugh to try pass u in WHATEVER road circumstances, they will - even in a Kancil.

Please dun buy a car based on how well it will hold up against being smoked by other ROAD users - you will be frustrated at the end, no matter what car you buy & how much you spend.

Just my 2 kupangs.

Originally posted by Jules@May 13 2005, 12:31 PM
.......In your content, you asked what STOCK Jap car can do the same.....I think any driver who is desperate enugh to try pass u in WHATEVER road circumstances, they will - even in a Kancil.

Please dun buy a car based on how well it will hold up against being smoked by other ROAD users - you will be frustrated at the end, no matter what car you buy & how much you spend.

Just my 2 kupangs.
Very true.

If you don't want to get smoked in an E90 320i, drive at 150kph in 4th or 5th gear all the time (E90 has 6 gears, rite?) :p Not many stock Protons & Japs will get close to you. Most japs speed cut at 180, Waja takes a while to reach 180, whereas you still have another 50kph in reserve and
you have 6 gears to play with !

e90 320...

underpowered... underpowered... underpowered....

will even lose out to many of the forumers' e30...

the solution?

mod... mod... mod....

or buy 325 or 330...

or be happy with what u got.....

But then again, if all you want is refinement, comfort and brand cachet (in Malaysia), go for a Mercedes C class! At least that stradles the comfort/performance compromise must better (in my opinion), in the sense that it does not falsely portray itself as anything but a upper class motor used for the conveyance of wealthier Malaysians.

Unlike BMW.

"Sheer driving pleasure".

"Ultimate Driving Machine".

2 litres, 4 pots, 150hp, in something that weighs 1.5 tons. Right.

Who are they kidding?

Edit; yes, BMW does have amazing engine technology that's been brought to the masses, but one disadvantage of such is the inability to mod the car. So, you're stuck with what you've got, I'm afraid.

I wonder if there are any plans to bring in the 4 pot diesel. Seems to be getting rave reviews overseas. Perhaps that will solve the power issue.

i had a look at the Class initially b4 the E90 launch. my heart really likes the C. but, looking in the mirror i'm too young for it. that's why now seriously getting a bimmer.

jules: i know what you mean, thanks. when i first bought a Satria GTi after freshly graduated, i've been at least 160kph on NS highway travelling JB-KL. I know the frustration when i cant keep up even with a Waja sometimes and get smoked by Moded Wira Turbos...thinking of IF i had the guts i will definitely throw in money and mod my GTi into another Turbo and fight with them...but sadly, i dont. i never like to heavily mod a stock car, cos it doesnt fetch resale value and its a waste of money.
that's why i thought of getting a comfortable yet with reasonable power car that would hold its value after 4-5 of use and sell it while withholding the image of being a proud owner of a bimmer. most jap cars are no match for the solid built of a BMW, that's why i like it.

Top Bottom