E46 Transmission Fluid

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
JPM, how much it cost to change the oil, did u do a flush, is 320i, 2000, gear box same as as the 2.0 318?. I heard it need about 8 litre of oil, is this true..............

hi tank34, i'll check the price on the receipt and tell you tomorrow if i get online. If i remember correctly, its rm60 per litre and our car needs about 7litres (hot). Comfirm with you again.

hello, r424, well according to my mech, he said 40k should be a good time to do an oil and filter change which requires oil sum removal. And maybe later about 25k you can do an oil flush and refill with new oil without changing the filter. That is his advice la.

When i ask advice from AB before i done the oil change, they say they do not change ATF. But if i still insist on them to do, there will be an agreement that if anything bad were to happen, there will be no warranty. The advisor also told me that he knows many BMW are changing ATF at outside workshop. He also told me that when you change your ATF at a high milage (din say how high la), you might experience some gear slip due to worn off gears with new oil woh. I'm not sure about this. He then ask me my milage and i told him about 47k. Then he said, can la if u want to. But he kept it clear, that its up to me to decide.

Cream,thanks for the info.

Just one more question on this ATF change,wouldn't it be
necessary to flush also every time we change the fluid?
I'm sure there would still be some dead spaces retaining the old fluid
if we just drain and top up only,no?
What's yr take on this, anyone?

And one more thing, Benz uses Mobil 1 ATF and it costs ab RM30 per litre. Ab 9-10L is required for the job and flushing costs ab.RM95(in Ipoh) .

Originally posted by r424@Apr 28 2006, 09:53 AM
Cream,thanks for the info.

Just one more question on this ATF change,wouldn't it be
necessary to flush also every time we change the fluid?
I'm sure there would still be some dead spaces retaining the old fluid
if we just drain and top up only,no?
What's yr take on this, anyone?

And one more thing, Benz uses Mobil 1 ATF and it costs ab RM30 per litre. Ab 9-10L is required for the job and flushing costs ab.RM95(in Ipoh) .
1. Some say flushing would kill the gearbox if the car has already accumulated high mileage and has never had its ATF replaced.

2. Some say mere changing of the ATF would kill the gearbox if the car has already accumulated high mileage and has never had its ATF replaced.

Scary huh.

Guys,

I managed to talked to Auto bavaria and it is indeed not to be changed but normally & on personal basis, it is encouraged to change at 100k.

One more thing guys,..............before u buy yr UDM, u know it is expensive to maintain so why gramble about cost now?

Originally posted by mhkamil1@May 4 2006, 02:55 PM
One more thing guys,..............before u buy yr UDM, u know it is expensive to maintain so why gramble about cost now?
I think the cost of changing the ATF per se is not in issue here. The concern here is whether the gearbox would die after changing the ATF thus necessitating a costly repair job, or worse still, a very expensive gearbox replacement job - that kind of cost is not something that anyone would or ought to expect, whether they are BMW owners or otherwise.

Ya lah..orang bukan bising pasal cost or expensive to maintain. ayoyo :getyourfactsright:

Here's part of a response to this issue trying to explain the rationale of changing or not changing the ATF.

Changing the auto trans fluid on a high-mileage BMW is definitely not recommended, and the reason you were given was correct; dislodged gunk will clog the small valve bodies that control the transmission. We've seen a number of high-mileage auto trannies go ka-boom soon after a fluid change.

However, and this is the key point that must always be repeated when telling the story as above, if you change your auto trans fluid at a low mileage, say under 30K, and regularly every 30K afterwards, you should have no problems whatsoever and better performance over the life of the car. I would recommend Redline D4-ATF. There is nothing terribly special about the BMW autoboxes, they are the same as used in GM cars (which is a good thing, GM has the best automatics in the world).

If I bought a new BMW automatic, I would change the fluid along that schedule. But if it was purchased used with over 60K, leave the fluid alone until the transmission eventually dies.

- Rob Levinson

Originally posted by r424@May 4 2006, 03:37 PM
Here's part of a response to this issue trying to explain the rationale of changing or not changing the ATF.

Changing the auto trans fluid on a high-mileage BMW is definitely not recommended, and the reason you were given was correct; dislodged gunk will clog the small valve bodies that control the transmission. We've seen a number of high-mileage auto trannies go ka-boom soon after a fluid change.

However, and this is the key point that must always be repeated when telling the story as above, if you change your auto trans fluid at a low mileage, say under 30K, and regularly every 30K afterwards, you should have no problems whatsoever and better performance over the life of the car. I would recommend Redline D4-ATF. There is nothing terribly special about the BMW autoboxes, they are the same as used in GM cars (which is a good thing, GM has the best automatics in the world).

If I bought a new BMW automatic, I would change the fluid along that schedule. But if it was purchased used with over 60K, leave the fluid alone until the transmission eventually dies.

- Rob Levinson
So, for those with high mileage BMWs with autoboxes and who have never replaced the ATF thanks to the "lifetime ATF" representations, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Originally posted by wglee@May 4 2006, 03:51 PM

So, for those with high mileage BMWs with autoboxes and who have never replaced the ATF thanks to the "lifetime ATF" representations, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
[/quote]
Quite nicely put,I guess! :dunno:

I flushed my gearbox at the mileage of 90K km. Full flushing until the ATF was red in colour. Already done 6000km since then..had a long trip to kota bharu last week, agressive gear shifting, take over and hilly road...happy to say my gearbox still feel very smooth. I think it's already pass the probabation period :D

bmw auto tranny need to be service on every 100k km on normal kind of driving.on hard kind of driving it is best to be service at 75k km.on every service not only oil need to be change but the most important part is the AUTO TRANNY FILTER which always fail.When this filter fail even wit new atf,ur tranny will go off too.

so pls change ur filter,oil n the gasket..i can assure u that should be no problem..

for those having some problem such as slipping,hard changing gears or to the cheapest way to recond ur tranny is to add in LUBE GUARD addictives for auto transmission..this addictives as proven to all of the bimmer that i have used..even wit high mileage but my tranny still have the same power as i bought the car since the first day..

the best way to service.

1.drain old oil
2.replace auto tranny filter
3.fill up wit cheap dexron 3 fluid and run for few days wit normal driving.make sure run not more than 2k km.
4.drain the fluid n fill up wit bmw long life fluid.

extra performance.

instead of using bmw long life,change it to readline oil atf.e-mail them ur car model n they will advice u on the best oil to use to suit ur model..

wit redline oil i do gain extra 2-3 hp on my bimmer..n i does no slip at all on hard driving..

for more advice,feel free to ask me..

good luck to all members..

one dumbass question bros....just bought my car (after a month long deliberation)...fuihhh....mileage is 49k....do i need to change the ATF fuilds, filters and gasket?....

cheers

I suppose it's a good idea to start afresh by changing fluids and filters, given that it's a used car that you bought and especially if you don't know the service history of the car.

yup, i think so.. My car now 96k+ km now and planning to change the trans oil + filter + gasket change plus my axle oil change maybe next week.

Top Bottom