E60 white exhaust smoke

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Grand

Club Guest
Hi all, I know there are quite a number of threads on this issue including those in the E90 forum. Mine is a 2005 E60 520i with M54 engine (mileage about 76,000 km). It all started after I changed engine oil to Shell Helix Ultra (5W-40). Prior to that, the previous owner was using Shell mineral oil and there is no issue of white smoke belching out from the exhaust. About 1-2 weeks after the engine oil change, i noticed white smoke coming out from the exhaust in the morning when I start the car, not every morning but maybe about 3 times in a week. If I drive the car around (in town) for quite a while in start stop traffic, white smoke would again come out when I start to move the car from standstill or traffic light. It doesn't happen frequently but just occasionally at the moment, enough to embarrass me. Coolant level is normal. Engine oil dropped slightly, something like about 3mm. No milky colour on the oil cap or coolant cap. Brought the car to a recommended BMW workshop in PJ area and they checked one of the spark plugs which has some carbon deposit. The owner opined that the engine is consuming the oil which is of lower viscosity grade now and advised me to pour in thicker oil additive like Bardahl 2 to stop or slow down the oil consumption before the next oil change which he suggested I use a thick mineral oil, possibly 50 grade like what the previous owner did to see whether there is any improvement. I know this involves possibly valve seal or gasket and a top overhaul would be due quite soon but pending that, is it advisable to pour in those thick oil additive like Bardahl 2? Already read carbibles.com and they normally advise you against using such additives. Put the said opinion to the owner of the workshop but he said it is quite safe to use. Would appreciate your input and opinion, thanks.

Another relevant point is that during the oil change, the previous mechanic overfilled by about 2-3mm above the max mark on the dipstick, I think he poured in 7 litre instead of the recommended 6.5 litre. How come all these mechanics never listen?

One comment I gathered from a search in the web : "normally if u over fill any engine the main concern is oil foaming or aeration from the bottom of the piston or rotating assembly dipping down and constantly frothing up the oil. Normally it causes oil consumption and engine depoists as it is easier to bypass the rings and splash onto the cylinder walls."

Wondering whether the smoke would stop once the extra oil are burned off?:smokin:

if its blue ish white with a strong smell, then is something to worry but if only appear in the morning, most likely its just condensation in the exhaust..

Went to Mspeed and Ah Meng opined that the culprit is either the valve seal or oil separator. :smokin: As replacement of the valve seal would take up to one week to complete, meng and i agree to change the oil separator first. Took his men about 1 1/2 hour to finish the job. Thereafter, voila, just a little puff of the remainder smoke trapped within the exhaust system and CAT and after a while no more smoke :rock:

Will blast down the highway during this holiday weekend to further test whether the dreaded smoke will come back. But these past 2 days appear to be good. No more smoke. Satisfied with the good workmanship and friendliness of Meng. The only drawback is his workshop is rather far from my house at PJ.

So my take is that it could be the cleansing agent within Shell Helix Ultra which I put in during the oil change which may have caused some deposit or dirt to be removed and clogged the oil separator which then caused it to malfunction allowing oil to seep thru :hmmmm:

Will update after monitoring the situation for another 1-2 weeks. :burnout:

I know what you mean. Meng told me he has customer who come all the way from Kota Bharu. As for me, all these while, I have been servicing my car around PJ. Hence its considered quite far for me la. And the jam near the traffic junction before Summit (above Kesas) is horrible. Nevertheless I must say the journey and jam is well worth it.

affan66;526521 said:
far? PJ far? heheh

i used to go there.. all the way from Ampang.

Ampang is still nothing lah! I visit him all the way from Penang! :wink:

Looks like the smoke is gone for good. Drove the car for a few days (mix city and highway).Luckily for me its not the valve seal, otherwise it would take up to week just to get to the valve and more than RM2k of dole.

Grand, do u feel any different in term of acceleration after the CCV been changed?

I paid RM800 for the oil separator plus labour. See whether you can bargain for lower with your mechanic and would appreciate if you could report back here if that solve your problem. Otherwise it would be the dreaded leaking valve seal.

Grand;561798 said:
I paid RM800 for the oil separator plus labour. See whether you can bargain for lower with your mechanic and would appreciate if you could report back here if that solve your problem. Otherwise it would be the dreaded leaking valve seal.

:listen:too expansive bro! I got mine at AB for less than RM400 plus labour.:listen:

Thanks bro for the info. I let my guard down as the mechanic came quite highly recommended in this fourm. Would be more careful in future. :motz:

Grand;562639 said:
Thanks bro for the info. I let my guard down as the mechanic came quite highly recommended in this fourm. Would be more careful in future. :motz:

no prob worries. we are here to always lend a hand....btw, always seek for second opinion b4 deciding on repairs, even if its from "sifu's" of UDM ;) ... need anything else, just post it in the forum or pm me, anytime :)

Top Bottom