E46-Temperature issue

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

myezxs

Club Guest
Hi forumers,My e46(n46) has been experiencing a temperature rising whenever stationary/during idle after a short of long journey a couple of days ago.Today, after i parked and turned off the key, the radiator fan wont stop running. I have to unplugged the battery. Would appreciate some assistance from the forumers before i send the car to the mechanic. Is it safe for me to drive in this condition?(at least to the workshop)

myezxs;854293 said:
Hi forumers,

My e46(n46) has been experiencing a temperature rising whenever stationary/during idle after a short of long journey a couple of days ago.Today, after i parked and turned off the key, the radiator fan wont stop running. I have to unplugged the battery. Would appreciate some assistance from the forumers before i send the car to the mechanic. Is it safe for me to drive in this condition?(at least to the workshop)

The last time I experience this, is because there is a leak after the MAF sensor causing the engine to run lean thus increasing the engine temperature. The leak introduce unmetered air into combustion chamber.

I think the fan will turn itself off automatically, just leave it for a bit. Happens when the engine is hotter than usual.

The air leak was my problem, yours could be due to a totally different reason.

Cheers

If the temperature rises until it reaches the red mark then it is not safe to drive it to the mechanic. Get it towed

It will only rise during idle, goes back to normal when the car is moving

myezxs;854298 said:
It will only rise during idle, goes back to normal when the car is moving

There are a few possible issues related to this. Please check the following:

1) Air in the system either by cracked hose or air leaks into the system. Get a pressure test done. But the obvious tell tale sign is the loss of coolant inside the expansion tank. Did you check the coolant level?

2) If 1) above is not the cause then it could be a failing thermostat. Get it replaced.

3) It could also be that the high speed fans are faulty either the relays are shot or the high speed temp sensor switch has malfunctioned. The only solution is to replace them.But I think this is quite unlikely as it runs when the temp is high which what it is supposed to do.

Btw these issues can be easily resolved by any reputable BMW garage.

These are also DIY if you have plenty of time and proper tools provided you have properly diagnosed and know the root cause.

Get the parts required and have the ready before attempting the repair.

Thanks zib!

I guess I m not a diy kinda guy. :embarassed: the workshop tht i frquent to is about 45 to 1 hr drive from my hse . Is it safe to drive the car there.?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks zib!

I guess I m not a diy kinda guy. :embarassed: the workshop tht i frquent to is about 45 to 1 hr drive from my hse . Is it safe to drive the car there.?

myezxs;854326 said:
Thanks zib!

its safe if there no traffic jam,then u can go straight to workshorp if ur car temperature rise when its on idle mode.i experienced it before,it because of my tank resevoir crack and leaking,but yours maybe something else.

Top Bottom